FP power pack3 causing coils to go bad?

sonicblue2004

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT California , Roush Phase 1 S/C w/ VMP Tune
I have a 2017 GT + pp3, last year the dealer had to replace two coil packs and two sparks after the engine started throwing misfire codes. A year later the car is starting to backfire more and feels sluggish. I fear the coils are going bad once again. Same driver feel as when the car was indicating a misfire. So far no codes. Has anyone else experienced similar issues?
Sponsored

Chad1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
How many miles do you have? I work on ford trucks for a living and am no stranger to cop failures, but sometimes, probably more often than not there is a cause to it, but I doubt that the pp3 would have anything to do with it. Usually on the trucks it is junk down in the spark plug hole causing the coil to ground out, or bad valve cover gasket leaking oil down into the holes. I have seen a few 5.0 issues with the wiring being tight and breaking over time on the back 2 holes. A misfire wont necessarily throw a code right away. With Ids I am able to isolate the cylinder that is running poorly with a power balance test and go from their whether there is a code or not. If you don't want to take it in to the dealer I would start with a fresh set of plugs and go from there if it has been misfiring on one cylinder you will see that the plug should look different than the others.

OP
OP
sonicblue2004

sonicblue2004

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT California , Roush Phase 1 S/C w/ VMP Tune
I have about 16500. So still new in terms of miles. Now the FP3 tune did add a ton of exhaust blips and excess noise, maybe too much in the tune and how my car is reacting. I plan on replacing the plugs this weekend and bought new coil packs, way cheaper than what the dealer would charge. The dealers around me are hassle to deal with even though every mod is a ford performance part dealer installed.
Sponsored