Sponsored

2017 Mustang GT PP 2 Month, 2.5k Mile Review

WarrENDeatH

The Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R 'Hellbat'
I did a brief review at 500 miles, and decided to skip it at 1k, and 2k miles. So, here I am now, ready to give you a brief overview of my Ford Mustang GT with the performance package.

14232618_10155153420513765_5480465373900550574_n.jpg

Initial Thoughts vs How I feel Now:

I was told that I would get bored of this car. Some even said that my relaxed BMW 3 series would out perform the Mustang. So far, every sort of negative connotation towards my car has been entirely wrong. I will go into further detail, but so far, this car continues to be fun. Whether it's pulling (rowing) through 6 gears, or the always at your ready power, the car is fun. I still always turn back at it, when walking away, so pleasantly surprised to see a car I own. "Wait, that's my car?" I still get noticed, with the occasional little kid staring at it in awe. I've had one idiot at work say my car was ugly, after that? So many people have told me it is gorgeous, countless times.

Drive:

My 3 series wasn't fast. I would probably say it was quick, but it felt right in turns. Initially, I was worried about the cumbersome weight of the massive (and mighty) Mustang. Yet, the car, for all its weight, still manages to push through corners (even in the damn cold). The back end doesn't push out, nearly as bad as the base GT does. I've had a few people attempt to race me, and even a few Miata owners try to tally me on corners. Regardless, the car is still fun, with plenty of great driver moments. Could an M3 out corner it? Without a doubt, but this car still manages to be FUN.

Value:

Perhaps the most impressive part of this car: the value. Sure, gas sucks. My consistent MPG pushes around 18.5mpg. Regardless, the car has fantastic headlights (better than my BMW), great rear tail lights, fantastic engine, and great, smooth operating mechanics.

How's It Holding Up?

I will never mix words about what I think about Ford. I've believed for forever that they make cheap cars. I always make the joke that my car only reminds me once that it is a Ford. They just make cheap cars. Rarely does the Mustang remind me it is cheap. Sometimes, the gears mechanical nature feels a bit too notchy, almost like I'm going to rip the damn gear. However, the interior, even the cloth seats, feel appropriate for the price point. I won't say they sell the car, but they aren't Kia or even other Ford car's cheap. That, and the interior is ridiculously easy to clean. At two months old, the interior of my car looks and smells brand new. (pats self on back)

Cold Weather:

In my ownership, I've heard the following:

"Have fun in the cold."
"You're going to get destroyed when it snows."
"Don't those suck in cold weather."
"You live in Ohio, GOOD LUCK."

So far, my car has taken on 28 degree weather, torrential downpours and frost without issues. I'm not going to lie, the Pirelli tires aren't great. Occasionally they push turns when they shouldn't. That being said, the car handles fantastically, with some laid back driving, and avoiding unnecessary torque (I frequently start out in second gear) the Mustang performs admirably. I've slid a few times, sometimes underestimating the mighty engine, but I'm never punished. I can always course correct, without issue. I'm a few weeks away from putting on winter tires, and preparing for what some are saying might be a bad winter. Bring it on? So far, if you're looking for a Mustang, and winters might scare you? Don't.

Final Word:

The only immediate need in the Mustang was a subwoofer, after that? I haven't done anything but keep it stock. The car has performed beyond belief. With so many people continuously asking, "Is it still fun?" Yes. Heck, even in the rain, I don't panic. I'm not like, "Wow, this is going to be rough!" The car continues to drive with a confidence that relays to me. I can always feel the wheels, and a deep connection with the steering wheel that excites me every time I drive it.

I now have a favorite saying, "The two greatest things I have in my life, my fiancee(and soon to be wife) and my Mustang. I'm happy." And believe me, I'm beyond happy.
Sponsored

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
Great review thanks!

Can you compare and contrast the base suspension to pp?

I am thinking of non pp for my upcoming order with the reasoning being I can easily add some mods for for better handling.

Not going to track the car and I don't want an overly hard ride.

MattW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT w/ PP
Nice review. I have the same car. I also had a BMW E46 3-er. The thing I like about this car is the power and the LSD. I hated the brake-operated anti-wheel-spin in the BMW. But it was fun to drive: very balanced end-to-end otherwise. For me, the killer in the S550 is the gas. I'm getting 14 mpg at best.

fast88fox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT Premium PP
Great review thanks!

I am thinking of non pp for my upcoming order with the reasoning being I can easily add some mods for for better handling.

I drove a base and a PP before I bought the PP. The ride is a bit more harsh but the base car just felt floaty and not connected to me. Plus the PP pack is worth the price just for the Brembo's. It's not the end all to mustang handling and you will probably want to add pieces anyways. The Steeda stop the hop kit and the irs & g-track braces also make a huge difference.

Kenny_S550GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I drove a base and a PP before I bought the PP. The ride is a bit more harsh but the base car just felt floaty and not connected to me. Plus the PP pack is worth the price just for the Brembo's.
I too drove a base before getting my PP GT. I agree that the base felt a little floaty. While the base GT has a form of Brembo brakes(from what I was told), I felt that they weren't as responsive as the Brembos on the PP. Although the PP comes with a few suspension upgrades, there are always more that can be added. Definitely not bad for the price though.

Sponsored

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Great review thanks!

Great Review!

The test drive mustang I chose had PP and I went with Base GT. Huge difference. For daily driving I prefer the Base. It really soaks up road imperfections but feels more like a normal comfortable car. A lot less sporty and loose feeling. Very similar to older gen GT's and classic muscle cars.

Give it time and I'll be going aftermarket for suspension and wider rims. The stock all-seasons are absolutely terrible and cannot handle even WOT in 2nd.

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Nice review! :headbang:

Just wait till you open up it's singing voice a little bit. It ups the fun factor a lot more than I ever expected it to (I'd pair that with a sound tube delete if you feel it's too loud in the car).

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Great review thanks!

The PP is a lot more than slightly stiffer suspension, a lot more. And the ride is not hard at all.

Get the PP, it's worth every penny.

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
Great write up! You may want All Season tires at some point.

Beautiful car! :cheers:

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
also i drove both but.. im going to mod the car anyway so. i got a base. no sense in spending money on stuff im going to replace anyway .. if i wouldnt have a got a great deal on this and ordered one .. i would have got a base with 20 inch rims,instead of the 18s and a upgraded radio. base radios are way to small of a screen

Sponsored

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with the review and my 16 GT base needs suspension help, but the fun per miles for me are 18-19 mpg. It's a great car to mod.

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
If you're going to drive a Mustang in the winter where it snows then get a snow tire. All season tires ain't worth a damn, especially on a muscle car.
You said the car turns great even in the cold. You need to be careful with those Pirellis. When those tires are in their designed temperature they will tell you when to get off of them. When it's cold they just snap loose. Find a parking lot and try it for yourself. I wouldn't want to see that nice car in another thread all bent up.

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
If I get a base suspension GT, the all season tires will be quickly replaced with a set of performance summer tires.

That alone will greatly improve handling and braking.
My future mustang will not be a winter driver...I'm keeping my trusty Tacoma for that.

Gigantor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
The 5.0 by itself is a new drug
Sponsored