Gig's Performance Engineering 77mm Ported Throttle body

SBPGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6, 1993 Probe GT
I just measured the stock TB O.D. on the front intake port/tube, and it measured 78.5mm. So with a 77mm I.D. bore that would leave .75mm(.0295") wall thickness(aluminum soda can). Claims to also have venturi porting which would make it even thinner at the front where the intake tube/coupler is clamped.

I think they are misleading people into believing the butterfly valve bore is 77mm when actually the front of the TB opening is where they are getting the 77mm. If I were someone who bought one of these TB's I would be measuring them!
Sponsored

SBPGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Made some examples during break time at work... Not an exact model but the I.D. and O.D. is what I am trying to show. The ebay vendor advertises the TB as 77mm, but doesn't specify where the 77mm measurement is taken from.

Stock TB 78.5mm O.D. / 68mm I.D.
68mm TB.jpg

Modified stock TB 78.5mm O.D. / 77mm I.D.
77mm TB.jpg

My assumption. You can still see the thickness between the bottom lines.
GPE TBxx.jpg

Just trying to keep people from getting scammed... if I am right. I would assume that the TB does flow better than stock with the blending and half of the shaft removed.

metroplex

Mr. EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2009 Cobalt SS/TC, 2017 Fusion Sport, 2018 Explorer
Thanks for taking the time to do all of that!

I took measurements of my 2018 Explorer airbox and its 79mm ID at the smallest part and then goes to 89mm at the hose that attaches to the stock TB. So the TB itself is definitely a restriction at least on the Explorer. Our upper intake does not have fingers either from the factory and measures about 76mm ID at the TB opening.

I'm thinking about using the 80mm Coyote TB but there aren't any bolt-on solutions. I have the adapter made by someone with a 3D printer using polycarbonate (uses a Buna-N O-Ring for a gasket), and was thinking of drilling the holes closer to the center like the DIY guides on some of the Mustang forums. I don't mind paying for the BBK but the quality of the BBK motor seems sketchy based on the reviews I've seen.

SBPGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
From what I've read here and research elsewhere, it seems that the stock TB isn't much of a restriction. For N/A engines it flows more CFM than the engine can flow, if I remember right. It probably doesn't hurt on boosted engine either? Since the air is under pressure, 10psi is 10spi. Sure, changing diameters and bends, etc. can affect flow and pressure drop. I'm sure someone else has more knowledge or can explain it better than me.

Until someone does back to back dynos between all the TB's with same tune (Not stock vs alt. TB + tune), it's all speculation.

P.S. The Ginetta G50 with 3.7 makes more power than most(if not all) of the non-boosted V6's here and still uses the stock TB. (From what I can tell by inspecting a lot of their engine pics.)

metroplex

Mr. EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2009 Cobalt SS/TC, 2017 Fusion Sport, 2018 Explorer
The only dyno graphs I've seen show the BBK adds 10 to 20 ftlb at the low RPM range where the 3.3/3.5/3.7 would benefit due to the torque dip at 3000 to 3500 RPM. It would help with launches. At the high end the TB itself was worth 5 hp at most.

Cafasco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I had one of these on order, then I asked if it was still 68mm in the middle; if it is can I cancel? He never answered, but refunded my money.

Iā€™m sure this ported unit flows better, but I already had a ā€˜12 5.0L TB, and will have all of the parts by Tuesday to make the 80mm change happen. So weā€™ll see if it makes a difference.
Sponsored