Get rid of rear end bounce with BMR minimum drop springs

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I trimmed the bump stops on the front and rear shocks. I was watching I believe a CJ Ponyparts installation video as I was doing the install. I used a measuring tape too.

The bounciness is not that bad and after spending some time in the car its not a major issue. However after I drive my 328i sport and getting back into the mustang I notice the bounce immediately. Its at the end of the shock movement. Its like the rear end sort of slowly "shakes" up and down after the initial compression and decompression. I used to race rc short course trucks and I understand the basics of adjusting a suspension. If I had this problem on my RC truck I would either use a lighter spring or switch to a slightly heavier oil.

So I see BmacIL you mentioned the Ford track shocks. I noticed conflicting information on whether or not these can be paired with my springs. Im ok with a slightly stiffer ride even though its not my goal but wont these have too much dampening? And what about the front? Will I have to switch out to the ford track shocks there as well if I do the back?
They are definitely not too much damping for your springs under the vast majority of conditions/inputs. It will certainly ride firmer but not in a bad way. More planted and poised. Everything will be simple up-down, no oscillation. It would be recommended to do the fronts as well, but the front is not nearly as sensitive from a ride perspective, for a couple reasons.

Even with my springs it's not harsh at all, and gets better with speed
Sponsored

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
I agree the PP shocks & struts are a good fit for the 763’s which is why I had confidence going into the swap however since I have no way of knowing when the rear shocks blew I can only contribute my concerns with the blown shocks, I’m guessing I never had the chance experience the ride quality with the PP’s.

So I basically went from 30K mile GT shocks & struts to FP Track shocks & struts (since the PP’s were blown) and there was a huge difference. @BmacIL wording is spot on, when you are cruising the suspension is firm but very comfortable and when you need it to step up for cornering you will be rewarded with confidence.
Thats odd, Ive seen the BMR763s recommended with PP shocks many times here. What exactly did you not like about this combination? What changed with the ford track shocks? Is it noticeably harsher for cruising?

Last edited:

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I would like to get rid of the bouncy ride I feel at the back of the car. Its a 2015 GT PP with BMR minimum drop springs all around(SP763), stock PP shocks, Steeda IRS alignment pins, stock size Firehawk tires on stock wheels with 25mm wheel spacers. Ford performance spec alignment. Everything else is stock.

From the research I did it seems like the PP shocks should pair well with these springs however it feels under damped in the back. The front feels good. I also found out in 2016 ford changed the shocks a bit on the pp cars and added more damping. My idea was to try out the rear pp shocks off a 16 or 17 car and then possibly add the steeda shock mounts if theyre still needed to smooth it out even more. Would this be a good idea or is there a better solution?

Also the part numbers are a bit confusing to me. Looking at the current part numbers for the rear pp shocks they go like this FR3Z-18125-W. The last letter can be a few different letters like FR3Z-18125-N. I would like to know what exact part number I would have to get if I go with these shocks. My 15 pp shocks have totally different part numbers but the left one is different than the right one. The dealer changed the left one out when it started clicking. The right one is FR3C-W002. Left one is FR3C-18080.

So basically I need help on the best way to get rid of the slight bounce in the back.
Steeda shock mounts and IRS braces had the most significant improvement in my ride’s refinement.

If you insist on swapping dampers (I won’t blame you as my PP shocks leaked at 8k miles), then consider Steeda ProActions. They are very, very smooth, and are on sale this weekend.

OP
OP
SergeyMelnik

SergeyMelnik

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sergey
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Just to confirm - did you trim your rear bumpstops down when installing the SP763 springs?
Hey Kelly I talked to you a couple weeks ago on the phone I ordered the upgraded diff bolts because your competitors diff bushings and their rear bolts broke and I didnt have my car for a week. You know the mustang suspension extremely well so please tell me, what do you recommend I do to get rid of this "springy" ride. I will be getting the CB005 for sure just not quite yet. Do you also recommend the ford track shocks like BmacIL or is there something else?

Steeda shock mounts and IRS braces had the most significant improvement in my ride’s refinement.

If you insist on swapping dampers (I won’t blame you as my PP shocks leaked at 8k miles), then consider Steeda ProActions. They are very, very smooth, and are on sale this weekend.
Yes I looked at those too. Do you think the steedas have more or less damping than the ford track shocks? And I see youre using the steed springs with the shocks, have you actually tried the steeda proactions with the bmr763s?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Kelly I talked to you a couple weeks ago on the phone I ordered the upgraded diff bolts because your competitors diff bushings and their rear bolts broke and I didnt have my car for a week. You know the mustang suspension extremely well so please tell me, what do you recommend I do to get rid of this "springy" ride. I will be getting the CB005 for sure just not quite yet. Do you also recommend the ford track shocks like BmacIL or is there something else?

Yes I looked at those too. Do you think the steedas have more or less damping than the ford track shocks? And I see youre using the steed springs with the shocks, have you actually tried the steeda proactions with the bmr763s?
The fixed Steeda shocks have less rebound control. The adjustables can have more. I've had both the fixed and the FP. For your springs either would be fine.

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Both Fixed & Adjustable are on sale during our Labor Day Sale - reflecting 20% off in savings.

Best Regards,

TJ

bay584

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
@BmacIL Noob question, what are the differences between the SP763 springs and SPH765 springs? I know the drops are different...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
@BmacIL Noob question, what are the differences between the SP763 springs and SPH765 springs? I know the drops are different...
SP763 are performance rate (street focused) for non-Magneride cars. SPH765 are handling rate springs for Magneride and GT350.

OP
OP
SergeyMelnik

SergeyMelnik

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sergey
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
The fixed Steeda shocks have less rebound control. The adjustables can have more. I've had both the fixed and the FP. For your springs either would be fine.
Wouldnt you say the main issue Im feeling is lack of rebound control? If you were to pick shocks for me right now for my springs, would you do the ford racing shocks or the steeda non adjustables?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Wouldnt you say the main issue Im feeling is lack of rebound control? If you were to pick shocks for me right now for my springs, would you do the ford racing shocks or the steeda non adjustables?
Yes, though it could be other things too. If I had to choose I'd go with the FP. I've seen enough happy pairings with them and the SP080 or SP763 to easily recommend them, plus my own experience. You'll find no shortage of my praise for the steeda shock mounts, but one thing I've found is that their improvements were not really noticeable on the FP shocks, but very noticeable with the fixed Pro Actions I had.

I've had Koni yellow rears too and while they handled amazing, and tbh better, they were a bit crashy in regular driving. That stemmed from a lack of compression relative to the rebound damping they were capable of. The FP are a perfect comprise for me, though could use a little more rebound for all out handling IMO.
Sponsored