HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
It’s pretty interesting that there’s no financial benefit to the driver for the championship, all goes to the constructors. I’m referring to a type of prize for winning not on the secondary market.
Drivers complained about getting screwed. To rub it in F1 made the F1 Driver Championship trophy look like this: I particularly like that it is the self-tapping variety.

1668512882086.png
Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Christian Horner weighs in on Max Verstappen penalty after eventful Brazilian GP (msn.com)

Hello; I figure all who follow this thread have by now read or heard some about the crash between Lweis and Max the other day. Max got a penalty, but the extra and long pit stop pretty much did for his race.
Based on past incidents I figured the call would go against Max even tho he was running at the very edge of the track and Lewis had multiple widths of track to his left. Just the way it has been the last few years. Lewis gets more favored calls over all. Sure enough in a bit the 5 second call come in on Max.

In the link above some argue it was at best a racing incident and that makes sense. After the extra pit stop Max was already out of the running for a win. Later during the race other drivers races each other side by side thru the curves with each giving the other room on the track.
Anyway my point is included in the link above. That being a photo taken of the incident at a point which shows the situation well. Max was plenty enough along side and at the extreme edge of the racing surface. Lokk at all the empty track width the other side of lewis. Pretty much explains it all.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Lewis gives ground. What a crock of ….. Like he did at Silverstone and punted Verstappen in to the wall at 170mph. Ya ok.
I did not say EVERY time...but even the largest Max fan can go back and see how many times Max dove into the corners and how many times Lewis did give ground.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
It’s pretty interesting that there’s no financial benefit to the driver for the championship, all goes to the constructors. I’m referring to a type of prize for winning not on the secondary market.
Hello; You state the point accurately. My take is the drivers' championship became an honorarium sort of after thought to the manufacture's championship. The drivers get a trophy and I guess can use the fact to make ad appearances and can make money from that sort of thing. Maybe become a TV commentator at some point.

To me the car and team (including drivers) are the champions.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I did not say EVERY time...but even the largest Max fan can go back and see how many times Max dove into the corners and how many times Lewis did give ground.
Hello; Sort of like road drivers stopping at stop signs most of the time is somehow supposed to excuse the many times they run a red light. Interesting but odd way to look at it.

Here is an unfounded notion which means it has no facts to back it up. A hypothetical sort of notion. The championship is done and dusted and there is a chance that Max will get another record if he wins the most races in a season. During almost all of the other times Lewis left room in the curves when racing other drivers, he (Lewis) had hopes and was being careful so as to stay in the running.
Now he decides to hog the corner and not give room to his hated rival. He has already lost again his next chance to get that 8th championship and the cause of his misery may go on to further accolades. Maybe he takes them both out or only his rival. But as i stated this is only a hypothetical. I cannot know his mind at the moment. I just know he did not leave room at all.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Hello; Sort of like road drivers stopping at stop signs most of the time is somehow supposed to excuse the many times they run a red light. Interesting but odd way to look at it.
So your Lewis hate is noted. Again, I never said EVERY time...sigh.

Here is an unfounded notion which means it has no facts to back it up. A hypothetical sort of notion. The championship is done and dusted and there is a chance that Max will get another record if he wins the most races in a season. During almost all of the other times Lewis left room in the curves when racing other drivers, he (Lewis) had hopes and was being careful so as to stay in the running.
Now he decides to hog the corner and not give room to his hated rival. He has already lost again his next chance to get that 8th championship and the cause of his misery may go on to further accolades. Maybe he takes them both out or only his rival. But as i stated this is only a hypothetical. I cannot know his mind at the moment. I just know he did not leave room at all.
Yet the stewards gave Max the five second penalty. Guess they are in Mercedes pocket too. 😂

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I needed a couple of Advil after watching that. So if I understand this since Max never completed the pass in turn one he was still the challenger going into turn two. Since, per the regulations, he was never alongside Lewis (front wheel to wheel) Lewis didn’t need to give him any additional space. Max came into turn two too hot and couldn’t back out (not that he ever intended to based on his comments). Therefore he caused the collision and was rewarded with the five second penalty. All this happened within fractions of a second. :facepalm:

