Sponsored

Front bumper paint mismatch on ordered car, what should I do?

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
I have a white 2020 Ram, so Im on that forum from time to time and recall seeing people with the same issue on the white trucks where the front bumper was a completely different shade of white, almost like the trucks went out with the ivory white body and bright white front bumper (luckily mine wasnt one of them). Chrysler wouldn't replace them.
In the case of the Fords I have seen where the bumpers didn't match, the paint was the correct color, but it was almost like Ford had used different color primer on the bumpers than the rest of the car. Any other color does not matter, but you can see through the white, and the different color primer causes the white paint to appear to be a different shade.
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I think its more weird lighting.

Keep in mind, as someone stated, paint reflects differently on different materials. CCD's in cameras see lights and reflections a lot differently than the human eye does.

You need to put some eyes on it fast.
Does not take a rocket scientist to see the shadow. .

Also understand this, paints have a specific paint code assigned. We are way past 1950 and color matching today is very precise . Colors can be duplicated perfectly, unless you have some body man working out of his trunk painting the car.

Take a pill
Seriously doubt Ford would let a car off the lot with paint that bad......

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'd ask the dealer general manager point blank if the car was fixed. I know plastic paint can look a tad different than on metal (and that's mostly due to the added additives plastic paint needs for flexibility, I was told), but white is the least noticeable color. I have a pearl white car and can't even tell any difference at all. My money is that the bumper was repainted, for some reason, but hope I'm wrong.

Since you lived there, I'd ask a friend to check it out for you, and decide if you want it with that defect or not. If not, I'd call off everything immediately, to avoid losing any money. Good luck.

OP
OP
Rusherific

Rusherific

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
I'd ask the dealer general manager point blank if the car was fixed. I know plastic paint can look a tad different than on metal (and that's mostly due to the added additives plastic paint needs for flexibility, I was told), but white is the least noticeable color. I have a pearl white car and can't even tell any difference at all. My money is that the bumper was repainted, for some reason, but hope I'm wrong.

Since you lived there, I'd ask a friend to check it out for you, and decide if you want it with that defect or not. If not, I'd call off everything immediately, to avoid losing any money. Good luck.
At least in California here dealers are supposed to disclose repaired damage on a form I signed. I doubt they would lie on that otherwise it's a criminal matter if I discover anything, and they certainly wouldn't give me a different story then if I asked.

EvilMerlin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
201 GT350 - Lead Foot Grey with Black stripes.
Does not take a rocket scientist to see the shadow. .

Also understand this, paints have a specific paint code assigned. We are way past 1950 and color matching today is very precise . Colors can be duplicated perfectly, unless you have some body man working out of his trunk painting the car.

Take a pill
Seriously doubt Ford would let a car off the lot with paint that bad......

Look the guy is investing $72k+ plus on a new car. He can be a little anxious.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

As you said. Take a pill

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
All I know for sure is that if I'd waited 5 years, hell even just the year from when I ordered it, I'd be there picking it up in person! Pretty sure I couldn't stand to put it on a transporter either.
Good luck OP, hope the color difference is only from the pictures.

OP
OP
Rusherific

Rusherific

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
All I know for sure is that if I'd waited 5 years, hell even just the year from when I ordered it, I'd be there picking it up in person! Pretty sure I couldn't stand to put it on a transporter either.
Good luck OP, hope the color difference is only from the pictures.
It was my original plan to drive up in my trade in, do the whole in person thing, have a nice drive back on highway 1, etc. I was even going to spend the weekend and have it PPF wrapped before bringing it back down, but the guy said that's a bad idea since he recommends coming back in a week for touch ups etc, so I should only do that work locally. That in addition to my partner being worried about COVID stuff etc, I settled on shipping as a better option. I'd rather have it shipped down here straight to my Xpel guy rather than driving my like-new trade in 400 miles on a god awful trucking-route interstate up there, and a new car 400 miles back unprotected. It wasn't until after I had decided that and booked a carrier that I even found out about paint issues =as something new cars can even have, it never occurred to me honestly. My current car I bought last year is the only new car I've ever had. Like I've said this car is a keeper for me, I want my kids to be able to experience it someday, I'm not worried about resale. So if there's problems with it I can't live with when I get it I don't mind fixing them properly using a shop that will do a better job than the dealer would anyway.

OP
OP
Rusherific

Rusherific

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R

As you said. Take a pill
Yeah...I mean you can google "bumper paint mismatch" and find 100's of examples from any manufacturer not just ford of much worse examples than my car here. So paint codes or not it's a very real issue that gets past QA all the time.

