WarMachine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 10R80 Iconic Silver
Hello everyone!

I’ve got a gnarly clunking noise at low speeds while hitting bumps and turning. Car is a base 17 GT 6MT lowered on Steeda progressives.

Long story short I couldn’t figure out what it was with the front end assembled and
now I have a strut/knuckle assembly hanging freely in my wheel wells.

I’ve very closely inspected all parts/bushings and the fasteners and concluded that the following is good:
- sway bar
- outer/inner tie rods (more on outers below)
- strut/bolts
- 3/4 of the control arms/lateral links
- both wheel hubs (I’ve already replaced a shot one)

I then found the following to be pretty beat:
- driver side control arm (ball joint very loose in comparison to the others
- both sway bar end links (bent)

While disassembling I found 2 bolts to be loose:
- a lateral & control arm bolt both on chassis side (I think the alignment tech loosened them to try and get some camber out of my stock struts/bolts).

So now I think I will have everything working after replacing everything as I’ve picked up Steeda’s adjustable end links and the FP PP control arm kit but have one reservation. Both outer tie rod ball joints - boots are in good shape, and there isn’t any serious notable play. Given this is there anything I should specifically look out for? A way to test if this is my problem?

I am hoping to not have to take this car apart again, the dang thing has been on jackstands for 1.5 weeks already as I wait for parts.

Thanks in advance! Posting on mobile, excuse formatting/typos.
hmmmm weird I’m getting the same noise on mine… car is a 2020 and only 10k miles on it sport progressive springs spacers and camber plates all from steeda ….developed a clunk sound as of late in driver’s side when turning by backing out of my driveway is when it’s most noticeable now I feel like it’s happening when making left turns as well never tracked the car just a lil aggressive street driving here and there
Sponsored

OP
OP

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT, 07 Ford Taurus SE, 95 F250 Xlt
hmmmm weird I’m getting the same noise on mine… car is a 2020 and only 10k miles on it sport progressive springs spacers and camber plates all from steeda ….developed a clunk sound as of late in driver’s side when turning by backing out of my driveway is when it’s most noticeable now I feel like it’s happening when making left turns as well never tracked the car just a lil aggressive street driving here and there
Honestly if you got your warranty I’d drag it in and make them take a look at it.

If you’re not, and are cheap like me. Assuming you’re solid structurally and it isn’t a drivetrain clunk (for whatever reason), there are only so many front end parts on these cars, just start shaking and prying on everything.

I took everything off the knuckle to inspect and found toasted ball joints on one of my arms but I don’t think it was causing my noises. I’m certain it had to deal with poorly torqued parts by the shop tech after my alignment.

i haven’t yet checked the top bearing/bushing on the struts yet but am hoping they aren’t my issue.

OP
OP

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Honestly if you got your warranty I’d drag it in and make them take a look at it.

If you’re not, and are cheap like me. Assuming you’re solid structurally and it isn’t a drivetrain clunk (for whatever reason), there are only so many front end parts on these cars, just start shaking and prying on everything.

I took everything off the knuckle to inspect and found toasted ball joints on one of my arms but I don’t think it was causing my noises. I’m certain it had to deal with poorly torqued parts by the shop tech after my alignment.

i haven’t yet checked the top bearing/bushing on the struts yet but am hoping they aren’t my issue.
i should caveat this by saying I’m not sure if I’ve solved my issue. Still waiting on parts to come in hah, go FedEx.

WarMachine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
Any updates ?

I pulled on the wheel at 3&9 o’clock positions and 12&6 and it showed no play on tie rods… still having the noise when I turn left going to call steeda and see what they say

OP
OP

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Any updates ?

I pulled on the wheel at 3&9 o’clock positions and 12&6 and it showed no play on tie rods… still having the noise when I turn left going to call steeda and see what they say
got updates! 2 loose control arm bolts, and a worn ball joint on one

no more clunks while turning braking or anything.

without taking the car apart do the following to test for noises.

shaking/tapping by hand.
Striking by rubber mallet.

Listen for any movement during both of your tests. I had 2 problems, one was so minor I had to strike it with a mallet, the other was evident with a handshake.

If you can’t find the noise you can do the following without messing up your alignment.

Retorque:
Strut bolts in engine bay.
Strut bolts in wheel well
Both control/lateral arm bolts on chassis side.
Same arm nuts on wheel knuckle side.
Sway bar end links
Tie rod end bolt

if you still have a noise you can still take apart the following without seriously throwing your alignment off:

control arms/lateral arms
sway bar end links
tie rods

i’d check them all for shot ball joints and make a decision based on your judgment/wallet fatness to replace.

