Sponsored

Telematics modem, FordPass, etc- how do I know if my car has it?

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
I just bought a 2019 GT (not premium) with 301A and nav. How do I know if it has the telematics modem and if so, how do I use it? I should mention, my car is a Canadian car that appears to have had a conversion done to meet US DOT regulations.

Do all 2019 mustangs have this equipment, or just certain packages?
Sponsored

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
I just bought a 2019 GT (not premium) with 301A and nav. How do I know if it has the telematics modem and if so, how do I use it? I should mention, my car is a Canadian car that appears to have had a conversion done to meet US DOT regulations.

Do all 2019 mustangs have this equipment, or just certain packages?
I think only Premiums only have this feature. If you dont see the FordPass app on your sync 3 then you dont have it

Screenshot_20210218-203104_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

20200620_085316.jpg

20200620_084957.jpg

20200620_085323.jpg

20200620_085010.jpg

20200620_085319.jpg

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Or if you are messing around in the trunk - mine is on the left hand side of the rear panel :

D89-A0-CFF-BD27-4140-A0-F3-4-C7-DCD50-B6-B4.jpg

WD :like:

OP
OP
Mike Pfeifer

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm guessing that my car doesn't have the TCU like in that picture. I do have a FordPass App on my sync screen but not the FordPass Connect App. It is also not on my window sticker. Thats OK, just getting to know my car and all the features. I have not owned a Ford since my 05 Focus, and I come from the BMW world (21+ year master tech / shop foreman) so I haven't kept up with what everyone else was doing in this area. Just didn't want to leave a feature unused if it is available.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm guessing that my car doesn't have the TCU like in that picture. I do have a FordPass App on my sync screen but not the FordPass Connect App. It is also not on my window sticker. Thats OK, just getting to know my car and all the features. I have not owned a Ford since my 05 Focus, and I come from the BMW world (21+ year master tech / shop foreman) so I haven't kept up with what everyone else was doing in this area. Just didn't want to leave a feature unused if it is available.
You are correct. As you noted there is a difference between FordPass, the app and Fordpass Connect. In 2019 the only cars with the modem for FordPass Connect were the 201A/401A models.

Sponsored

Laserbrain

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2
Vehicle Showcase
Or if you are messing around in the trunk - mine is on the left hand side of the rear panel :

D89-A0-CFF-BD27-4140-A0-F3-4-C7-DCD50-B6-B4.jpg
Is it the green thing? Or is it the big gray sheet metal (?) thing?
I could use point of reference to get myself oriented, please.
The rear of the car is to the left in this photo, and the front is to the right?here

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Is it the green thing? Or is it the big gray sheet metal (?) thing?
I could use point of reference to get myself oriented, please.
The rear of the car is to the left in this photo, and the front is to the right?here
Yeah you have that photo correct. It’s taken with the phone in the trunk looking back towards the rear left light.

That multi plug with the two tie wraps is the plug for the rear left light that I secured there after adding tail light sequencers (the reason for the photo).

The grey unit is almost mounted on the back of the tail light. If you rotated the photo 45 deg counter clockwise it would put it close to correct orientation.

I believe it is the grey box, it had coax running too it for the aerial and from memory, it had a decal on it with its IMEI number.

Hope that helps ?

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Yeah you have that photo correct. It’s taken with the phone in the trunk looking back towards the rear left light.

That multi plug with the two tie wraps is the plug for the rear left light that I secured there after adding tail light sequencers (the reason for the photo).

The grey unit is almost mounted on the back of the tail light. If you rotated the photo 45 deg counter clockwise it would put it close to correct orientation.

I believe it is the grey box, it had coax running too it for the aerial and from memory, it had a decal on it with its IMEI number.

Hope that helps ?

Is there a sim card there?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a sim card there?
I didn't remove the unit or open it up to check sorry (I've since pulled its fuse).

I understand from reading on here that the sim is non removable so I assume that means it's built into one of the boards rather than being a separate item like in a phone :like:

drpaul41

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang EB Premium
@WD Pro Is the green device the PITA antenna? Is there a coax running from it to the TCU module and connected to the white port on it?
Thanks
Paul

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I honestly don’t know sorry - I didn’t look too closely as I was only in that area to fit the sequencers (that’s why the grey connector block is secured with cable ties) :like:

drpaul41

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
I am going to try and add the TCU modem to my 16 Mustang. It should be able to be added the same way I added it to my 17 F150. Boosted GreyGoose Designs can build a harness that connects to the diagnostics port not the OBDII connector. They make a splitter too. Or one could look up the specs for the connectors and build the harness themselves. Just get a TCU 17 or later but probably not later than 19 as it appears the 2020s run on HS4Can system. The wire for the PITA antenna and mount them. Then use forscan to make the appropriate changes and it should work. The F150 Forum thread is an excellent place to look for information how to do this. I know most are disabling but I want the features it offers.

drpaul41

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Well I have procured the TCU and I know what plugs are needed to make the wiring harness. I also bought a 2016 Mustang Wiring diagram manual. This will be a helpful resource for many things!

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
I know one thing, my oil life reading stopped in January, Ive been on 91% since lol.... Tire pressure and mileage update properly though.
Sponsored