Sponsored

FP Tune restore and configure operation.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
I just had my FP tune installed a little over a week ago on my 2020 eco premium and am having issues with not being able to communicate with the PCM in the configure tab. it does not show the correct 3.15 axle ratio or the tire size revs per mile number that it should and I cannot change those values because when in the configure tab screen it shows the message "
"Error reading PCM data"
"Verifying"
"Error reading vehicle data"

It never lets the axle ratio and tire rev gauge light up like they should if there is communication between the PCM and laptop and populate with correct numbers. The axle ratio is fixed at 2.70 versus the 3.15 it should be, and the tire rev is at 732.00 versus the 760 it should be according to the method the instructions say to use by marking the tire and ground and rolling one full revolution and measure the distance it travels which on my car is 83.375 inches. Car is running fine and seems to be better performance wise with correct speedo reading compared to my GPS speed app. Stock 1/4 mile time was 14.48/100mph and time after FP tune was 13.98/104mph so good improvement.

Also, if I go to the program tab and select the "PCM.recorder.PC3" file which should be the saved stock calibration and open the file there is no program or restore buttons illuminated so am unable to reflash back to stock calibration.

I have a buddy with the FP program in a 17 eco and he can flash back and forth from the performance cal to stock with no issues and has the restore button come up when he opens the 'PCM.recorder.PC3" file. Also with his program when he goes to configure tab it automatically shows "Verifying" and populates the correct 3.15 axle ratio and 764 for tire rev number.

I have contacted FP tech and they had me send screen shots of the pages where the issues are occurring but have not heard back yet from them.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same issues and what you did to correct them or if you were even able to get corrected.

Same issue as in this old thread.
Ford performance procal 3 | Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum

BD
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like something didn’t correctly write or maybe the device lost connection or maybe battery dropped to low during

wait for fpto Further reply

OP
OP
Buldawg76

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I have reflashed several times with same results. Battery charger on every time with voltage at 12.3 volts or above.

BD

OP
OP
Buldawg76

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Well just got off phone with FP person I talked to Friday about the issues, and I was told that once you flash the FP tune you cannot go back to stock. He said he passed my emails with pics on to another rep that is supposed to be working with engineers to see if they can figure it out.

Funny that my buddy with a 2017 can flash between the FP and stock cals at will with no issues and his configure shows the correct axle ratio and tire revolution numbers.

So is this just 18+ issue and if so, why does the FP sales literature/instructions make no mention of if you flash the FP cal you cannot got back to stock cal. The instructions for the FP tuner even show the procedure to return to stock cal.

I am not happy with FP right now and like my handle implies I will not give up till I either get the issue fixed where I can go back to stock cal and configure works correctly or will be going up the chain till, I get someone that can fix the issues or return car to stock cal and refund my money for the FP tune.:devil:

BD

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
hes wrong thats so stupid. you save the stock tune before you flash. you can go back and fourth a dozen times

problem with FP team, is Dif members have diff experience.

but you can go to ford and pay 100 and they will refresh the ecu to stock tune though on the off chance, someone didnt save your tune before it was done, I thought it was automatic. but yeah, you save the tune and its a file on the pc. if you lose it, you lose the tune.

if you did absolutely lose the stock tune file, (the file, is located on the pc that was used to flash) they need to give it to you, or its on your pc if you did yourself.

but no end of world, 100 bucks refresh to stock, then refresh to FP, and SAVE THE STOCK FILE on a thumbdrive/laptop this time

Sponsored

OP
OP
Buldawg76

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
who flashed your tune? the stock tune is automatically saved I believe to the PC used, it'll be on the ford program files on the laptop directory I forget the name

OP
OP
Buldawg76

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
The tune was done with my laptop so yes it has the PCM.recorder.PC3 files on it but there is no button that highlights for a restore function in either the stack or FP tune files.

I am not paying dealer to reflash to stock cal, it will be FP that pays if that's what has to be done.

BD

OP
OP
Buldawg76

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I had an ASE tech friend of mine help me do the tune.

BD

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
see, when I did it, I just refreshed back to stock using that pcm file. I forget the buttons to do so.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Buldawg76

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I understand but when I click on the stock cal file there are no buttons that I can click on to flash it back in, it will not even open the file,

What year was your musting. 15-17 or 18+.

BD

OP
OP
Buldawg76

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
My parts buddy has a 17 mustang and he just flashed back to stock cal last night since gas is going thru the roof.

BD

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
see if he can instruct you.
I am worried your stock cal file may of been corrupted or something unfortunate. idk.

OP
OP
Buldawg76

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Well, I am screwed and a word of warning to anyone with an 18+ eco and likely even other ford.
I missed the note at the very bottom of the FP tuner info page that states

"" Note: Due to limitations in the PCM, if stock calibration re-installation is required, you must go to a Ford dealer for 'as-built' calibration installation. Any questions, please contact the Ford Performance Tech-line. ""

So, the only way I can go back to stock is have my dealer reflash the PCM with the "as built' calibration in my PCM. :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

BD

Last edited:

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
the pcm is the same as the 2017 though. I dont understand what's different?
Sponsored