Sponsored

Front Drag Shocks

Built4Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium White
What is everyone doing for front drag shocks? Keeping it stock?

I have Viking Crusader adjustable shocks going on the rear of my 2016 GT non-PP. Putting BMR springs (front: minimal drop, rear: drag) in next week along with some other IRS goodies & I want to know if I should change the front shocks.

Goals: drag strip club traction.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
First, how are you liking those Firestones?

Second, while I'm not a drag racer at heart or in experience, from what I've been told, leaving the stock shocks up front is fine and to be more concerned about the back. I can't think of anyone on a street-driven Mustang that has benefited from some kind of different strut up front, but you can get adjustables from Koni or Steeda and try full stiff or full soft and see what the results are. In theory you'd want to send weight to the back so something that will bias a soft spring toward extending faster to sort of help lift the front end... that's what I'd want. Hopefully still being able to steer, haha.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
I am working with Viking on a few offerings.

Coilover kit, but also a stock replacement height adjustable DA strut (the Kelly design)

;)

Built4Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium White
First, how are you liking those Firestones?

Second, while I'm not a drag racer at heart or in experience, from what I've been told, leaving the stock shocks up front is fine and to be more concerned about the back. I can't think of anyone on a street-driven Mustang that has benefited from some kind of different strut up front, but you can get adjustables from Koni or Steeda and try full stiff or full soft and see what the results are. In theory you'd want to send weight to the back so something that will bias a soft spring toward extending faster to sort of help lift the front end... that's what I'd want. Hopefully still being able to steer, haha.
Firestones are a good bang for the buck, I think I paid $180 (with Firestone credit card discount) a piece from Tires Plus. I bought them when I had a 2016 base GT, but traded that in for the premium with the Roush TVS supercharger so now i need something better/wider in the rear to handle the power. These tires grip well in the rain which is a big plus here in Florida. For the price I don't think you can go wrong.

OK, got a couple of opinions from some other very experienced people on the front shocks and it seems stock fronts are fine for now.

Thank you for chiming in.

Sponsored

Stangrcr67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt premium, 1992 mustang lx 5.0
Spoke with Viking about this at PRI but they didn't say much. I really don't want to have to buy Watson kmember so I can run a 14 model adj strut. And don't really want to spend money on coil over right now since I love my BMR drag rate springs ;)

I am working with Viking on a few offerings.

Coilover kit, but also a stock replacement height adjustable DA strut (the Kelly design)

;)

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
I hope to have some good info to share soon.

So many cool things in the works - it's overwhelming!

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
They should.

I have two customers that I helped put the S197 Strange Struts on their cars....but both swapped to S197 spindles.

S197 Spindles....S197 Strange Struts....BMR S197 Front Drag Springs.....S550 Upper Strut Mounts.
Sponsored