Sponsored

General wisdom: How costly and doable is changing just the steering response or anything else independently? Likely new owner.

Noleftist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
Audi
Sorry if this is been covered elsewhere.
Long drive to see and buy, I am seriously thinking about buying a 2022 Mach 1 10 speed auto with seemingly all the handling and performance packages and all the other OEM choices. Aero, Recaro seats, adaptive suspension. Are the seats uncomfortable for a few hour drive? Should I have a 2nd seat for long drives?

Can a 6 ft 1inch guy where a helmet in the car? Or would my helmet smash against the roof?

Also is the only change between the 2021 and 2022 is that in the 2022 they added some kind of screen device in the plastic pipe leading from the air cleaner to the throttle body that you can easily remove and get back 10 hp and 10 torque? does it also affect the fuel economy in a positive manner removing this device?

Is the 10 speed great for track and daily driving, both performance and durability?

Anything else I should really know?
I would like to track it every once in a while and kind of use it as a semi daily driver.
Thank you.
Sponsored

RedTetsu13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT California Special
Not a mach1 owner but I have enough Knowledge Base to answer some of these.

Regarding steering response, very easy as its its own toggle switch, and it can be change independently of the drive mode. You do have to wait like a half second to let the prompt come up on screen and then another half second before you can begin changing it. Otherwise process is very straightforward.

As mach1 have mag ride equipped keep in mind that engine/throttle reponse is tied with your shock choice, everything else (exhaust, steering, and gauges can be changed independently).

Biggest complaints I've seen on the Recaros are losing the heated and cooling elements, and some times the side bolsters can get in the way of your arms when turning the wheel.

In terms of helemt clearance, I think you should be just barely okay depending on how you like your seating position and where your height is physically on your body (torso dominate vs leg dominant), for context my dad fits with decent amount of room in my car and he's 6'0" but he carries more of height in his legs vs torso.

As for the 10 speed, biggest issue's I've seen is keeping it cool, I think the mach1 has the extra trans cooling so that should help but I'll default to the other m1 owners on that.

All 22+ mustangs come with some form of a hydrocarbon filter in the intake. Yours will be that catch in the intake tube and yes it will free back that power, will you feel that though is a different story. Of course I'm still planning on doing mune and then adding a high performance dry air filter in mine so I'm one to talk 🤷‍♂️ fuel economy wise it won't (or at least it shouldn't affect you in any way) thats largely determined by how well discplined your right foot is and what type of commute you are doing.

Now inserting my unsolicited opinion, if you can find a manual and can physically drive one, I'd say that would be the better buy but I'm 100% biased on that front 😉

Tips regarding the auto, your best bet will be to let it shift on its own, although its a planetary style auto like the zf, the paddles are quite a bit slower to perform actions you request even post tune (speaking as a former eco 10 speed owner).

OP
OP

Noleftist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
Audi
Where are you in VA? You can ride along in my M1 if you don't know how to drive stick.
I greatly appreciate your offer.
I drove stick most of my life. Where I live in Fairfax the traffic is terrible. I feel an automatic is better for traffic. And I think in the long run, the cost of ownership is probably cheaper than replacing clutches.

OP
OP

Noleftist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
Audi
I just realized the model I was looking at doesn’t have any kind of cruise control. I was thinking I would enjoy having the adaptive cruise for its safety to keep me from hitting somebody. Does the adaptive cruise just back out of the accelerator when going downhill or does it put on the brakes when going downhill with the cruise control?
You guys really appreciate your cruise control? What features do you hate? Anything you think I should seriously think about changing or adding for my idea of what I wanna do with my M1? Thank you.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Noleftist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
Audi
Also is the stock stereo crap and just for rap? Can I do an after market head unit and or amp upgrade for more clear and true reproduction?
I test drove a stick Bullit and if I remember correctly it was junk for music.
Thank you.

RedTetsu13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
I just realized the model I was looking at doesn’t have any kind of cruise control. I was thinking I would enjoy having the adaptive cruise for its safety to keep me from hitting somebody. Does the adaptive cruise just back out of the accelerator when going downhill or does it put on the brakes when going downhill with the cruise control?
You guys really appreciate your cruise control? What features do you hate? Anything you think I should seriously think about changing or adding for my idea of what I wanna do with my M1? Thank you.
That doesn't seem right, its probably adaptive that it might not have if anything. All 18+ S550s come with cruise control (even the manuals).

As for adaptive you can get that on both manual and auto, all adaptive does is ensures what ever distance you set it to maintain to the traffic ahead it keeps you at that set distance or at what ever you set the cruising speed to (ie if you set to 75 and traffic slows down you will slow down to maintain set distance, if traffic speeds up it will speed up until it reaches your set speed).

Th auro will have the full automatic vraking while manuals get a partial system (shits annoying for my ass lol). As for the other cruise control questions, even on stick the car will maintain whatever speed you set it too whether you are going uphill or downhill.

Going back to auto vs manual, if you can test drive both I recommend you do it and or take shogun up on his offer. The mustang clutch is pretty light imo, throw is a bit long but I've not had any issues in heavy Chicago or Detroit traffic and to preface this, this mustang is also my first manual as well (basically learned on the car/got/getting good/gooder).

RedTetsu13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
Also is the stock stereo crap and just for rap? Can I do an after market head unit and or amp upgrade for more clear and true reproduction?
I test drove a stick Bullit and if I remember correctly it was junk for music.
Thank you.
If you are talking audiophile levels, then yeah they are shit on the base system, if you opt for the upgraded audio system with the sub not sure, (I haven't looked up any reviews on that).

I know quite a few folks on the forum have upgraded their systems, check the infotainment audio threads for more info on that.

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I have a Ecoboost premium so not the same but can speak on the adaptive cruise. It keeps you at the set speed which is nice when you come up on the guy in the left lane texting his friends and doing 55 in a 65.
Only thing I don't like is before you know it your doing 55 and the right lane is doing 75 so have to punch it to jump over but never a problem even with my little engine

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Mach 1 has cruise control, but it's not adaptive because the Mach 1 bumpers are too thick for the adaptive feature on the stock cruise control module. (They didn't do a special design just for the Mach 1.)

Sponsored

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
I believe the mach1 does not get adaptive cruise due to the physical shape of the front bumper. Normal cruise is still standard.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Where I live in Fairfax the traffic is terrible
True. Just commute outside the window. I'm only a few miles away 395 and edsal.

If you're free sometime this weekend I can show you a road or two.

I also have the b&o so you can sample that at the same time.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Noleftist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
Audi
What is the difference between active and adaptive suspension? Are they the exact same thing? Just two different names?
Also, looks like a picture of the one I am looking at the rear brake calipers are not red and they look possibly smaller, so does that mean there are two options of brakes and this has the smaller rotors and smaller calipers and fewer piston calipers, less brake power?
thank you.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
What is the difference between active and adaptive suspension?
At the risk of being "unfriendly" you need to spend some time reading the site and using the search feature. There is 8 years of knowledge here.

Whatever your questions it's probably been answered a few times over.

MrBD1348

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT MT-82
I greatly appreciate your offer.
I drove stick most of my life. Where I live in Fairfax the traffic is terrible. I feel an automatic is better for traffic. And I think in the long run, the cost of ownership is probably cheaper than replacing clutches.
that depends. If your 10R80 goes out without warranty then expect a pretty hefty repair bill. OE Converter alone is more expensive than an OE clutch. I’d trust the tremec over the 10r80 100% of the time
Sponsored