Sponsored

FordPass Modem Reset?

mandopatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP1
2018 Mustang GT Premium. Bought the car used and been trying to connect via the FordPass app, but getting stuck on activation pending. It would appear the previous owner did not remove it from their FordPass before selling.

Tried doing a master reset, both by myself and with FordPass customer support. Neither time works and they say I need to take my vehicle to the dealer to do a ā€œmodem resetā€ which is more in-depth than a master reset.

Only problem is my local dealer wants to charge me $150 since itā€™s not a warranty repair. I called FordPass back and they said tough luck, pay it or donā€™t use it. Seems pretty ridiculous that I have to pay for a service that Ford itself lists as a free benefit just because Ford has terribly designed options.

Is there any way to do this myself or to get FordPass/dealer to cover the cost? Thanks in advance for the help.
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your only shot at getting that done free of charge is if the selling dealer was a Ford dealer; they should have done that, or made sure it was removed by previous owner. Otherwise, you're probably out of luck. Your last chance is FORScan; ask on the sticky to see if it's possible to do that. Good luck.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
No idea what a modem reset would do that the master reset isn't doing. Sounds like the app is just bugging out on you, it did that for my car when I first got it. It would just sit on pending forever. Try deleting and reinstalling the app, I had to do that a few times before it finally worked.

Another thing that may help is driving to a different area and doing a master reset and app delete/reinstall. The car's modem uses AT&T and if your area has poor reception on that network the request will never make it to the car.

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Last edited:
OP
OP
mandopatriot

mandopatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure about this but it is possible that an APIM reset followed by a master reset could work.

https://www.f150forum.com/attachmen...rds-now-available-reset-sync-module-apim-.pdf

By the way are still under the factory warranty? Sync should be covered under it.
Thanks! Any idea what the FCIM power and seek up buttons are? And yes, still under factory warranty but the dealer near me is saying I have to pay since it's not a "warranty" issue. Honestly this dealer just sucks, Webb Ford in Indiana.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
mandopatriot

mandopatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Bikeman315 Sadly didn't work. Did the reboot, did a master reset, deleted the app, removed the vehicle from the app, and it still shows it as already activated. I'm going to try and call a different dealer in my area, hopefully one of them will do this work covered under warranty.

OP
OP
mandopatriot

mandopatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well looks like the previous owner finally added... Got a message that I was approved by VICTOR. Yea so that means the previous owner still has access to the car controls and data. And with GPS, can track exactly where it's at. This is a huge security risk so I will be calling FordPass back and seeing what can be done. I just can't believe that there is no way for Ford to remove access on the back-end, if they can't then wow.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Well looks like the previous owner finally added... Got a message that I was approved by VICTOR. Yea so that means the previous owner still has access to the car controls and data. And with GPS, can track exactly where it's at. This is a huge security risk so I will be calling FordPass back and seeing what can be done. I just can't believe that there is no way for Ford to remove access on the back-end, if they can't then wow.
Wow, thatā€™s something. Ford should be able to reset on their side. If they say they canā€˜t go back to the dealer. Speak to the owner/general manager. Tell them either fix it or youā€™re going straight to the local TV station.

Sponsored

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Thats something that Ford should be on top off. My mom bought a used Lexus and I was unable to register it on the app but when I called they told me to hit the sos button and the agent will be able to reset it once we confirm some information. I asked them if the old owner could see where the car was they said no because they reset it and add the dealer as the new owner and then its changed to the new owner once its bought

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
I upgraded from the 4" to 8" head unit and had the same issue. The car was in a junk yard, and couldn't contact the previous owner to ask him to remove it. I disconnected the battery for an hour and was able to register it after that. Hope it helps.. Good luck.
Sponsored