Fuel

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
I use non ethanol 91 when in storage or sitting long term with stabil. Otherwise top tier 87. All burns the same.
Sponsored

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
If the car can add timing due to higher octane, then I wouldnt call it a waste. Some people will gladly pay more for fuel if it means a few degrees more of timing.
wel there are plenty of websites and forums explaining what you are talkign about and they all say the same thing. using fuel lower than that what is required will cause knock and cause the system to over compensate. but the one fact EVERYONE elects to ignore is the owner's manual with a big old stamp says design for 87. These same sites will also tell you that using octane ratings over the required...NOT recommended but required is a WASTE of money. I find it interesting the power of popular perceptions. There is literally thousands of websites telling you gas is all the same for everywhere from every manufacturer in fact most gas is held in comunal tanks before delivery to separate vendors. yet peopel will swear there are differences in gas by maker. Only differences are additives the gas itself is all exactly the same quality. There is also an equal amount of studies, website, forums all saying engines made to run 87 get zero benefit form running higher octane fuels yet people swear that is also not true. The whole top tier fuel and recommended fuels thing is all marketing backed by gas companies and auto makers in bed together. If you look at a list of top tier fuel sellers it's basically them all. believe what ya want I'm not really arguing with you. I am just passionate about people not wasting money as these companies already get enough of our hard earned money. Matter of fact it only takes a quick google search of is premium any better and you would be hard pressed to find a website that says yes... so not sure why people still hang on to this idea. The info is out there and not exactly hard to find. Now info supporting its better is actually hard to find. 91/93 is for cars that require it like high compression force induction cars. But big v8 NA cars don't need or benefit form it in stock form. But again not here arguing and I swear :) I just like to see people keep their money on things that simply aren't worth it or do nothing.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019

Sponsored

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Ever drink a Starbucks coffee?
Nope im a all water kind of guy tap not bottled :) yeah I have seen the hp gain statement on some ads and looked it up. CNN business did a story on AAA who tested the differences. One of their test cars was a Mustang GT (did nto say what year car though). The date on the story was in 2017 so may not have been the Coyote engine. they got a 3.2 percent gain with their test using premium over regular. The 2017 Mustang GT had 435 HP which would have been a 13.92Hp gain. For the Extra fuel cost of around 600 or more plus a year you would be better off with a cold air intake instead would add the same and cost less. I'll keep digging to see if I can find a difference on a coyote engine but my guess is you don't see numbers cause the gain is next to nothing. At least not compared to the fuel cost and the high rpm you need to be at to use those extra HP . Daily driving would really be unnoticable.

https://money.cnn.com/2017/12/12/autos/aaa-premium-gas-study/index.html
and here is the actual report
https://newsroom.aaa.com/wp-content...ium-Fuel-Phase-II-Research-Report-FINAL-2.pdf

Small gains but nothing to warrant the extra fuel cost over the life of the car. better off saving your thousands in premium fuel. And you have to remember they used specialized equipment to notice even these small gains... not their butts :)

The fuel economy boost is 2.3% which of the epa 19 mpg in a mustang gt is .437 miles per gallon or roughly 8 miles per tank. so you are paying 5 to 16 dollar more per tank(depending on where you live for 8 miles of range). when 1 gallon of 3 dollar regular gas will get you 19. Again premium not worth the small percentage it gains.

Last edited:

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
Here we go again. RTFM! It DOES NOT say 87 is always ok. It says you should use 91 or higher in high temperatures. So here in Las Vegas 87/89 is ok in the winter, but you need to use 91 at all other times.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Here we go again. RTFM! It DOES NOT say 87 is always ok. It says you should use 91 or higher in high temperatures. So here in Las Vegas 87/89 is ok in the winter, but you need to use 91 at all other times.
Well that is not what it says but ok. under the recommendation of higher octane is typical Ford vernacular of the use of higher octane fuel COULD improve performance and be noticed under hot conditions and towing. It absolutely does not say you must use premium or that any adverse effects will result from using 87.