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
It was my original plan to drive up in my trade in, do the whole in person thing, have a nice drive back on highway 1, etc. I was even going to spend the weekend and have it PPF wrapped before bringing it back down, but the guy said that's a bad idea since he recommends coming back in a week for touch ups etc, so I should only do that work locally. That in addition to my partner being worried about COVID stuff etc, I settled on shipping as a better option. I'd rather have it shipped down here straight to my Xpel guy rather than driving my like-new trade in 400 miles on a god awful trucking-route interstate up there, and a new car 400 miles back unprotected. It wasn't until after I had decided that and booked a carrier that I even found out about paint issues =as something new cars can even have, it never occurred to me honestly. My current car I bought last year is the only new car I've ever had. Like I've said this car is a keeper for me, I want my kids to be able to experience it someday, I'm not worried about resale. So if there's problems with it I can't live with when I get it I don't mind fixing them properly using a shop that will do a better job than the dealer would anyway.
Keeper or not, I wouldn’t spend that type of money to have a “better shop” “fix” it. Wouldn’t waste time jacking with the dealer to fix it. I would find a car, do a FaceTime video If it looks solid, but it and go get it.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Yeah...I mean you can google "bumper paint mismatch" and find 100's of examples from any manufacturer not just ford of much worse examples than my car here. So paint codes or not it's a very real issue that gets past QA all the time.
Company called Magna makes and paints bumpers for a lot of OEM companies. They are not painted with the car so even things like air pressure and humidity can affect the paint. My view is that on a 70K car, you don't want to come out and look at it every day and be annoyed that the paint doesn't match. You can't un-see it. I custom paint motorcycles, so I'm way pickier than most people but I understand your angst.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rusherific

Rusherific

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Keeper or not, I wouldn’t spend that type of money to have a “better shop” “fix” it. Wouldn’t waste time jacking with the dealer to fix it. I would find a car, do a FaceTime video If it looks solid, but it and go get it.
Well I got a facetime video of this one today and looked much better live than in the photos, so that's what gave me some comfort at least and what's tipped me towards just going with it. Again, I wouldn't be *happy* if it's not nice looking when it gets here. But it's a weighing of time and effort. If this were a base F-150 and not the last year of a limited production car then yes my attitude might be quite different.

So yes I'm betting on it being acceptable, which probably at this point 90% chance it is, and if it turns out to be a worst case scenario, I'd rather spend my energy on a known problem of one bumper if I need to than hunting the country for a unicorn car for a similar price that might have the same issue or worse anyway. It's not the end of the world. And from a cold hard practical perspective, if another R out there winds up costing me even just 2k more to own including travel or options I don't want or whatever else, it already will not have been worth it vs going with this one. So for all practical purposes my options are: hope for the best or give up on owning a new GT350R. Driving 800 miles round trip to tell them to get fucked might be the "principled" thing to do but then I don't have a car. I get why others would choose that option, I do. But I've made peace with this whatever happens. Wish me luck!

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
You sure you don't want to just make the 400 mile drive to make sure your $72k purchase is right? You don't have to refuse the car if the paint is not right, but I bet you will accomplish more in-person than over the phone or by email. Remember, there is a survey Ford sends out after the purchase. Make sure to mention this to your sales guy, as one bad response may cause them to lose their monthly earnings from FoMoCo.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase

As you said. Take a pill
It is very plain that is a shadow. You may have missed that having many fog and cloudy days, living across the pond.

You're excused....

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Well I got a facetime video of this one today and looked much better live than in the photos, so that's what gave me some comfort at least and what's tipped me towards just going with it. Again, I wouldn't be *happy* if it's not nice looking when it gets here. But it's a weighing of time and effort. If this were a base F-150 and not the last year of a limited production car then yes my attitude might be quite different.

So yes I'm betting on it being acceptable, which probably at this point 90% chance it is, and if it turns out to be a worst case scenario, I'd rather spend my energy on a known problem of one bumper if I need to than hunting the country for a unicorn car for a similar price that might have the same issue or worse anyway. It's not the end of the world. And from a cold hard practical perspective, if another R out there winds up costing me even just 2k more to own including travel or options I don't want or whatever else, it already will not have been worth it vs going with this one. So for all practical purposes my options are: hope for the best or give up on owning a new GT350R. Driving 800 miles round trip to tell them to get fucked might be the "principled" thing to do but then I don't have a car. I get why others would choose that option, I do. But I've made peace with this whatever happens. Wish me luck!
I hope you plan on keeping the car for a very very long time because if you plan to fix the bumper issue later, your resale value will diminish. If you dont agree on a fix before the car gets picked up most likely the dealer and Ford will be off the hook.

Back in 2008 I had a 2006 Lexus ES350 that I had to repaint the front bumper because of highway driving and tailgating. Long story short, I had the front bumper painted and when to get it appraised for a trade in the dealers came between 3 to 4k less. They said that they don't know if the bumper was replaced as the carfax showed very minor damage reported. Your call

OP
OP
Rusherific

Rusherific

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
It is very plain that is a shadow. You may have missed that having many fog and cloudy days, living across the pond.

You're excused....
I'm not sure what shadow you're talking about. Specifically I'm looking at the front of the hood where it meets the top of the grill cowling, which is entirely broad daylight reflection of the sun. There's a 10-15 degree difference in hue according to photoshop across the panel gap there in every photo I got of the car (many more than I bothered posting here). In fact the seam at the wheel not being hit directly by sunlight look much better matched. Shadows have nothing to do with it.
Sponsored