FYI: Coyote 5.0 Plasma Transfer Wire Arc cylinder liners

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
I just don't get it why a Ford mechanic would not check something as cheap and easy as an oil filter. And my complaint was never about a tick. I told them it was an engine rap, that there is something wrong in the rotating assembly. They can change the clutch, I don't give a damn. Hell's fire they can change the headliner if they want. All I'm doing is counting the days.

Hes paid a flat rate by job. If the oil filter wasnt authorized, why would he?
Sponsored

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
I should have mentioned that they are trying to diagnose a problem. They are not on the clock to repair a problem,yet.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'm pretty sure that you should not be finding ANY flakes of metal in your oil. Anything larger than 1mm would have me freaking out. after the first oil change. Is this your first change? What color were the metal flakes?
Extremely tiny, like flea sized. So small I almost couldn't see them. You know when guys have been finding lots of tiny glitter in their catch cans? About that size. I found a couple on the T- shirt, and only maybe 3-4 in the filter, at the most.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Extremely tiny, like flea sized. So small I almost couldn't see them. You know when guys have been finding lots of tiny glitter in their catch cans? About that size. I found a couple on the T- shirt, and only maybe 3-4 in the filter, at the most.
Send it to Blackstone for testing.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Send it to Blackstone for testing.
Well, it's already been recycled. I did give the filter and strainer to the mechanic, an he said it looks really good, and a couple tiny flakes is normal for a new engine with only 3,000 miles at the time. It's when you see a lot starting to fill up the filter, is when you really know something is wrong.

I will definitely be checking my filters much more closely from here on out.

Sponsored

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
My engine is warrantied out to 200,000 miles. From what I've read, there was a bad bunch of engines due to production errors. Guess what Ive seen major issues with every brand over the years. Anyway, if my engine falls in the <5% that have issues then Ford will fix it.

The alternative is Camaro (no thanks, issues of their own) or M4 for $25-$30k more.

For those who want to eat into the engineering safety margin with power adders, that's on you. Pay to play.
Mines at 3236 miles with 800hp Whippled. So far so good.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
For the N54 guys, One of you had the 2011 N54, the one that was already running the new HPFP's as the N54 was at that time limited to the "is" models, it wasn't covered in the recall.

Source: https://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/12/class-action-suit-alleges-bmw-n54-turbo-engine-unsafe-causes-un/

My 2010 135i was. Yours might also have had the wastegate rattle problem resolved. I'll be honest, I never heard the wastegate rattle on mine, I didn't keep it very long. I was cobb tuned, which pushed those tiny turbos pretty hard though :)

Here is an e92 with a nasty sounding injector
Here is another one with a bad injector

But I'm not trying to getting into a debate about BMW's on a Mustang board. As far as DI, I can hear it in just about any engine that is DI. Whether it's from the fuel pump or the injectors, it has a distinct sound and if you know what to listen for, you can hear it. Some are worse than others, in particular Lexus/Toyota are pretty loud, but I don't know if they put in as much sound isolation foam as other vehicles.

Honda
Audi
Toyota (This one is cool to hear the high pitch DI turn on and off)
Either Hyundai or Kia (I believe they both call it "GDI")
Mercedes
Porsche
Subaru (You have to wait until the guy moves the camera above the engine ~ 00:00:17)
I'll admit, I can't find a Dodge, but I am not aware of them using DI on anything
Mazda (A little harder to hear over the groan from the cold start enrichment garbage almost everybody does now)
GM

Here is a decent primer on DI, and the HPFP noise is specifically discussed around 00:05:48

I'm not saying all of these coyote engines only have this sound, but a sensitive owner might hear it and wonder if it is piston slap or lifter ticks. From what I've read on here, people notice sounds at certain defined engine speed. I have no idea what ECU load cells they happened to be in, but it would be interesting for someone that has the problem to slowly rev the engine in park/neutral and see if the same noise is heard. I have a feeling it will still be there. Engine speed causes a different frequencies to happen, and depending on that frequency, you can have other things resonate (Or harmonics of the base frequency [Guitarists will know this as we exploit this for "squealy's"]). Some of the more recent posts have mentioned fixes or improvement by playing around with the belts. This itself (in my mind) agrees with my resonance theory since the pulley is right off the crank, and belts themselves are basically strings on a guitar/violin and vibrate differently based on the length (torque on the belt...Like the A/C cycling off) which slightly stretches the belt (= lower resonance frequency) and the timing tensioner which changes the frequency based on if it stretches or allows the belt to compress.

Now people that have superchargers are substantially changing the tension on the belt (And throwing in extra harmonics from the blower vibrations). I have to wonder if they still hear some of the noises y'all have.

Still, others seem to have other noises that are clearly different. Obviously, some have genuine problems because Ford isn't going to replace an engine for the heck of it. Whether it is related to a certain sound is unknown at this point.

Sponsored

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
If you read through that thread, one of the forum members said the fix was temporary and the rattle returned. Oh well.
Been down this road on forums so many times before. Someone will get the future TSB flash and dyno the engine and it makes 10 less HP. Doesnt matter it was a different dyno, day, conditions, etc... All people read about is FUD around slower cars.

Then there will be an anti-fix movement. "I'm not losing HP so no way will I let them flash my car". More complaints all based on erroneous assumptions and evidence. Threads full of anti-fixers versus happy owners.

Mark these words.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
Been down this road on forums so many times before. Someone will get the future TSB flash and dyno the engine and it makes 10 less HP. Doesnt matter it was a different dyno, day, conditions, etc... All people read about is FUD around slower cars.

Then there will be an anti-fix movement. "I'm not losing HP so no way will I let them flash my car". More complaints all based on erroneous assumptions and evidence. Threads full of anti-fixers versus happy owners.

Mark these words.
IDK about horsepower from the reflash. He just said the noise came back.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
If the TSB is as they say it is, then there will be no power/torque lost or gained. It's nothing more than tweaking the throttle mapping. On decel, it's possible that the throttle body closed too fast, and the engine changed speed too quickly through the rev range (Same with acceleration). Alternatively, it's possible that there is a rattle induced by resonance through that RPM window, and thus the program simply gets the engine out of that range quicker.

It's a lousy fix if that really is the problem (resonance), but that's usually how TSBs are..."fix" the problem as cheaply as possible.

sdiver68, I agree about the "fixers" vs "non-fixers". BMW did that for the wastegate rattle, and there were lots of threads about it. The root problem was mechanical, but yanking (via the ECU) on the wastegate not as much seemed to quiet it down enough to get most people out of warranty. I seem to remember some saying it lowered initial torque because the wastegates were open more at lower RPMs.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
If the TSB is as they say it is, then there will be no power/torque lost or gained. It's nothing more than tweaking the throttle mapping.
Reread my post, that's exactly what I'm saying! Facts wont stop the inevitable.

BTW, I also had a BMW N54. Never had any issues, that 335i still remains 1 of my favorite cars I've owned. Lightly prepped it was an M3 killer.
Sponsored