OP
OP
Rapid Red

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Since it is an American car use American fuel. eg: Jack Daniels
LOL I like that thinking, otherwise thread is going pretty much as I expected ....

This one always makes me LMAO > V

"87 octane cars that recommend premium is a waste, it makes no difference other than to your wallet"

Same goes for the cell phone, 100 $$ cell phone can do all the same stuff as the 800 - 1000 $$ cell phone. "makes no difference other than to your wallet"

Even it it these two statements were even remotely true. I get much more enjoyment WASTING $$$ for fuel, then doing the same for some annoying little cell phone.

pep

jpboats

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
So I hauled gas for big companies for a few years. The gas basically comes out of the same tank unless it is branded which means the might have there own tanks, not shared. The difference is additives, Costco comes out of the same tank as Chevron , Circle K etc... If this was not true the would be foul farms everywhere.

Sponsored

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Wow! What a bunch of crap! If you bought your Ecoboost as a dd and fuel economy....and drive it like a Prius then 87 will work great.....if you drive your car like the performance car it IS then not using the highest pump octane is just plain stupid.
The simple fact is that high compression engines (GT) and turbocharged engines (Ecoboost) should use the highest octane fuel available, the added protection against knock, detonation, ecoboom, etc...
These motors are highly efficient technological wonders compared to motors of the past, so why would you not give a fuel that burns more efficiently.....efficiency = power and fuel economy always has.
As far as “consumer reports” recommending what fuel to run in your car WTF, good luck with that, they are concerned with finance and economy, not performance.....if you want someone to tell you what fuel to run ask a tuner or performance shop.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Countless threads about oil, the life blood. I do not believe I have ever seen a thread about what you're feeding the beast.

So what's the best fuel ?

pep
You've never seen a fuel thread on this entire forum? You are $h#%ing me right?

If you're serious, you are about as blind as the refs who were officiating the Rams v Saints game last year and forgot to call pass interference.

Fuel threads are literally everywhere! You might think I'm being mean, but if you would have clicked to go to the 2nd page, there is literally a thread called 2018 MPG 87 vs 93. The search button would have displayed a plethora of threads about fuel or octane or top tier gas. I hope you don't work on your own car, I'd be scared to ride with you...

Anyways, since this thread comes up a lot, on an N/A car, you are looking at 10-15 hp difference between regular(87) and premium(91 or 93) fuel. No, you won't feel the difference either. There was a guy on this forum who said he could definitely feel the difference. That's what's commonly called the placebo effect. If you want a reference with data, I'll link you to an article where they tested a 2015-2017 with regular and premium fuel and found these results.

The real reason to run premium fuel isn't the minimal horsepower increase, it's the added protection from oil dilution and knock.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
So funny I have posted links to studies, tests, the AAA consumer reports, car magazines that have dyno tested the different fuels and all say the same thing. All top name companies that are it he car game or consumer protection game. I simply ask ok show me the proof that higher octane gas makes a difference worth the money? Not one reply yet has other then saying well because it does. We have had one person that has a nascar background say it makes no difference and one that works for a gas company and all my links yet... LOL It is also widely known that the whole top tier thing is a marketing ploy to get you to keep spending at the big oil companies pumps. Guess it works from the responses here.

I also see posts mixing the ecoboost with the GT. Two totally different engines. Yes a turbo engine does get better performance from Higher octane and is why most turbo engines require it.

Some people could have all the proof in the world presented to them and they would still keep calling the pen red.
i38snimnnux01.jpg

psoto13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pablo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury; Previously: 2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Race Red
Installed a Mr. Fusion reactor mod to my flux capacitor so banana peels and soda cans. But before that, 93 octane from BP or Shell.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Installed a Mr. Fusion reactor mod to my flux capacitor so banana peels and soda cans. But before that, 93 octane from BP or Shell.
Do you get 1.21 gigawatts of rear wheel HP?
Sponsored