bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Before misinformation is spread like wildfire - it’s NOT for the S550 Mustang - it’s labeled and for the 2018 F150!

See attached.... it’s NOT specifically labeled for the S550 Mustang Coyote 5.0, therefore I do not think it would apply at all for any warranty work... yes the Coyote may be similar between the 2 models, but I don’t think Ford will do warranty work on a S550 using a doc for an F150.
Sounds like that is only for automatics.

NOTE: ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.
Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Sounds like that is only for automatics.

NOTE: ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.
All F150s are automatics. Reflashing the PCM will eliminate previous transmission learning so this could just be a heads up to reduce customer complaints about shift quality.

Last edited:

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have had my control unit for the A10 updated but what does that help when you can shift yourself :D, it sounds like this in the cabin

Hope you can hear it , it's as worst around 2k rpm. Its a bit embarrassing driving past people :S

Sorry for spamming, will be the last vid from this motor :)

Last edited:

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Mazman, what is your dealer saying about your new engine?

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
They had the car over the day on Monday, as a result of listening with stethoscope they did conclude to order new injectors.

But I told them that I don't believe that it would get solved with that, the manager I spoke to didn't believe the issue would be sorted with the change of injectors either....

So next step is for them to swap the injectors (replacing the ones from the old car)

Next step after that would be for them to get in contact with Fords tech center again on how to proceed.

Mazman, what is your dealer saying about your new engine?

Sponsored

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Mazman, how many miles on that engine?
The new one or the old one?
The recent videos are from the new motor.
Now it has around 300-400km (190-250 miles)

Old one was swapped at almost 6k miles

But both motors have sounded bad from day 1 more or less

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I have had my control unit for the A10 updated but what does that help when you can shift yourself :D, it sounds like this in the cabin

Hope you can hear it at around, as worst around 2k rpm. Its a bit embarrassing driving past people...

...Sorry for spamming, will be the last vid from this motor :)
From only the sound in the video, my GUESS is that it is piston-slap, or way too much con-rod bearing clearance at the crankshaft and/or the wrist pin??

Again, just a guess based on the horrible sound.

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
Your engine recording sounds like my engine. The rpm range when the noise is heard was the same as mine also. I'm around 1,800 miles and the noise is heard at most any rpm now. I don't go near redline though. I cut the oil filter. Copper is present. My bearings are shot. And Ford wants to change my clutch assembly thinking the noise is in that.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
The new one or the old one?
The recent videos are from the new motor.
Now it has around 300-400km (190-250 miles)

Old one was swapped at almost 6k miles

But both motors have sounded bad from day 1 more or less
OK, obvious question (maybe) but what was re-used from engine 1 to engine 2? It just seems weird that a new engine would have the same or very similar indications.

I've got an airplane story. We had a jet that had an engine that kept reverting to SEC mode (backup engine control). This happens when the engine decides the primary (digital) engine control isn't working right or some parameter is not following commands from the digital control, in this case nozzle position. After extensive troubleshooting and changing out the logical parts an engine swap was determined to be required. Very strangely the new engine exhibited the exact same behavior. This blew everyone's mind as there should be no concievable way the problem could exist with a new engine. Well, it turns out that when you get a "new" engine from the jet shop they come in two parts, the core (front) and the back (AB section) that are assembled. The "new" engine we got back was a new front but the same back half. It turned out that there was a pinched wire on the back half of the engine causing the problem.

Sponsored

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
From only the sound in the video, my GUESS is that it is piston-slap, or way too much con-rod bearing clearance at the crankshaft and/or the wrist pin??

Again, just a guess based on the horrible sound.
I don't think I will get to know the reason behind. Last time the swapped the whole thing and send off to Ford.

Your engine recording sounds like my engine. The rpm range when the noise is heard was the same as mine also. I'm around 1,800 miles and the noise is heard at most any rpm now. I don't go near redline though. I cut the oil filter. Copper is present. My bearings are shot. And Ford wants to change my clutch assembly thinking the noise is in that.
Sorry to hear buddy! Maybe you should show them some videos e.g. from mine as I don't have a manual.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
It was a "full" engine, manifold/TB was moved over from the old motor

Old motor
20181121_120413-1612x1209.jpg

I hope I don't have a pinched wire :D. That sounds like an expensive ordeal...

OK, obvious question (maybe) but what was re-used from engine 1 to engine 2? It just seems weird that a new engine would have the same or very similar indications.

I've got an airplane story. We had a jet that had an engine that kept reverting to SEC mode (backup engine control). This happens when the engine decides the primary (digital) engine control isn't working right or some parameter is not following commands from the digital control, in this case nozzle position. After extensive troubleshooting and changing out the logical parts an engine swap was determined to be required. Very strangely the new engine exhibited the exact same behavior. This blew everyone's mind as there should be no concievable way the problem could exist with a new engine. Well, it turns out that when you get a "new" engine from the jet shop they come in two parts, the core (front) and the back (AB section) that are assembled. The "new" engine we got back was a new front but the same back half. It turned out that there was a pinched wire on the back half of the engine causing the problem.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I don't have the tick, but I do have the 2200 to 2800 rpm rattle (had it since about 250 miles). Here is a cold start idle and warm idle. To me, this is just normal injector noise. Nothing like what you hear on Mazman's videos. I'm still leaning towards the 2200 to 2800 rattle also being nothing more than injector noise since it's only under very light throttle and immediately goes away if you let off or give it more throttle. I'm at 4,400 miles. First OC was at 2K with the blend. My car does seem to use about 1/2 qt every 1K. Only mod is a JLT catch can.

Cold start idle:

Warm idle:

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
I just don't get it why a Ford mechanic would not check something as cheap and easy as an oil filter. And my complaint was never about a tick. I told them it was an engine rap, that there is something wrong in the rotating assembly. They can change the clutch, I don't give a damn. Hell's fire they can change the headliner if they want. All I'm doing is counting the days.

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
Silver Bullitt. Your second video. I can hear the clacking of an injector type of sound. But with that is a rap that is not at the same amount of times as the injector type noise.
Sponsored