Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I think more Americans probably watch NASCAR, but I have no idea. I don't watch either F1 or NASCAR.

I just know that Ford is already in NASCAR, so I didn't think I was talking about an increase in their marketing spend.
COTA F1 race had like 400k people there. I don't think anyone (not literally) actually watches Nascar compared to F1 who peaked in popularity in US thanks to Netflix, RB-Merc drama was best thing that could happen to it.

Only missing thing is US team or driver that is remotely competitive but that isn't happening...
Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Viewers for F1 in the US is no where near what Nascar is. It is what it is. Haas is a US team, the old Williams team is owned by a US venture as well. What really helps F1 here is the televised coverage is commercial free on race day. Cota’s numbers for last year were really good for the three days. We’ll see if they don’t screw it up by jacking everything through the roof. Miami and Vegas for sure are looking like that will be the case.

COTA F1 race had like 400k people there. I don't think anyone (not literally) actually watches Nascar compared to F1 who peaked in popularity in US thanks to Netflix, RB-Merc drama was best thing that could happen to it.

Only missing thing is US team or driver that is remotely competitive but that isn't happening...

OP
OP
AZlb5.0

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
Viewers for F1 in the US is no where near what Nascar is. It is what it is. Haas is a US team, the old Williams team is owned by a US venture as well. What really helps F1 here is the televised coverage is commercial free on race day. Cota’s numbers for last year were really good for the three days. We’ll see if they don’t screw it up by jacking everything through the roof. Miami and Vegas for sure are looking like that will be the case.
And you’re absolutely correct. NASCAR averages about 1 million more viewers than F1(3.7-2.6 million)respectively.
Will F1 ever reach the popularity of NASCAR here in the US? Who knows time will tell. I also agree with your premise of cost. Miami and Vegas are hot spots for people with “a lot” of money. I don’t foresee F1 being affordable (what ever that means in F1)in those cities for the average Joe. F1 left a really bad taste in American mouths in 05 and it has taken a lot for F1 to make its way back here in the US.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
And you’re absolutely correct. NASCAR averages about 1 million more viewers than F1(3.7-2.6 million)respectively.
Not something I expected (and obviously - haven't checked), I'm surprised so many people actually watch Nascar. Globally though, there isn't even a comparison.

To be fair - some of F1 races are at unwatchable times (like the one in Vegas will be ironically) and are not shown in OTA TV channels.

OP
OP
AZlb5.0

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
Not something I expected (and obviously - haven't checked), I'm surprised so many people actually watch Nascar. Globally though, there isn't even a comparison.

To be fair - some of F1 races are at unwatchable times (like the one in Vegas will be ironically) and are not shown in OTA TV channels.
Globally F1 out performs NASCAR that’s to be expected. F1 is a world wide racing league, that travels from country to country and continent to continent. Not only do you have home teams, like Mercedes for Germany and Red-bull for England, but then you have drivers who are popular in two countries like Carlos Sainz Jr. who race for Ferrari and originates from Spain.
Would NASCAR be successful if it tried a wider reach out? Who knows, I like their road corse races, but they don’t do enough of them for me personally.
Like I said this venture will have a much wider reach world wide for Ford. Too bad it won’t be as deep as their venture with Cosworth in F1 was.

Reactions: kz

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I just don't like the rules in modern racing. I remember when the GT350 was in some Continental tire sponsored race series. It was too fast and they kept putting more and more restriction on the engine until the GT350 couldn't compete very well anymore. That sucks as a car fan. I want the car with the best factory engine potential to be allowed to win.

LeMans is the same way, with Ferrari complaining that the GT had too much power (which was against the rules). The race car made by far less power than the road going version. Rules that say a "race car" is only allowed a certain amount of power are lame. The way racing should work is the best car with the best engine wins. Sucks if your brand only makes small engines - you should lose every race.

OP
OP
AZlb5.0

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
I just don't like the rules in modern racing. I remember when the GT350 was in some Continental tire sponsored race series. It was too fast and they kept putting more and more restriction on the engine until the GT350 couldn't compete very well anymore. That sucks as a car fan. I want the car with the best factory engine potential to be allowed to win.

LeMans is the same way, with Ferrari complaining that the GT had too much power (which was against the rules). Rules that say a "race car" is only allowed a certain amount of power are lame. The way racing should work is the best car with the best engine wins. Sucks if your brand only makes small engines - you should lose every race.
Do you remember the old IROC racing series? That went by the waste side because interest dwindled. Why? