Sponsored

Fore fuel regulator mounting

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
What type of tool did you use to disconnect the factory feed line at the fire wall. Is it a springtype connection like older fuel injected lines and ac lines?
Fuel line removal tool just like your thinking.
Sponsored

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
B54_F1_CCF_4_E96_43_D6_87_AF_6_F5774_B97882.jpg

Step one - test fitting my first hose connection check valve to filter to get a feel for those assembly part. It’s about as simple as simple gets. Love it.

OCD has already kicked in though, I misaligned the logos on the fittings... might cut a new section and do it again lol
Don’t be too crazy about it. You’ll turn it into a 10 day project.

OP
OP
gqneon

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
Lol I hear ya. I’ve only got an hour here and an hour there this weekend but next week I should have a whole day to get things measured, cut and installed. I ran the PITA stuff today to get it over with - all the wiring through the firewall area, and ran a separate conduit for sensor wires for the Hobbs switch and a fuel pressure gauge, and will run one more I guess for my boost gauge and oil pressure gauge next week. Once the little stuffs done it’s just bolt on and check my trims and tuning. I love messing with these cars.

OP
OP
gqneon

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
Thanks for the words. Don’t hesitate to ask any other questions.
So - I've got all the wiring done including my Hobbs switch. I'm about to start running my hoses this evening and hopefully fire it up tomorrow.

I'm going to try mounting my regulator where you mounted yours. Can you take a few more pictures that give a couple direct on and angle shots of where you bolted your regulator to the shock tower for me? I'm heading to Lowes to get some hex cap bolts / washers / nylock nuts for that and my vacuum block and I really only want to drill one set of holes - I think I've got it placed pretty well but drilling twice or three times is something I don't want to have to do. Measure three times, cut once. That whole thing.

This fore hardware is top notch.

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Good job on the progress. I won’t be home till Wednesday and I don’t have my car with me to take some extra pics. Once you cut away the other piece, there will be a welded plate on the strut tower and the bottom of the regulator bracket will test on the top edge of that. If you want to post some pics I can help you identify that if it doesn’t make sense. I’ll look to see if I have any other pics of that though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
gqneon

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
Good job on the progress. I won’t be home till Wednesday and I don’t have my car with me to take some extra pics. Once you cut away the other piece, there will be a welded plate on the strut tower and the bottom of the regulator bracket will test on the top edge of that. If you want to post some pics I can help you identify that if it doesn’t make sense. I’ll look to see if I have any other pics of that though.
Cool man - I'll take a look at it - you're talking about cutting away that black fiber sound deadening material on the shock tower just above the brake line plastic bracket that's pretty much in the way of everything there?

If so I'll take a razor to it and look for that welded on plate that must be underneath. It looks like the regulator is mounted with a slight forward rotation/orientation which makes sense and will also make sure I have plenty of hood clearance (I hope.)

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Cool man - I'll take a look at it - you're talking about cutting away that black fiber sound deadening material on the shock tower just above the brake line plastic bracket that's pretty much in the way of everything there?

If so I'll take a razor to it and look for that welded on plate that must be underneath. It looks like the regulator is mounted with a slight forward rotation/orientation which makes sense and will also make sure I have plenty of hood clearance (I hope.)
I did cut away the insulation but I may add some again just for some sound absorbtion. Still, cutting it away will expose and allow you to mark your drill points for the bracket bolts.
I thought the same thing about clearance but there is more than you think and mine isn’t close to the hood at all.

OP
OP
gqneon

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
Ok here's a couple pictures I took - I think I see what's different - my car has some sort of bracket welded to it which I think may have been where the stock sound tube or something clipped - I dont remember exactly - it sticks out where your regulator is.

I cut away some of the fiber and was test fitting it as best I could - did your car not have the little bracket at the top of the shock tower like mine ?

I just saw your post is loaded with some more pictures let me look at them on my PC so I can see better!

D0693_EAB_9_FF2_42_FB_B584_C5_DB56_CD1479.jpg

8_DECB749_AE35_4_C65_A50_A_593_C38_F26_C85.jpg

3_A8408_E2_AA0_F_4_A59_A956_75_C77_D24_CB58.jpg

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Yes, that is the piece that needs to be cut off and your just trying to make a flat area. You have a wire harness zip tied to it so you’ll have to relocate that.

Sponsored
OP
OP
gqneon

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
Yes, that is the piece that needs to be cut off and your just trying to make a flat area. You have a wire harness zip tied to it so you’ll have to relocate that.
Damn it.... it's always something like this that derails the whole project... not sure my skill level will be up to removing that. Guess I'll be pulling the blower and going back to stock now lol....

I think I'll wait till the morning - neighbors get PISSED when I fire up air tools in the middle of the night around here. Whizz wheel here I come!

Thanks for the help again - this project is fun but I'm glad you had the time to post so many helpful photos and tips. It made things a ton easier overall.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
It’s only 7:45 in Texas right now. It will take less than a minute to get that off. Get it done.

OP
OP
gqneon

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
I took my time when I had a few hours here and there and got it all buttoned up yesterday. Primed it a few times and got the fuel pressure to 55 and hooked up my boost reference and fired it up. It’s definitely a high quality system and it’s actually quieter than the stock pump especially with a voltage booster on the stock pump. No leaks, no issues, it just worked. I definitely made the right choice. The first time I drove it to datalog a little, I could smell fuel right away and thought the worst but then realized I hadn’t ever purged the fuel out of the original fuel line I disconnected. So I blew the fuel out of it and it’s since dissipated. I’ll probably do a WOT hit today and get my logs done, but it’s definitely a lot more consistent and has a lot of room to grow if I need it. No more guesswork on fuel systems.

Thanks for all your help!

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Good job. How about a few pics of some of the highlights. Now get that logging done and enjoy the benefits which are extremely noticeable.
Sponsored