Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Different topic maybe - but am I the only one wondering how a Ford Fusion has a 2.7 Lit v6 echoboost and the mustang only a 2.3L turboed 4 banger? Feels like the Mustang got gypped.
Simple. The primary reason is that the 4-cylinder is needed to have a sub-2.5L engine for the global market (tax purposes), and the 2.7 Twin Turbo is too close to the power the 2.3L 4 cylinder for it to be a viable third option (the 3.7L NA V6 was never originally planned for the S550, anyways).
Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Simple. The primary reason is that the 4-cylinder is needed to have a sub-2.5L engine for the global market (tax purposes), and the 2.7 Twin Turbo is too close to the power the 2.3L 4 cylinder for it to be a viable third option (the 3.7L NA V6 was never originally planned for the S550, anyways).
I don't think that is an accurate account of the reasoning. True cars are taxed by displacement outside of the US, but I don't think that was the reason for 2.3 vs the 2.7 and the difference in tax would probably be minimal. If the mustang had a 2.7 it would be as fast as the 5.0 and handle better due to the front weight difference. Just my opinion based on very little factual data.

BOOSTED-SVO

In My Own Lane
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP SB M6
Different topic maybe - but am I the only one wondering how a Ford Fusion has a 2.7 Lit v6 echoboost and the mustang only a 2.3L turboed 4 banger? Feels like the Mustang got gypped.
Yea I was actually just thinking about this the other day. That 2.7 turbo with AWD is going to be a bad arse especially once tuned and modded. Only if it wasn't so darn ugly.

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Yea I was actually just thinking about this the other day. That 2.7 turbo with AWD is going to be a bad arse especially once tuned and modded. Only if it wasn't so darn ugly.
Agreed. Though a AWD sports car in northern states would be awesome, it would not be for a Mustang. The Fusion is not a sports car, yet they are putting a bigger power plant in than the Stang which makes absolutely no sense to me. Who are they trying to appeal to with a Ford Fusion Sport?

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
I don't think that is an accurate account of the reasoning. True cars are taxed by displacement outside of the US, but I don't think that was the reason for 2.3 vs the 2.7 and the difference in tax would probably be minimal. If the mustang had a 2.7 it would be as fast as the 5.0 and handle better due to the front weight difference. Just my opinion based on very little factual data.

According to the stats, 325 HP and 380 LB-Ft of Torque provided by the 2.7L V6 could be achieved on the stang with a tune. Even with a Cobb 1 stage tune or more could bring it up to that speed and I imagine a GT still beating up a Echo-boost without a problem. Makes me wonder now if the 2.4 L Echo-boost is maxed out around 310-320 and tuners are only damaging the car. Why would ford engineers think the only way to achieve 380 LBFT of torque reliably was to provide more displacement and 2 cylinders?

Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
According to the stats, 325 HP and 380 LB-Ft of Torque provided by the 2.7L V6 could be achieved on the stang with a tune. Even with a Cobb 1 stage tune or more could bring it up to that speed and I imagine a GT still beating up a Echo-boost without a problem. Makes me wonder now if the 2.4 L Echo-boost is maxed out around 310-320 and tuners are only damaging the car. Why would ford engineers think the only way to achieve 380 LBFT of torque reliably was to provide more displacement and 2 cylinders?
The Focus RS 2.3 is as fast as a 5.0 without any mods so I am not following your logic. Ford could tweak the 2.7 into a monster that would blow the doors off the 5.0.

TurboMetal

Deadlift or Die.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150 5.0
I think I may be replacing my mustang with the fusion sport next year. It has what I wanted that my 2013 fusion SE lacked (awd and quite a bit more power). Would like a stick but oh well. Would be great for driving all year round. Plus I wouldn't mind being invisible on the road again. With a tune and IC, the Fusion Sport will be a sleeper.

The reason the mustang got the 4-banger probably has to do with marketing and price internationally and domestically in its respective segments. Also probably has to do with future engine line ups. I'm sure a v6 turbo is on it's way to be placed between the I4-T and V8.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Agreed. Though a AWD sports car in northern states would be awesome, it would not be for a Mustang. The Fusion is not a sports car, yet they are putting a bigger power plant in than the Stang which makes absolutely no sense to me. Who are they trying to appeal to with a Ford Fusion Sport?
How do you figure they are putting a bigger power plant in the Fusion than a Mustang? Last time I checked you could get your Mustang with a 5.0 or a 5.2 v8.

The Fusion Sport will appeal to anyone that wants a quick and good handling car with a back seat. It will steal sales from the Taurus SHO and Charger R/T.

I find it interesting the amount of bitching over the Fusion Sport and never a whisper over the fact that the Taurus SHO has a twin turbo 3.5 v6.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Ford Edge sport also gets the 2.7 twin Turbo.

Last edited:

Wblv17

older fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.7HEMI Ram and 2015 eco boost race red pp
The Ford Edge also has the 2.7 twin Turbo.
and now their is a 3.0 eco V6 that is 400 hp and 400 TQ in the new lincoin made at flat rock. I want:headbang:

Sponsored

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
To be honest the Fusion Sport sounds like a good buy on a paper.. 2.7 TT V6 + AWD?.. and it's supposed to be 35k-ish? That's not bad at all..

However, being that the new 3.5 TT V6 in the F150 is getting dual fuel systems, will the Fusion Sport still be DI only?.. Imagine if it is a 2.7 TT with dual fuel.. an IC and tune and that thing could be a monster.. if it doesn't blow up. :D

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
To be honest the Fusion Sport sounds like a good buy on a paper.. 2.7 TT V6 + AWD?.. and it's supposed to be 35k-ish? That's not bad at all..

However, being that the new 3.5 TT V6 in the F150 is getting dual fuel systems, will the Fusion Sport still be DI only?.. Imagine if it is a 2.7 TT with dual fuel.. an IC and tune and that thing could be a monster.. if it doesn't blow up. :D
The new Fusion Sport should be a monster, if looking at the motor in the F-series trucks is of any indication of performance.

I don't think the 2.7EB in the Fusion Sport is the Gen 2 EB, like found in the new Ford GT and Raptor. I'm sure it will trickle down over time, but I'd say that'll be a few more years down the road.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Back t o the OP, all ecoboosts have had an intercooler. My 13 Focus ST had a puny factory IC and I was pushing 345 HP with a tune and plugs and a Levels FMIC.. I Will be getting a minimum of 350 with a stage 1 93 tune on my 17 turbo stang.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Back t o the OP, all ecoboosts have had an intercooler. My 13 Focus ST had a puny factory IC and I was pushing 345 HP with a tune and plugs and a Levels FMIC.. I Will be getting a minimum of 350 with a stage 1 93 tune on my 17 turbo stang.
350 whp on 93? Are you planning meth?