OP

lkeltner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
Doing some more research tonight. Looks like AWE, even the touring edition, is quite a bit louder than stock.

FRPP by Borla axleback seems to be a good option.

Varex really has my interest, as I'd love an active exhaust. Close the valve at start and on the highway. Woot.

One question I have on all of these, when they say "no drone", do they mean with the stock airbox and sound resonators in place? All that is gone on my car with it being supercharged. I want to make sure I'm not wasting money on systems that expect certain other parts to still be there.
Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Doing some more research tonight. Looks like AWE, even the touring edition, is quite a bit louder than stock.

FRPP by Borla axleback seems to be a good option.

Varex really has my interest, as I'd love an active exhaust. Close the valve at start and on the highway. Woot.

One question I have on all of these, when they say "no drone", do they mean with the stock airbox and sound resonators in place? All that is gone on my car with it being supercharged. I want to make sure I'm not wasting money on systems that expect certain other parts to still be there.
Drone is caused or prevented by muffler solution. If you already have drone then changing those other pieces could amplify but not create it. So adding a non drone solution like AWE Touring or Corsa Sport would address it, although also would increase volume.

OP
OP

lkeltner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
Does anyone have comparisons or experience with the xforce varex catback vs the axleback? I reached out to xforce almost a week ago with no response. Will call them Monday but wanted to check here. Searching didn't turn up much....

OP
OP

lkeltner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
AWE TOURING CATBACK
I definitely like the sound here, but I'm a bit concerned about how loud it will be when firing up.

Sponsored

SilverNv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Myles
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
You will want to take a look at the magnaflow resonator replacement that cj pony parts sells. The magnaflow does the trick when used with a stock exhaust at being quiet.

Last edited:
OP
OP

lkeltner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
You will want to take a look at the magnaflow resonator replacement that cj pony parts sells. The magnaflow does the trick when used with a stock exhaust at being quiet.
Did the trick as in eliminated drone from 1900-2200 rpm?

SilverNv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Myles
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
The car is now quieter than with the stock resonator. I am not supercharged so I can’t say what exactly what will fix your situation. But the magnaflow resonators can be found affordably in the classifieds here from time to time.
I had a mbrp street exhaust on my car that was a bit too loud for me. I later added a set of 15” resonators after the h pipe and it was still a bit annoying to me. I found the stock exhaust with this resonator works for me. I’m in the other end of the sound spectrum from most people on this forum. Those who are recommending a full exhaust are not really clued in to what you’re asking for.

The other option would be adding a set of helmholtz resonators to your exhaust to tune the frequency to get rid of the drone. There space by the rear mufflers to fit them and a search on here will provide you some pictures of other forum members cars.

OP
OP

lkeltner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
The other option would be adding a set of helmholtz resonators to your exhaust to tune the frequency to get rid of the drone. There space by the rear mufflers to fit them and a search on here will provide you some pictures of other forum members cars.
Doing some jpipes on stock exhaust has also crossed my mind.

Last edited:
OP
OP

lkeltner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
Xforce (Varex) just got back to me and said their system (catback or axle back) would not make the drone better if it was there on stock exhaust. They recommended jpipes. (I'm reaching out a local shop tomorrow about this)

I really appreciate their honest answer and not just trying to sell me a system. That was nice.

I think my move right now is to figure jpipes on stock exhaust and run that for while. If I decide I need more volume I'll probably go back to xforce varex to get that system and put jpipes on it somehow.

Sponsored
OP
OP

lkeltner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
The magnaflow tru x did it for me. I have catless longtubes and stock axleback with a whipple. Sounds perfect for me now. Still crazy loud when ya get on it.

OP
OP

lkeltner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
This is now 100% solved. Had the j-pipes welded in and drone is GONE. Love it!

Screenshot_20230116_095009_Sound Analyzer App.jpg
Sponsored