Assuming everything is solid you might look into the top strut bushing/bearing thing.

I pried on mine while loaded/unloaded with a screw driver and found no play in the engine bay. I can’t offer a tell tale sign for that issue otherwise.

I also couldn’t diagnose the noise while in the car. Unless you have a fantastic understanding of car suspension and an ear for this you might just do well taking the front end apart and closely inspecting/replacing and being very meticulous with your install.

I added to my car the Ford Performance control/lateral arms and Steeda’s front sway bar end links as mine were actually bent.

Car is lowered on Steeda’s progressive springs and I noticed no clear alignment problems after installing everything. Though I think my toe might be ever so slightly off.

My car isn’t a track car, but everything is tight and quiet which is all I can ask for.

Lastly, I have no warranty, if you have a warranty just make use of it lol. If they refuse to closely inspect look at it yourself and then let them know what you think it is so they can try to find it. Getting arms torqued to spec and bushing clocked while working on the floor is no fun, and kinda dangerous lol.

Last edited:

Sponsored

WarMachine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
I feel you, I just know how does dealers are around here they’re not going to want any part in it if the car was modified with after market parts trying to get a hold of steeda but they haven’t returned my call yet !

Did the ball joints look physically bad ? Or you could only tell once you pulled them apart?
also can you upload pics of the parts that got bent ?

got updates! 2 loose control arm bolts, and a worn ball joint on one

no more clunks while turning braking or anything.

without taking the car apart do the following to test for noises.

shaking/tapping by hand.
Striking by rubber mallet.

Listen for any movement during both of your tests. I had 2 problems, one was so minor I had to strike it with a mallet, the other was evident with a handshake.

If you can’t find the noise you can do the following without messing up your alignment.

Retorque:
Strut bolts in engine bay.
Strut bolts in wheel well
Both control/lateral arm bolts on chassis side.
Same arm nuts on wheel knuckle side.
Sway bar end links
Tie rod end bolt

if you still have a noise you can still take apart the following without seriously throwing your alignment off:

control arms/lateral arms
sway bar end links
tie rods

i’d check them all for shot ball joints and make a decision based on your judgment/wallet fatness to replace.

Assuming everything is solid you might look into the top strut bushing/bearing thing.

I pried on mine while loaded/unloaded with a screw driver and found no play in the engine bay. I can’t offer a tell tale sign for that issue otherwise.

I also couldn’t diagnose the noise while in the car. Unless you have a fantastic understanding of car suspension and an ear for this you might just do well taking the front end apart and closely inspecting/replacing and being very meticulous with your install.

I added to my car the Ford Performance control/lateral arms and Steeda’s front sway bar end links as mine were actually bent.

Car is lowered on Steeda’s progressive springs and I noticed no clear alignment problems after installing everything. Though I think my toe might be ever so slightly off.

My car isn’t a track car, but everything is tight and quiet which is all I can ask for.

Lastly, I have no warranty, if you have a warranty just make use of it lol. If they refuse to closely inspect look at it yourself and then let them know what you think it is so they can try to find it. Getting arms torqued to spec and bushing clocked while working on the floor is no fun, and kinda dangerous lol.

OP
OP

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
I feel you, I just know how does dealers are around here they’re not going to want any part in it if the car was modified with after market parts trying to get a hold of steeda but they haven’t returned my call yet !

Did the ball joints look physically bad ? Or you could only tell once you pulled them apart?
also can you upload pics of the parts that got bent ?
I hear ya.

Ball joints looked okay on the surface. I noticed a substantial difference in the effort it took to move them while comparing passenger and driver. This was my giveaway that they were going, I’m uncertain if that was actually the noise (I

i don’t have photos of my sway bar end links but look up the factory ones.

brand new they are true and straight. Mine had an ever slight bend in the middle on both sides.

car drives great now. Feels a little tighter and more confident than before.

fresh balljoints and the upgraded bushings on the lateral links alongside upgraded end links was a worthy purchase.

1004ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 , 2017 Ford Edge Sport
It sounds like it comes from the steering and the top of the shock towers while idling around such as parking.

Snaps,Pops sometimes a thud. I fixed mine a month or so after the sound appeared. Drive it longer and the sounds may develop into more.

Warranty work. Dealer would have charged about $800+ The parts were $500.

If you do it yourself. The parts are less than $200 from Ford Performance.

Not a big deal to fix.
Sorry if I missed it, but could you tell me what parts it is that you bought to fix this issue.

My wife's 2015 V6 has just started doing this clunking at slow speed turning onto and off our driveway.
Sponsored