Sponsored

Gamma Seal Bucket Lids

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I resisted these for a long time, I just did not see a benefit to having an air tight lid on my wash buckets.

I have been using 15 litre / 4 gallon buckets for a while now, fitted with grit guards, bucket dollies and Detailing Outlaws 'Buckanizer's' for additional tool storage.

aqw2.jpg

IMG_5923.jpg

IMG_5927.jpg

Having everything at your finger tips and arms reach is so much more efficient, especially when doing wheels. The dollies are a must have in my opinion as, again, they improve efficiency and allow you to move the bucket smoothly around the car as you clean.

dec313.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

In a technical sense, Gamma Seal bucket lids provide an air tight seal on your buckets, keeping dust out of them and allowing you to transport them if required (to show & shine for example.). In reality, for me a least, I just like the way they look! :giggle:

These lids come in a variety of colors although the detailing world seems to have settled on red (wash), blue (rinse) and black (wheels) for some reason. For me, I have blue for rinsing and red for wheels. The lids are two piece, an outer ring snaps down on the bucket rim and the lid with a rubber seal then screws in.

IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_1098.jpg

IMG_1097.jpg

Handily, they still allow for the fitment of the Buckanizer are able to stacked.

IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1102.jpg

Do these lids make washing a car easier or better? Not really. But detailing is all about the "details", having a setup like this just makes me happy! 😁

IMG_1112.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg
Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
D: You hit the nail on the head, it's all about "being happy." Well done as always but, I just rinse the dry buckets out before wash so lids would just be an extra step that I don't need. Besides with a Beverly Hillbillies CEEment pond in the back yard, I have access to dozens of lids for chlorine tablets and I still throw 'em away and keep the original buckets. <smile>

Keep up the good work, dude!

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10
Now that is just fancy! Would ya look at that!

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

OGsmakDadE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber blue GT, 1999 Honda Prelude
I’ve been using these lids for a long time, although not for this purpose. They are fantastic. I still envy your setup. Eventually I hope to become as organized.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Now you need this...
FWIW, I DO use the diamond plate "bridge" but in my experience, it can be as much trouble as it can be useful. BUT, this only really applies if you want to roll to and from the garage/shop AND over the rain lip in the concrete.

That little bugger is the bane of the bridge and those who have been there, know what I'm talking about. The cheap casters that come on the bucket dollies start falling out over time, or at least they did in this tropical environment. So, you lift up the middle of the dolly to clear the lip and bingo, a caster falls out. Eventually, the whole thing comes apart and with no weight in the now empty buckets, you're on your behind putting the darn thing back together.

I did solve the falling caster issue by wrapping the push in studs with good tape to increase the diameter, (I didn't want to take the time to fool with the locking clips.) But, I still have to lift the darn thing going in and out but at least the casters stay on. The alternative is to carry four gallons of water two or three times from the garage sink to the wash area outside. That gets old. :cool:

My other beef with the bridge is when I have water and detergent half full in one and the other bucket full of wheel cleaning tools, (nope don't have one of those strong side holsters for tools, <smiling> But I MAY. <REALLY laughing now>

The thing is, when one bucket is heavy and one not and you try to "drive" the combo around the vehicle, it becomes an exercise in futility with the difference in weights.

I won't be going back to "bridgeless" but it isn't the panacea it's made out to be.

BTW, speaking of OG...

The three bucket set I got from them were SO thin that the vinyl centering "bolts" on the sides of the bucket dollies wore a hole within three months. Total waste of money. Threw two away and kept one for tools only. Homeless Depot buckets are far thicker and last until the sun wears out the vinyl. FYI...

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
That little bugger is the bane of the bridge and those who have been there, know what I'm talking about. The cheap casters that come on the bucket dollies start falling out over time, or at least they did in this tropical environment. So, you lift up the middle of the dolly to clear the lip and bingo, a caster falls out. Eventually, the whole thing comes apart and with no weight in the now empty buckets, you're on your behind putting the darn thing back together.

BTW, speaking of OG...

