Sponsored

Ford software/module updates or flashes - discussion

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I didn’t know what forum would be best suited for this question, but this sub-forum gets the most hits...

So when a PC or MAC device (phone, tablet or computer) or any other big electronics manufacturer has software updates for their products (ie: TV’s), they push out or release an update to the users. The users then elect to update their products based on the software or firmware update so that the product has the most current version.

With modern vehicles today - how come we owners can’t get the same “push” to our vehicles for getting the most current module updates?

To avoid confusion about the topic, I’m not referring to “SYNC” updates.

I’m referring to the actual updates for the vehicle modules for the BCM, Auto Trans logic, PCM, etc? These would be the updates that a Ford Service Center would do when the customer has a drivability concern and the concern is remedied due to a specific module needing an update because there was an internal revision by Ford.

Also, since we bought the Ford product and regardless of warranty limits, shouldn’t we (the customer) be privy to such updates and “free” at that, which affect drivability or even safety aspects of our vehicles due to internal software or firmware revisions?

I mean, to put it simply - isn’t our modern day S550 just like any other electronic driven “device” that should be updated when software or firmware revisions are applicable and available - without having to take time to go into a Ford Service Center?

Anyone?

Is there a way to do such module updates by Forscan? Again, not referring to the known Forscan techniques of turning on or off certain As Built codes.
Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
From what I have gathered talking to the service managers it requires proprietary software that only the dealerships are allowed access to.

And things can and do go wrong with these updates so I guess they would rather the car be at the dealership if this happens.