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I needed a couple of Advil after watching that. So if I understand this since Max never completed the pass in turn one he was still the challenger going into turn two. Since, per the regulations, he was never alongside Lewis (front wheel to wheel) Lewis didn’t need to give him any additional space. Max came into turn two too hot and couldn’t back out (not that he ever intended to based on his comments). Therefore he caused the collision and was rewarded with the five second penalty. All this happened within fractions of a second. :facepalm:
The stewards just agreed with Verstappen's view on a prior identical collision:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
The stewards just agreed with Verstappen's view on a prior identical collision:

Ocon's move was not smart but Max's was even dumber. Why not give a lapped car some space to unlap themselves? Of course the leader doesn't have to do that but not doing so cost him a win. It appears he still hasn't learned.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Red Bull boss Christian Horner calls out Lewis Hamilton after Max Verstappen collision (msn.com)

Hello; I just looked at this link. Content is of interest to be sure but my reason for posting it is a different still photo of the incident between lweis and max.
In this photo max is off the track with two wheels. Lewis is touching the RB and is even closer to the edge of the track with many car widths on his other side.

To the speculation that F1 is in the pocket of Lewis or MB, I cannot say. Best I can figure is the F1 bosses see Lewis much the way the Golf world sees Tiger Woods. Seems the attendance and TV viewership is way up when Tiger is in a tournament, even in the later years.
Lewis is a crowd draw in other words. So as long as he is such a draw they may try to use his celebrity is my guess.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
So your Lewis hate is noted. Again, I never said EVERY time...sigh.

Yet the stewards gave Max the five second penalty. Guess they are in Mercedes pocket too. 😂
Hello; Nice try at a spin. That Lewis has given racing room in parts of races when making a clean pass is of benefit to both racers is the way it is supposed to go. Still does not change the fact he did not give a cars width of track space to a fellow racer. Giving a cars width for the opponent is pretty much the standard during a race.
On top of everything else such a move is pretty dumb. Could have just as easy damaged his own car. Lewis got very lucky in that particular outcome. Lewis is touted as the great driver of our time. A champions champion who drives at the highest levels of skill. Yet he makes such a dumb move and did so with purpose. He did not accidently run into Max at the apex of that curve. He deliberately drove into Max. Backed up by the stewards or not, it was a dumb move.

I get it. He was not about to give an inch to his foe no matter the cost. Applaud him if you will. I do not have an emotional investment in Lewis enough to hate him. Just have seen his antics often enough over the years to not view him thru rose-colored glasses. He happened to be lucky enough to land in superior cars most every year except the last two seasons. His car was neck and neck last year and clearly lacking this year. Not a gracious loser on top of everything else.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Hello; Nice try at a spin. That Lewis has given racing room in parts of races when making a clean pass is of benefit to both racers is the way it is supposed to go. Still does not change the fact he did not give a cars width of track space to a fellow racer. Giving a cars width for the opponent is pretty much the standard during a race.
On top of everything else such a move is pretty dumb. Could have just as easy damaged his own car. Lewis got very lucky in that particular outcome. Lewis is touted as the great driver of our time. A champions champion who drives at the highest levels of skill. Yet he makes such a dumb move and did so with purpose. He did not accidently run into Max at the apex of that curve. He deliberately drove into Max. Backed up by the stewards or not, it was a dumb move.

I get it. He was not about to give an inch to his foe no matter the cost. Applaud him if you will. I do not have an emotional investment in Lewis enough to hate him. Just have seen his antics often enough over the years to not view him thru rose-colored glasses. He happened to be lucky enough to land in superior cars most every year except the last two seasons. His car was neck and neck last year and clearly lacking this year. Not a gracious loser on top of everything else.
It is hard to evaluate what is in a driver's mind in moments like these. Even though these guys are the best in the world, they are still human. All of this happens literally in milliseconds. We and the stewards then have the benefit of slow motion and camera angles. And then we all have to try to determine what was going on and who is to blame. It is a daunting task and really next to impossible.

All that I ask just like in every sport is that the calls are equal all the time. However I think that is next to impossible as well. If it is always called racing incidents with no penalty then it seems unfair to the one that might get the worst of the accident (DNF, pit to repair, etc) and certain drivers would most likely be embolden to say F it especially if they have nothing to lose.

So we have what we have and come on forums to complain and discuss. Nothing will change. 😂
Sponsored