Sponsored

Gloss black roof wrap - need opinions!

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Hey guys. I just got my roof wrap done and I love the overall look of the color scheme. I am pretty disappointed with the wrap up close though. There are quite a few small bubbles under the wrap. There are also some other imperfections that look like pieces of fuzz or hair that are under the wrap. I talked to the shop manager and he said they would redo it for me if I wasn't happy with it. I have never seen a gloss black roof wrap before - are imperfections to be expected with a wrap? He said the bubbles could be paint imperfections underneath but I don't think so. I spent a lot of time with a clay bar and a polisher on the roof about a month ago and the finish was darn near perfect. The plan right now is to give it a couple weeks to see if any of them dissolve on their own. Am I being unreasonable with my expectations on this? I was not expecting so many small bubbles under the wrap. There are probably 20 small bubbles overall and I attached a picture of a couple. I don't like complaining about things like this but I am not sure what to do. Thanks for the input...

20210326_213506.jpg

20210326_213600.jpg

20210326_214055.jpg
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Vinyl has orange peel. I doubt that’s tbd surface being dirty I bet that’s the texture of the vinyl

Avery is the best imo

Could be defects in the vinyl, the blisters. Shouldn’t have them, either debris or bad roll. Could be a cheaper line of vinyl

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
The edges are it being stretched too much. Use heat and Itl heal to a point

But... imo that is not quality install

OP
OP
MNstang

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
FYI - the vinyl used was 3M brand - I'm not sure if 3M has multiple grades of gloss black vinyl wrap...

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
FYI - the vinyl used was 3M brand - I'm not sure if 3M has multiple grades of gloss black vinyl wrap...
3m is perfectly fine. Avery 3m both great depending on the 3m line you get. Avery is easiest to lay down most pliable but 3m is no slouch.

I’ve never laid vinyl down that looked quite that non smooth.

He’s right, there’s air channeling in the vinyl. But it should be damn near instant, as soon as it’s squeegees or ran over with their tool.

Expel PPF is different, you use liquid substance and it evaporates through the film, just nature of PPF

Vinyl is just air, doesn’t really evaporate the same way. Any air trapped can pretty much be squeeged out, proper install

Touch it, if it’s hard. Somethings under it. Lol. Get a microfiber and run it over it, like a squeegee, if it isn’t moving, it isn’t air. It’s debri

OP
OP
MNstang

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
How long has it been? Even with my Xpel there were a few bubbles that took about a week to fully clear out.
They wrapped it yesterday - at the time of the picture the wrap had been on for about 8 hours. I'm planning to give it a week or two to see if it improves before I either have them try again or just peel it off and cut my losses...

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I've had gloss black roof wrap on my last 2 cars. They looked perfect both times right after install.
Yours looks like a poor quality install. Look like it was overheated in spots and not properly prepped prior to install.

OP
OP
MNstang

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I've had gloss black roof wrap on my last 2 cars. They looked perfect both times right after install.
Yours looks like a poor quality install. Look like it was overheated in spots and not properly prepped prior to install.
Yes, you are probably correct. Just can't decide what to do. I don't want to make them do it over again if they just can't do a better job (and I end up with the same, bubbly end result). I am contemplating asking for some of my money back and just asking them to pull it off the car. I don't think I can live with it the way it is. They are a local company that I have done business with before and I feel bad complaining about it but I just think it was not done very well. I paid them $280 (plus tax) to do it. This is not a huge amount - I just wish they would have warned me that there might be some imperfections. There are 20-25 small bubbles (or debris) under the wrap. I just can't imagine these are paint imperfections after the amount of time I spent with a clay bar and a polisher on the roof (and rest or the car) - this was one of the things the shop manager said could be causing the bubbles. The bubbles are honestly too small for me to feel and tell if they are filled with air or if something is under the wrap (debris)...

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
It’s not air. I can express this. It isn’t like PPF, those air bubbles was gone the second they used their squeegee

it’s terrible install, or bad sheet of vinyl

PPF has solution under it, that’s why bubbles go away they evaporate

this isn’t the same. There’s nothing under it except paint

Sponsored
OP
OP
MNstang

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
It’s not air. I can express this. It isn’t like PPF, those air bubbles was gone the second they used their squeegee

it’s terrible install, or bad sheet of vinyl

PPF has solution under it, that’s why bubbles go away they evaporate

this isn’t the same. There’s nothing under it except paint
What would you do in my situation? Try to get some money back and pull it off or ask them to have their lead installer try again? Does it literally just peel off or does it require anything special (heat, solution, etc.)?

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
If you want it off. Itl peel right off in direct warm sunlight. Colder it is it may stick a little.

barely no adhesion if it’s a good roll of vinyl. No damage, watch YouTube on tips on pulling PPF and vinyl.PPF is must tackier than vinyl.

vinyl is super easy. I’d say you are out of luck, they either redo it or you lose 280

imo. It looks dookie, I would rather have my paint than that. You aren’t happy as of now. I’d express concerns to them and see what they say

I have done a lot of vinyl.That’s bad work, and or bad install and material.

I’ve laid down PPF before that had natural defects in it, it happens.
But if your surface was clean, there would be no bubbles if the material and install was both equally in check

I’d love to lie and say Itl get better. But it most likely won’t, vinyl doesn’t work like that.what you seeis what you are getting.
A little air would work itself out in a day. But they saueegee it out during install, the flat roof is not a hard job. But do need 2 set of hand. Easier

GP2017GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
LT BLUE 2017 GT
What would you do in my situation? Try to get some money back and pull it off or ask them to have their lead installer try again? Does it literally just peel off or does it require anything special (heat, solution, etc.)?
Businesses should have no problem correcting a mistake, especially for someone that has previously had work done with them. If you are not satisfied with the job, either get a refund or have the work done again correctly. Shouldn't be a big deal honestly. Let us know what you decide.

Det_Riot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang GT
There's dust or dirt underneath the wrap that's causing those little pin point dots. the vinyl on the antenna has definitely been overstretch and that will pull back once it gets hot. Make them redo it. You paid for a service and that service was poorly performed. If they aren't doing it in an immaculate shop, a spot or two of dust is almost impossible to prevent but that's definitely dirt.

Give them a chance to fix their mistakes becaues shit happens but that antennta definitely screams inexperience to me.

Last edited:

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
If it was my car I'd probably have them take it off, ask for a refund, then go somewhere else
Sponsored