The three bucket set I got from them were SO thin that the vinyl centering "bolts" on the sides of the bucket dollies wore a hole within three months. Total waste of money. Threw two away and kept one for tools only. Homeless Depot buckets are far thicker and last until the sun wears out the vinyl. FYI...
OG offer upgraded caster or are those the ones that failed?
https://www.obsessedgarage.com/collections/buckets-accessories/products/dolly-casters

Regarding the thinness of the buckets, that is a rare oversight by them. Although he has mentioned in a few videos not to apply too much torque to those bolts so as not to cause damage to the buckets. For me, I don't actually use those bolts/screws in the bucket dollies as I just let them sit freely.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I have thought about adding one of those but my washing method, at least on my very well maintained cars, is a bit different to the norm.

Using the traditional "Two Bucket" wash method, having the buckets tied together would be of benefit. In most cases this is the safest way to wash a car without inflicting damage to the paint.

For me, on the Mustang for example, I'm generally only washing off the dust and a few bugs. No road grime, tar, heavy bug splatter or mud. In this case, I don't use a "wash" and "rinse" two bucket wash. I use the red bucket for wheel cleaning and the blue bucket for bodywork. Let me explain.......

After I have finished cleaning the wheels, using the red bucket filled with water and car shampoo, I then proceed to rinse the vehicle top to bottom. From here, I foam the car down with soap. The blue bucket is filled with water only and serves to rinse the wash pad/mitt between panels. The car is then rinsed again and dried with a drying aid.

Now, this method won't suit every situation. If I have an excessively dirty car, my all-weather Ranger or a customer car for example, then a two bucket wash makes sense. With 6 cars between us all here, I have streamlined my process to improve efficiency and suit the needs of each car.

Also, you may be asking why do I have four buckets then? One set is for my own cars, one set for the dirtier cars I tend to. Excessive I know, but that is how I roll! :like:

So, all of that to explain why I don't have a bucket dolly joiner. :facepalm: :giggle:

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
OG offer upgraded caster or are those the ones that failed?
No D, they weren't the original casters. I've had the bucket dollies long before OG was a thing. The red outer shell on the casters began to break off, (I have a concrete driveway with gravel in it so it's rough,) and I replaced them with much a much better version.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
5 gallon empty bakery frosting bucket, cleaned out, yard sale round steaming pan upside down in bucket bottom, the bucket has a handle. no need for wheels , if I need wheels, one of the wife's planter rolling dollies , also can be found at yard sales cheap or off season at your nursery or box hardware home improv store. oh, and the buckets come with lids.
Your local supermarket with a bakery will have them and if you ask will give you the buckets and lids.
If I have 5 bucks in my set up , tool storage,holder off bucket, an old oval juice pitcher dollar store a buck or 2, hook of a coat hanger will clip it to bucket.
It might not be fancy, smantcy but oh, well.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
5 gallon empty bakery frosting bucket, cleaned out, yard sale round steaming pan upside down in bucket bottom, the bucket has a handle. no need for wheels , if I need wheels, one of the wife's planter rolling dollies , also can be found at yard sales cheap or off season at your nursery or box hardware home improv store. oh, and the buckets come with lids.
Your local supermarket with a bakery will have them and if you ask will give you the buckets and lids.
If I have 5 bucks in my set up , tool storage,holder off bucket, an old oval juice pitcher dollar store a buck or 2, hook of a coat hanger will clip it to bucket.
It might not be fancy, smantcy but oh, well.
That's all good, as long as you are happy and get the results you are after.

Detailing is my insane passion so I have no issue pouring money into stuff that makes it more enjoyable or easier. I don't drink, smoke, take expensive holidays, eat out or have kids. We all have that "thing" we direct money or effort towards.

I also do detailing as a side gig, so at least some of it is a "business" expense. (In reality, the paid detailing gigs fund the extravagance. :giggle: )

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
And to dig my hole even further, I have just ordered some red and blue bucket dollies with the upgrade castors. 🤪

rbd100.jpg

bbd100.jpg

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
That's all good, as long as you are happy and get the results you are after.

Detailing is my insane passion so I have no issue pouring money into stuff that makes it more enjoyable or easier. I don't drink, smoke, take expensive holidays, eat out or have kids. We all have that "thing" we direct money or effort towards.

I also do detailing as a side gig, so at least some of it is a "business" expense. (In reality, the paid detailing gigs fund the extravagance. :giggle: )
That's great. Whatever works for you, I was just putting the low budget option out there.
I never smoked, and rarely drink twice a year if that.
Even though I am doing great for myself And family now, I remember the very thin decade plus I went through. I stuff every extra dollar into paying off the house.
Sponsored