I'll never have fwd again for my car if I can help it

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Learn counter steer. Steer into the skid.

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
Just thinking about this more and since I'm not a gear head... Are one or both rear wheels powered? Are both rear wheels powered equal? If it matters we're getting an auto transmission with the std rear end.
Thanks

Joe
I don't know if any model of Mustang comes with an open differential. You should have a posi traction or limited slip differential so you get power to both wheels. That and a good set of snow tires and your set. I use a F-150 4x4 for my daily vehicle. I used a rear wheel drive vehicle for many years though. 340 dusters and darts. I used snow tires on the front wheels also.

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Anybody know what the smallest winter tire size you can get on the rear of a PP GT is? I found some 235 55 19 winter tires.

Last edited:

Sponsored

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I'm in the same boat. Been driving FWD cars forever. I'm pretty intimidated to drive in the rain right now. But I have the PP Pirelli tires on it, sadly.

Was thinking to swap out to Michelin Pilot AS/3s immediately. Make a big difference in rain?

For winter, that's why I have a daily driver Toyota. :)

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
I'm in the same boat. Been driving FWD cars forever. I'm pretty intimidated to drive in the rain right now. But I have the PP Pirelli tires on it, sadly.

Was thinking to swap out to Michelin Pilot AS/3s immediately. Make a big difference in rain?

For winter, that's why I have a daily driver Toyota. :)
the summer tires are good down to around 40F. And at that they probably provide less grip than a decent All Season. If it were me, I would find some all-seasons with good consumer reviews, such as found on tirerack, and put those on.

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
My car has 255 R19's Pirelli Nero's All Season on all 4 corners.. it's been raining a ton here, and while the EB is no GT it can spin the wheels when you want it to, so far I've been happy with their performance in the rain. I turn off AdvanceTrac for the hell of it heh.. it's fun drifting around slow 90 degree corners in the city.. excellent braking ability I might add. In the dry however, they spin rather easy and do not make squealing noises which leads me to believe they don't have much dry grip, but they've been decent in the rain.

Hell one time I was doing 60mph on i95 in the rain at night and hit a large puddle right on the edge of the lane (couldn't see it), car didn't even flinch, just powered right through with a giant splash Lol.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Find an empty, open parking lot and practice breaking the car loose and correcting, and over-correcting, doing donuts, etc.). Preferably in the rain as everything happens more easily at a lower speed.

-T

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 auto Foundry pkg.
Don't floor it and turn it? I do that in the rain in my 4WD Acura! Gonna give up a lot when I finally get my Mustang, but also gain some things. Buying a used top of the line car cheap spoils you...

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Hi All,

Not sure if this is too elementary of a question but I'll give it a go. We ordered a 2016 GT/CS and it should be built next week.

I haven't driven a rear wheel drive vehicle in 25 years or so. Since that time only front wheel drive and now a small SUV. There are things I take for granted in a front wheel drive vehicle when turning, accelerating, braking, traction, etc and I don't think about any more. In driving the the new Mustang, is there any sort of re-learning to a rear wheel drive vehicle?

Thanks,

Joe
I wouldn't exactly call it "re-learning" . . . what you need to be doing as you drive a higher performance car than what you've been accustomed to driving is making ALL of your control inputs "smooth". Ideally, you should learn to tell from the way the car feels that it's getting close to coming unstuck - there is a little warning before all hell breaks loose if you're paying close enough attention, so this can be learned . . . if you aren't blowing through that little warning so fast that you can't pick up on it.

With FWD you can nearly always get away with a somewhat jerky "stomp, stab, and steer" driving style, which can and will bite you in the wet (or winter) if you carry that over to driving a RWD car that has some power.

Those who are seriously afraid that they (or you) will end up in a ditch if you more than think about adding throttle in a turn haven't learned how to drive smoothly yet and are still driving at a "S, S, & S" level (no personal flame to the guilty intended, it just is what it is).

An empty parking lot without many light poles and islands after a couple inches of snow has fallen is about as good as it gets for finding out how the car will behave under adverse conditions - and how to catch it when you do get it loose. I give myself a little refresher course most every time it snows. A wet autocross is also a great opportunity, particularly if you can get an instructor to ride along and provide commentary and discussion after each run.

Norm

GNS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
Does the GT have any issues getting up hills during winter? I know it is fine everywhere else with a good set of winter tires.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Does the GT have any issues getting up hills during winter? I know it is fine everywhere else with a good set of winter tires.
Generally speaking RWD cars will have better weight distribution vs a FWD car however, weight is good thing on the drive wheels in the snow/icy condition so a FWD will normally have more weight on the drive wheels than a RWD. But RWD also allows better weight shift than FWD because FWD when accelerating tends to lift the front where RWD shifts the weight to the back for more grip.

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
Pleasure reading all the posts.

I like this kind of threads, with friendly discussions, where you can learn something.
Sponsored