Sponsored

GETTING WHIPPLE GEN 5 3.0 ON MY GT350R - ANY COLD ARE INTAKE SUGGESTIONS?

NHMustangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
stephen
Vehicle(s)
1965 GT350, 2017 GT350R, 2022 Toyota Sienna
Hey All,

I'm in the process of getting a whipple installed on my GT350R. I do NOT like the enclosed airbox and I have seen some with open air filters with some cool carbon fiber piping. Does anyone have any suggestions on something other than what comes with the whipple to go with?

Thanks,
Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Hey All,

I'm in the process of getting a whipple installed on my GT350R. I do NOT like the enclosed airbox and I have seen some with open air filters with some cool carbon fiber piping. Does anyone have any suggestions on something other than what comes with the whipple to go with?

Thanks,
I would be interested in knowing "IF" their is an open "higher" flowing CAI for the whipple. Only if it has been dyno tested with the hood closed showing the increase from the whipple closed CAI box.

OP
OP
NHMustangGuy

NHMustangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
stephen
Vehicle(s)
Me 2.... I can't find anything.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Me 2.... I can't find anything.
Yep. What I see is manufactures of CAI dyno their CAI with the hood open, not close which is real world, this I could see skewing the numbers quite a bit from reality of driving down the road with the hood closed.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
What do you not like about what Whipple supplies? I didn’t have any issue’s with that set up. Car made 750’s on pump and there tune.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NHMustangGuy

NHMustangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
stephen
Vehicle(s)
maybe it's petty, but I don't like the way it looks. That's it, strictly aesthetics......

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
maybe it's petty, but I don't like the way it looks. That's it, strictly aesthetics......
For me, I don't mind making things nicer looking BUT: I cannot do something which will cause a loss in performance. Someone has to have dyno results on a open CAI box and do the dyno with the hood closed. I would hope their is. Good Luck

rolfe.oliver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang GT350 Tribute, 1971 Mustang Mach 1
Don't. Whipple has one of the best calibrated intakes for the Gen 5. Do you want your car to drive worse? Because this is how you do that.

That_Orange_350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donny
Vehicle(s)
2009 GT500 2018 GT350 2020 PP1
I installed mine last Christmas. The rubber elbow from the airbox to the throttle body does turn colors compared to other rubber pieces. I have searched for a carbon fiber elbow or anything to dress it us as I do show my car a lot without any success.
whipple.jpeg

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
I installed mine last Christmas. The rubber elbow from the airbox to the throttle body does turn colors compared to other rubber pieces. I have searched for a carbon fiber elbow or anything to dress it us as I do show my car a lot without any success.
whipple.jpeg
Nice looking engine bay.

Sponsored
OP
OP
NHMustangGuy

NHMustangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
stephen
Vehicle(s)
whipple.jpeg
Great looking car, where did you have the work done and what kind of gas are you running?

Racinjason65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1M-82
Hey All,

Thanks,
I have the Whipple CJ CAI on my GT350. I also have a PNR ice tank on that car and while it looks better and adds power, my GT with the closed box Whipple intake has much lower IAT’s

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
It puzzles me why we still have these conversations. The entire point of a "cold air intake" (it's in the name) is to draw intake air from a fresh and cooler location. In the early days, this meant running a longer giant intake tube to a fender well area. Over the years, the partitioning got a lot better and we actually saw the development of the closed or "box" systems.

Open systems are great for cold, open hood dyno results. In the real world where variable timing and tune adjustments for intake air temperature are employed, any gains from slightly additional flow are wiped out by increased under hood temperatures.

The end of this analysis is this. If you have anything other than a dedicated drag car that sees a single pass with optimal/cold conditions or you're just interested in hero dyno numbers, then the closed system is superior. It keeps some of the heat out and allows you to make as close to optimal power as possible. This becomes even more crucial when considering street cars that spend time at stop lights or do back to back to back or heat soaked pulls.

In summary, anything that isn't partitioned isn't a "cold air" intake. It's a hot air intake and right back to where we started.

Wildwildwest

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
It puzzles me why we still have these conversations. The entire point of a "cold air intake" (it's in the name) is to draw intake air from a fresh and cooler location. In the early days, this meant running a longer giant intake tube to a fender well area. Over the years, the partitioning got a lot better and we actually saw the development of the closed or "box" systems.

Open systems are great for cold, open hood dyno results. In the real world where variable timing and tune adjustments for intake air temperature are employed, any gains from slightly additional flow are wiped out by increased under hood temperatures.

The end of this analysis is this. If you have anything other than a dedicated drag car that sees a single pass with optimal/cold conditions or you're just interested in hero dyno numbers, then the closed system is superior. It keeps some of the heat out and allows you to make as close to optimal power as possible. This becomes even more crucial when considering street cars that spend time at stop lights or do back to back to back or heat soaked pulls.

In summary, anything that isn't partitioned isn't a "cold air" intake. It's a hot air intake and right back to where we started.
Word
Sponsored