FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
FIAT 500, Micra, Sonic, Spark are all fun cars, seriously! Hardley use any fuel, feel fast while going slow. No joke.
we hate our 2015 Sonic. The thing has been nothing but annoying. Anything that leaks or can break has broke, we’ve replaced everything damn near. The 1.4 turbo ltz model

that said, I’ve replaced damn near anything ther could break because it did break abs seems to be fine now. 36-38mpg

our car just rolled to 72k
Sponsored

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
Eggs $11 for me yesterday for 36
I grabbed them, then put them back. Said ef that. Swear 3 months ago they was 3.50

80381481-164F-436D-8F19-B4B0AFAD72E1.jpeg
Why are eggs getting so high too? I don't buy a lot of them being single, maybe a dozen every couple weeks, but still.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
FIAT 500, Micra, Sonic, Spark are all fun cars, seriously! Hardley use any fuel, feel fast while going slow. No joke.
Hello; My 2001 Sentra with the 2.0 liter engine still gets around 35 MPG overall. Has 136 K miles so is not low mileage. Fun to drive as well. Around 145 HP.
May do better on the MPG as i recently replaced a rear caliper which had been tending to stick for some time. New tires. new exhaust. Recent struts all around.
The interesting thing is filling it up with a 12 or so gallon tank now costs near what filling up my pickup use to with a 36 gallon tank.
Thanks for the suggestions. With luck I can keep the Sentra going a few more years. I bought it new so know it has never been wrecked and is solid. In terms of basic transportation I am at a point where moving on to a hybrid or EV could make sense if they and the basic infrastructure was mature.
I am near 75 years old so do not need to make long term choices. The cost of any new vehicle currently is far from a bargain. If my current vehicles go bad I will have to look around.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
my 2013 Scion tC (2012) has 185k miles, chugging along perfectly fine. did need a new transmission though, damn input shaft bearing went bad and no one wanted to rebuild it, so I just bought a new trans (and it had the updated input shaft bearing) for 2500. meh whatever. tossed a clutch in while it was out. 4k OTD for new clutch + new trans installed. (there was only 6 new old stock trannies left too in nation) but people said even if they could rebuild they'd charge me 2k and can't even get parts.- new trans was no brainer

drives great again. I plan to go another 200k miles easy. I get 30-35mpg highway.

I did 10k oil intervals using Toyota oil then when my 100k extended warranty expired, went to 15k amsoil signature intervals. drives like a champ! tires every 80k (Pirelli p7 all season+) and I change pads at same time as the tires generally. New plugs and coolant every 100k miles.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
That Sentra is a great car with 145 HP and they go forever. Can easily get another 50-70 K miles with regular changes of all fluids:)

I almost bought a Sentra R but couldn't get past the looks.
Hello; I do fluids on a regular basis. Just flushed the brakes and hydraulic clutch fluid a few weeks ago. Did the trans oil change also. I do antifreeze every two years. Change oil at least once a year as i do not usually drive more than 3000 to 4000 miles a year. I also siphon out the power steering reservoir every time I do an oil change and replace with fresh PS fluid.
I try to drive at least once a week any vehicle I have. Works out well that my main shopping stores are around 7 1/2 miles away so i get the engine temps up.

I looked at the Newer Sentras over the years but fear Nissan lost it's way a while back. Not sure about the models made in conjunction with Renaut. Also not a fan of the CVT.
I plan to look at the new Z car if it ever shows up, but expect very high prices.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
my 2013 Scion tC (2012) has 185k miles, chugging along perfectly fine. did need a new transmission though, damn input shaft bearing went bad and no one wanted to rebuild it, so I just bought a new trans (and it had the updated input shaft bearing) for 2500. meh whatever. tossed a clutch in while it was out. 4k OTD for new clutch + new trans installed. (there was only 6 new old stock trannies left too in nation) but people said even if they could rebuild they'd charge me 2k and can't even get parts.- new trans was no brainer

drives great again. I plan to go another 200k miles easy. I get 30-35mpg highway.

I did 10k oil intervals using Toyota oil then when my 100k extended warranty expired, went to 15k amsoil signature intervals. drives like a champ! tires every 80k (Pirelli p7 all season+) and I change pads at same time as the tires generally. New plugs and coolant every 100k miles.
Hello; The Scion with a manual is on my list of good small cars to have. I drove Detroit iron as my first two cars then got an Opel Rallye Cadet in 1970. It was small and i was very well pleased with the fuel MPG's at the time at around 25 MPG.
However the Opel was not a great car. This was either before blue Loctite or before I learned about it. That Opel's four banger vibrated everything loose. I sold it to buy a used Porsche 914 with the 1.7 fuel injected engine.
The 914 was also a pain to keep serviced and needed a lot of attention to keep running. It was however the most fun car I have ever owned. Very light and noisy but handled nice. Also got over 40 MPG's on trips which was nice during the gas crisis of the mid 1970's. Kept it 12 years but it did not survive my second marriage.

