genuine Ford windscreen install

billmueller

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT convertible
I was able to purchase the Ford Accessory windscreen from a German re-seller. During the install I discovered why it is not available in the US...there is an antenna (I'm assuming XM) that is mounted on the passenger side right under the trim where the hole must be drilled to accommodate the pin that gets inserted to mount the windscreen. other than having to cut out part of the antenna mounting bracket the install was straight forward. there is a good template to ensure you drill the hole in the side panels correctly. The unit is high quality materials and very sturdy. It fits nice between the contours of the rear seats. I was a little disappointed in the performance as I was expecting more reduction in wind noise and buffeting. It definitely helps but I was expecting more, however, I never had one before in any of my previous convertibles so didn't have anything to compare it to. I think the issue might be it seems short to me and it took some getting used to having the top of the frame directly in the middle of my view in the mirror. It is sturdy at least up to speeds of 90. It doesn't fold so storing in the trunk is difficult. I have the B+O stereo with the sub in the truck witch prevents the unit from laying flat on the floor. I'm pretty sure if you didn't have the sub it would lay flat. This is not an issue for me as I'll never have a rear passenger and will leave the unit installed all the time. It was more expensive than the LTD unit but I was sold on the install method and the better fitment. it was listed for $689 but it was discounted to I think $604 including shipping. If interested search eBay for part number 2063486

I've attached some pics. Please don't hesitate to contact me if anyone has any questions or needs help with their install.
windscreen 6.jpg
windscreen 7.jpg
windscreen.jpg
windscreen 5.jpg
windscreen2.jpg
windscreen 3.jpg
windscreen 4.jpg
Sponsored

Tseg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Thanks for the review. I was considering this as I was waiting about 45 days to get my convertible. Now that I have my new car I realize I primarily am doing backroad driving under 50 and the buffeting is not bad without extra components. Knowing about that bracket issue is also something to consider... you use a dremmel or just a drill to open it up?

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
This seems like a ridiculous reason to not be selling their own windscreen in what I am assuming to be their largest market. How hard would it been to have designed that bracket to accommodate that antenna, or whatever it is, and provide for the installation? I would think that if available, Ford would sell at least one in five at initial purchase and probably that many more after the fact. That seems to be a reasonable amount of money left on the table for something you’re already making for another market.

OP
OP

billmueller

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT convertible
I agree it is poor engineering and missed opportunity for Ford.

I used a multitool with metal blade but sure a Dremel would work as well.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I forgot to ask Bill, are there any straps holding that? It looks like there are stubs that are slipping in above the shoulder belts that keep it in place at the rear. I assume that the front mounts are a spring loaded pin.

Sponsored

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
In the trunk, there is a recess underneath the fuel fill tube that might allow you to store your screen on the truck floor.

I spent way to much time trying to fit the Lovethedrive screen in every which way possible and gave up. Then someone here pointed this out to me. I still cant believe I missed it.

OP
OP

billmueller

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT convertible
Johnnybee, yes there are stubs that are rubber coated that slip into the shoulder belt hole... it is nice setup andthe front pins are more locking in position vs. spring loaded and there is an length adjuster on each end to ensure a tight fit. There are no straps and that is what I liked about the Ford product.

Redcruzer, thanks for the tip about trunk storage.
Sponsored