Sponsored

Friends let friends drive their Mustangs.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I've always lived by the old saying "If you can't afford to replace it, don't borrow it". And as I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, one missed shift (or accidental down shift) can set you back $5000. Not covered by insurance or warranty.
Sponsored

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance
must be on crack. my wife isn't even allowed to drive my pony. and I kinda like her

RemoteSenses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 RR
must be on crack. my wife isn't even allowed to drive my pony. and I kinda like her
No offense, but I just find this incredibly strange. Is she a bad driver or something? I can understand not letting your friends drive it, but your WIFE?

I don't know. To each their own I suppose.

WatchSquid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
93 Reef Blue Mustang convertible
I've had several people co-drive my Mustang at autocross events and a friend of mine and I swapped cars for a HDPE event.

The best thing is the look on their face when they see how well it handles and goes.

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
I'll let a friend drive my car. I just won't let him drive it sideways down a city street. There's a difference.

Sponsored

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
Sure.....why not???...that's what insurance is for.....I've already had a few friends drive it and as far as the GF/wives driving it....its my wife's daily driver.....

jlmoya88

Fucking A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Gray Premium Ecoboost
My girlfriend didn't want to she was nervous she knows I love this car but I made her and she loved it even more so than her brothers 14 evo

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
Good point. Thinking back on it, I was in this situation once years ago. Buddy and I road tripped from AZ to WI for a wedding. We were in my 7-year-old MT Neon. We swapped positions and he drove for a few hours. So you got me there! Different scenario than joyriding a brand new Mustang w/a few extra horses or handing over the keys w/o riding along, but I'll admit in that situation I've let a buddy drive my car.

whirledpeaz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 Lariat
I dont have a problem letting a friend or family member drive. Admittedly I might be a little nervous but as long as they are responsible then I'm ok with it. We've told our son he could drive it. He's a good and responsible driver but not a car guy. Relationships to people far outweigh relationships to things

Sponsored

Mustangchief

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kona Blue GT
I thought I would be the only person to drive my LE, but after driving it and experiencing the uniqueness (Auto with PP) I just had to share the feeling. I've let everyone in the family to include a 16 yr old niece with a new license. Yes, I was sitting co-pilot for the novice drivers. I let a friend of my parents who has been a die hard Mustang fan drive it. I trailer-ed it home to PA for vacation and his wish was just to see it. He had not seen an LE and had never driven a 2105. He owned a 2011 GT that he kept immaculate. After drooling over the car for a few minutes showing due care not to paw or rub the polish job I spent weeks doing, I knew it would make his day to drive it. I offered, he politely declined saying he could not afford it should something go wrong. Well, I can and insisted he drive it. You could have put a large banana in the smile on his face, he just gushed about the power and handling. This is a guy who grew up with big blocks in the 60's and 70's. I don't know that I've ever heard thanks so many times in such a short span. Even after all the Thanks, I still second guessed myself about letting someone I met 15 minutes before drive my favorite stang. A few weeks after returning home I got a really nice thank you card and note. No more second guessing, it was the right thing to do. It was kind of a pay it forward for an event that involved me and the Shelby GT500 in June of 2005...but that's another story

70monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT
There are only a select few people that I would let drive my car by themselves. With me in it, probably quite a few more.

For me personally, it comes down to finances and how I take care of my stuff. A lot of the people around me don't give two shits about how they take care of their vehicles so why would I let them borrow mine. I'm very anal about my vehicles and don't want them wrecked or screwed up.

I also have a $500 deductable on my insurance so I'm still out money if someone wrecks it not to mention having an accident on my insurance. I'm not made of money and the reality is that most people including friends and family are not going to pony of the deductable money because they damaged your car. That has been my experience.

I choose to be choosy on who drives my vehicle because I'm the one paying for it and my experience has been that most people don't take care of their own stuff much less other people's.

A good example is my fiancee's 18 year old son. On two different occasions he damaged her Honda Rancher ATV. The first time to the tune of $500 worth of parts and the second time about a $100 worth of parts. Neither time did he offer to pay or help fix it. Both of these times I spent hours taking damaged parts off and re-installing new ones. All he cared about was when it was going to be fixed so he could borrow it again. That is the thanks she got for letting him borrow her stuff. Unfortunately she can't say no so he continues to use her stuff even though he has shown he doesn't give a damn about taking care of stuff.

Wayne

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've let some people drive my car before, but I haven't let anyone drive the 2015 yet. It's just getting to that point where it's old enough I'd probably let someone drive it. People rarely ask me, though. When people drove my last GT it was because I offered to them.