Bought a 1991 Nissan Sentra SE-R and discovered a great car. Had the 2.0 engine that would rev to 7000. Had an IRS as well. Very quick and handled well. Also very reliable. I drove it ten years and got the 2001 Sentra SE. In 2001 they were not making the SE-R model as it was a transition year for them to make the 2002 SE-R with the 2.5 engine. My 2001 SE has the same 2.0 engine and running gear that had been in the previous SE-R's. That has been a great engine.

I want a sporty V8 before I go. Never had one when young. Had V8's in big cars, trucks and vans.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Your “prime example” is pure BS. It wasn’t a pipeline, it was just an extension of an already existing pipeline. And it wasn’t due to go online before 2024 so zero impact on the current situation.
The President of Canada said this week, the pipeline would have been finished by now and Canada would have been supplying the US with oil.

After the oil companies spent who knows how many millions, or billions, of dollars securing the rights and building the pipeline, then some politician kills it with the stroke of a pen, do you honestly think these companies will invest the money necessary for future endeavors?

Finally an honest report on the cost of EV's.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/much-does-cost-charge-electric-193400116.html

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
The President of Canada said this week, the pipeline would have been finished by now and Canada would have been supplying the US with oil.

After the oil companies spent who knows how many millions, or billions, of dollars securing the rights and building the pipeline, then some politician kills it with the stroke of a pen, do you honestly think these companies will invest the money necessary for future endeavors?

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/much-does-cost-charge-electric-193400116.html
Trudeau is an ass. Speaks out of both sides of his mouth at the same time. He talks the environment one minute and pipelines the next. Regardless even if the Keystone extension were going to be ready this year it wouldn’t change a thing. Supply is not what is causing the ridiculous pump prices so any additional production would be meaningless. Also this pipeline would be transporting dirty oil which does not get refined to gasoline. Even members of the last administration acknowledged this.

https://www.nrdc.org/stories/what-keystone-pipeline

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
The real irony is not having the pipeline creates more pollution.
There are millions of miles of pipeline throughout the US and Canada. None of them “create” pollution. Except when they break.

Edit: sorry I read this wrong. Agreed not having pipelines does create more pollution. Until they break. :giggle: :like:

Last edited:

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
There are millions of miles of pipeline throughout the US and Canada. None of them “create” pollution. Except when they break.

BlackandBlue said:
'The real irony is not having the pipeline creates more pollution"

Hello; I believe you missed the point entirely. My take is the oil is currently being transported by rail cars. At least such is what I read a while back. In addition to being very much less efficient way to transport liquids there is always the chance of a derailment and spill.
Just in case you miss why it is less efficient, the trains must burn fuel to move cargo. Trains are about as efficient a surface method to transport as is possible. I think barges do some better per ton of cargo and fuel used.
However, pipelines move oil and gas even better.

One irony of the "green" thinking behind the cancelation of the keystone will be that overall there very likely will be greater environmental impact because that pipeline does not exist in a completed form.
I have been an environmentalist since reading "silent spring" and later taking biology courses in college in the 1960's. My point being there are now and over time have been "feel good" movements which do little good, if any, overall for the environment. I am for things which work, not immature pipe dreams.

One example used as a point in my classroom ecology lessons decades ago was about deer hunting. I think it was in Ohio that deer hunting was banned in a county or few. I think it was a don't kill Bamby sort of feel good thing. It did not work out so well. In the same area the major predators of deer had long been eliminated. Without human hunting the deer overpopulated. A result was too little natural forage so the deer were coming into human areas eating up lawns and bushes. That was not enough and the deer wound up hungry/starving and diseased. Likely lots more collisions with cars.

Some years ago I needed crutches to get around after knee surgery. I did not get rid of my crutches until I healed enough. We will need the energy from oil, natural gas and even coal for some time. At least until the "green energy" is mature and has proven to be good enough.
I get why the keystone pipeline was cancelled. Those who wanted the gesture had grabbed power and made a big day one deal about it. That it was a bad idea is not changed by the "feel good" ideology.
It is one thing to switch over to a "green" energy plan when that green energy plan is mature and ready to take up the load. The pipeline was needed. We are suffering because of that decision along with some others made.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase

Hell no. I’d raise prices out of spite if I was them. It’s sad all the work they did to get shut down on spot

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Hell no. I’d raise prices out of spite if I was them. It’s sad all the work they did to get shut down on spot
Don’t feel too bad for them. They knew the consequences going in for the second time. Honestly I really do not know which side is right. They both make very compelling arguments. I know I wouldn’t want a massive pipeline anywheres near my home.
Sponsored