Sponsored

Front License Lawbreaker!

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Texas here. I haven't had one on any of my mustangs for the last 20 years. I got pulled over once in my '08 GT about 10 years ago and got a warning. On my daily F-150, I run one as I don't care about how it looks on there.
Sponsored

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Mustang GT, 2021 Mustang GT PP1
Car will not get a inspection sticker if the front plate is not on the front, and screwed to the car, no wire tires, or sucion cups.
Personally, I think all cars should have to have 2 plates, If I get rear ended, I want my dash cam to see a plate in case the tool takes off.
it is 2021, the oem's can make the bumper cover have a spot for a plate and not look out of place, The '99-02 Pontiac T/A had a removable panel just for this, if you needed a front plate you removed the panel with the firechicken molded into it. if no plate the center of the bumper had the firechicken molded panel .
Simple.
I am not one for big brother crap, but way to many hit and run, that had phone in face and rear end someone, I like my rear camera of the dash camera to have a clear view of a front plate, so when they run, they still can't hide.
So everyone should have a front plate because of a next to 0% chance of something happening to you? Statistically what are the chances someone rear ends you and then takes off? That's like wearing a diaper every day because you have a .002% chance of shitting your pants and then saying everyone should have to wear a diaper.

If that did happen then
A. Vehicle was likely not insured
B. Vehicle was stolen
C. Vehicle plates do not match car and or driver making the front plate useless
D. All of the above

Stangluvr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT California Special
I would have tried it with no plate but the bracket was already there.
7DCE2ED4-80FF-4DF9-BAE2-6E9D2774D040.jpeg
63E92C8A-4813-4112-90D1-C1F77FDC5996.jpeg

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
It looks great with that color. Blends very nicely.

Sponsored

Mick St John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
When I bought my Mustang at the end of 2015, the state of Ohio "required" a front plate. When I took delivery the salesman asked me if I wanted the front end drilled for a plate. I thought about it and declined the offer. I drove it for a few years without incident. A year or two ago Ohio dropped the front plate requirement. I guess I made the right decision.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yeah, but if you're going to display a licence plate permanently, then it doesn't matter anymore whether you drill holes in the bumper, since they won't be seen anyway.

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Ingot Silver
Technically it’s required in Texas, but here in Houston the cops don’t seem to give a crap. I’ve passed numerous sheriffs and state troopers and they have yet to pull me over.

The dealership never drilled holes and I don’t have a front bracket so I never bothered to put it on.

TXGTPig

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Some dealers here in TX mount them, some don't and leave the mount and screws in the trunk. Mine is on so it's staying. My USMC Nam vet plate is mounted to it. TX has no mounting requirement for the front plate, position or height. Only that it be visible. Mine rides on the passenger seat. I can put it on the dash quickly. Never been messed with by LE. Only comment I get every now and then at the immigration checks is "Thanks for your service."
So years ago (early '00) I was pulled over in an area of Houston (JV) that is known for having strict cops. Guy got me for everything he could all because he was doing 28 in a 35 and I went around him (4 way street, 2 lanes both ways) at 35. My front plate was in clear sight on the front dash. One of the citations was for no front plate. He said it has to be on the furthest front most portion of the vehicle. I got everyone of the citations dropped because they were bogues to start with and he didn't show up on my court date.

Sponsored

TXGTPig

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Technically it’s required in Texas, but here in Houston the cops don’t seem to give a crap. I’ve passed numerous sheriffs and state troopers and they have yet to pull me over.

The dealership never drilled holes and I don’t have a front bracket so I never bothered to put it on.

I'm in Houston as well. Never had any issues with no front plate (20+ years now) except for in JV and Conroe.

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm in Houston as well. Never had any issues with no front plate (20+ years now) except for in JV and Conroe.
Yup! JV cops are some real a holes and they got me for a no front plate on my c5z about 5 years ago.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)

Bracket is shipped in the spare tire well. Federal law requires it must come with the car when shipped to a state requiring a front plate. Toll road troopers in Dallas would stop for no front plate. Seems they've given up as of late.

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bracket is shipped in the spare tire well. Federal law requires it must come with the car when shipped to a state requiring a front plate. Toll road troopers in Dallas would stop for no front plate. Seems they've given up as of late.
Not in mine, lol. My car was one of the last handful on the lot when they started doing their Covid sales last year. Guessing they took it out to use on another one.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
I'll bet they'd give you one if you ask nice. :wink:
Sponsored