Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Toyota iq
Hi All .

Sorry if this has been asked before .
does anyone park there mustang in a garage with a width of 2.4m and still get out.
this is the only thing that is worrying me.

thanks mike.
Sponsored

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Hi.

Just popped out to my garage and measured across the floor at the entrance. Max width is 2.5m.
However, there are breeze block reinforcement columns, one on each side, about half way along the garage walls which reduce the width a little, but each column is only the length of a breeze block.

I do manage to park the Mustang in there, but it's a squeeze and so as to have enough space to open my door, I do have to park very close to the wall on the passenger side.
It's a tricky set-up, but practice has helped. I've also learnt visual markers to help me know where the car is when it's in the garage.
I heard of people using visual markers, hanging tennis balls from the ceiling, paint lines, etc. I also use a trolley jack as a "soft stop". Anything to help get the car into the garage without crunching it.

I don't think I could get the driver's door open sufficiently if my garage were 2.4m wide though.

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Hi All .

Sorry if this has been asked before .
does anyone park there mustang in a garage with a width of 2.4m and still get out.
this is the only thing that is worrying me.

thanks mike.
I would think it would be very very tight and probably not. I rented a garage for my M2 before i had my own and that was 2.4m wide and it was very tight, i had to make sure i reversed nearer to the passenger side wall at an angle, then to get out drop the windows and move the seat back, i had memory seats in the m2 so it was no bother. Dropping the window really gives you a fair bit more room to get out but if i was a big lad it would have been difficult or even impossible, i am 5'11 and 79 kilos so not particularly big by any means. Theer was i recall a small supporting wall where the door opened so if you havent one of those it may just slip in.

The M2 was narrower in the middle and the same width as a normal 2 series, looking quickly it could be 15cm difference to a mustang or so ,so although the M2 is nearly as wide as a Mustang at each end its considerable narrower where the doors are and thats what matters. My logic is the only way is to try it because in the mustangs case we are going to be taking cm's as to if it will or not. Contact a dealer and explain what you need to do

How long is the garage? My old 2.4m wide rented one wouldnt have got the mustang in length ways let alone width,

OP
OP

1969page

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Toyota iq
I would think it would be very very tight and probably not. I rented a garage for my M2 before i had my own and that was 2.4m wide and it was very tight, i had to make sure i reversed nearer to the passenger side wall at an angle, then to get out drop the windows and move the seat back, i had memory seats in the m2 so it was no bother. Dropping the window really gives you a fair bit more room to get out but if i was a big lad it would have been difficult or even impossible, i am 5'11 and 79 kilos so not particularly big by any means. Theer was i recall a small supporting wall where the door opened so if you havent one of those it may just slip in.

The M2 was narrower in the middle and the same width as a normal 2 series, looking quickly it could be 15cm difference to a mustang or so ,so although the M2 is nearly as wide as a Mustang at each end its considerable narrower where the doors are and thats what matters. My logic is the only way is to try it because in the mustangs case we are going to be taking cm's as to if it will or not. Contact a dealer and explain what you need to do

How long is the garage? My old 2.4m wide rented one wouldnt have got the mustang in length ways let alone width,
Hi .

I have just remssured and the width is 2.48M so i might just be ok .
regarding the length i have a long garage the length of the house ok there.
may have to get a test drive to the house and try it or get someone close to give it a go.

Mike.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
defo get someone to watch the back of the car as you reverse in. With practice if will come easier. I have cardboard on the walls of the garage where my door opens, gives the door a bit of protection if I swing it out too far. Also have some tiles and a couple of bricks at the back of the garage that 1 roll the car back to - once I nudge them the car is back far enough. Defo park it squint, you wont need much space on the passenger side though popping the bonnet is a pain. HOw i look on envious of our American owners and their fugging huge garages!

I must admit I find parking the Mustang a nightmare. Buying some blind spot mirrors to put on so i can see the rear wheels and lines of parking spaces and kerbs.

Sponsored

OP
OP

1969page

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Toyota iq
defo get someone to watch the back of the car as you reverse in. With practice if will come easier. I have cardboard on the walls of the garage where my door opens, gives the door a bit of protection if I swing it out too far. Also have some tiles and a couple of bricks at the back of the garage that 1 roll the car back to - once I nudge them the car is back far enough. Defo park it squint, you wont need much space on the passenger side though popping the bonnet is a pain. HOw i look on envious of our American owners and their fugging huge garages!

I must admit I find parking the Mustang a nightmare. Buying some blind spot mirrors to put on so i can see the rear wheels and lines of parking spaces and kerbs.
the way my garage is designed i can only drive in it seems to be made with a bigger space on the right to open the door.
ok with the length will have to take the gamble and hope it pays off LOL.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
thats actually the same as the one i have but i'd rather drive out into the street than reverse out so I park reverse in. Nothing to stop you reversing in at an angle and then straightening the car out so you have space on the drivers side. Totally depends on the walls / entrance space. Damn those British builders and their garage sizes from the 1910's!

I'll measure it tomorrow, if out of morbid curiosity than actual need haha.

OP
OP

1969page

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Toyota iq
thats actually the same as the one i have but i'd rather drive out into the street than reverse out so I park reverse in. Nothing to stop you reversing in at an angle and then straightening the car out so you have space on the drivers side. Totally depends on the walls / entrance space. Damn those British builders and their garage sizes from the 1910's!

Yes it would be good to know what size garage you have please let me know.

thanks mike.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
ok, door is 2.27m and the width where I park it car is nearly 3m. There is enough space to open the drivers door for me to get out easily enough but not with a bulky winter coat for example. The passenger side I can walk round but not enough space to open the door and reach in to pull the bonnet catch - i have to do that from drivers side.

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
20200523_034954.png

I reverse into the garage. Doing so allows me to guide the rear of the car through the garage door frame. Then I fold the mirrors to squeeze them through the door frame too, then open them again to keep an eye on the N/S rear quarter to wall. Then I straighten the car, leaving a couple of cm gap between the mirror casing & the wall.

Sponsored

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
thats neat! Today I managed to reverse into my garage at the wrong angle and somehow didn't scuff the mirrors. Instead of parking like / i did ¦ which is usually scrape time. Pah

Rover

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT , Porsche Boxster S, BMW X5d, FORD Transit Diesel, 2500 Ram Diesel, Mazda CX5
Vehicle Showcase
My single car garage for the Mustang is not quite as narrow (3m) but I still park off to one side. I can be sure I am close but not hitting the edge of the door opening with the help of a big convex mirror mounted on the back wall. Then I pull up to a floor bumper and tennis ball hanging from the ceiling. The door cannot open fully in this garage. Mustang door are huge! So I have mounted soft non-marring pad on the wall for the door to touch while I get in and out.

My other garage has a laser light to guide me once I'm in with the little roadster. The bright red light shows on the long hood as I roll in showing if I need to go left or right. I stop when the bean hits ( in this case) the windshield washer nozzle. It has a motion detector so it's off when not needed. Google amazon for this

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
it's less the interior width to deal with, and more the actual door opening size, needs to be over 2.1m or 2m with wing mirrors folded!

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
It might be an expensive fix, but a roller shutter gives you more opening width when compared to a traditional up and over style door :like:

WD :like:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
It might be an expensive fix, but a roller shutter gives you more opening width when compared to a traditional up and over style door :like:

WD :like:
Correct :D! Already looking at a roller for the new house to avoid the 5inches (2.5 each side) of framing for the door (Door is 2.27m wide, so adequate size, but would rather the extra 10cm!)
Sponsored