Four-month review

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
I just realized that today is the 4th anniversary of my Mustang's purchase on September 23, so I thought a four-month review might be worth a few minutes.

Overall, I'm very happy with the car. It's faster and quicker than I need it to be, and it handles as well as I'll ever require. It's gotten me out of a few jams with its braking and overall responsiveness, and that's without any special suspension options. I'm sure it could be tighter, but it's not something I'll likely ever have to worry about.

I'll say that my satisfaction level has increased quite a bit since I got my transmission harshness worked out. It's crazy that it was something so simple as too-little transmission fluid, but there you have it. It's now as smooth to drive as my Infiniti G37 was, but so much more sporty and responsive when I want/need it to be. In fact, I'm remembering rough shifts with the Infiniti that I'm not experiencing with the Mustang.

The creature comforts are fine. I've switched to Android Auto and so don't use as many Ford Sync features such as audio and navi. I like all of the automatic features like rain-sensing windshield wipers, auto-dimming headlights, and such. I also use the heated steering wheel more than I thought I would, although it should be easier to turn on and off.

When I'm by myself, I drive in Sports+ mode from a cold start. Don't do anything crazy with it, I just like the extra responsiveness that it provides. And, of course, the extra bit of exhaust note.

I like it for jaunts around town as well as longer cruises. It's great as a daily driver, although my gas mileage has been pretty bad at around 15 MPG average. But that's because I like to get to legal speeds pretty quickly.

There's nothing major to note that I don't like about the car. Overall, I'd say it's my favorite of all the cars I've owned, and I'm happy to have made what wasn't the most practical purchase.
Sponsored

FinitePrimus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
How are you feeling about the Pirelli tires?
I've heard lots of complaints and I wonder if maybe they changed the tire a little with my year - 2021 PP1.

They are like ice skates when they are cold but once they warm up and the pressure comes up about 4psi after driving 20-25 minutes they are sticky. I can mash the pedal in 2nd gear and on decent roads there is no traction issues (A10).

Sponsored

OP
OP
wynand32

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
I've heard lots of complaints and I wonder if maybe they changed the tire a little with my year - 2021 PP1.

They are like ice skates when they are cold but once they warm up and the pressure comes up about 4psi after driving 20-25 minutes they are sticky. I can mash the pedal in 2nd gear and on decent roads there is no traction issues (A10).
I haven't noticed any slipperyness, but I just might not be driving in such a way that it would show up.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2023 mustang GT

that’s what I’m reading is a lot of complaining also and they need to be warmedup.

im Just breaking her in so I haven’t had much experience yet.

3szoom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
that’s what I’m reading is a lot of complaining also and they need to be warmedup.

im Just breaking her in so I haven’t had much experience yet.
They're fine until about 7000 miles then they turn into mush. I have a 2021 and I by 9000 miles they had worn down pretty badly especially in back. I've never done burnouts although I do like to get to speed quickly, and they're fine tires until all of a sudden they're scary as hell.

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
I'm at 8400 with my 21 GT PP...and yes the tires are about to be changed. I usually have it in rain/snow in bad weather and it definitely helps keep her straight, even if I get on the throttle.

I just upgraded the B&O "sub" with a dual-12" box and it's now a decent sounding stereo. The added subs allow you to turn down the overall bass, which helps the rest of the system perform better. I still may upgrade mids/highs...we'll see.

This is my first Ford and so far I'm happy with the feel of the car. My last few cars have been Dodge (SRT8 challenger and SCAT charger with a 392 in both). Those cars are boats and it feels like it when driving "spirited". The Mustang is very nimble. I do miss some of the 392's low end torque...but the Coyote revs pretty fast and once you're in the upper band, it has plenty of go.

Of course the interior is smaller than both Dodge cars...and my kids miss the extra set of doors. But we have an SUV for that. I went with the Mustang over the Camaro due to the slightly more room in the backseat and better visibility. But I do wish it had the Camaro's heads' up display. The Mustang also doesn't have a sunroof or an "oh shit handle" for the passenger (my wife is annoyed at that).

We'll see how the Ford is on reliability and staying out of the shop. Shit happens...just want to stay out of the shop as much as possible due to the craziness with ordering parts or getting work done.

OP
OP
wynand32

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
The Mustang also doesn't have a sunroof or an "oh shit handle" for the passenger (my wife is annoyed at that).
Yep, my wife hates the lack of a passenger handle as well. First thing she noticed about the car.
Sponsored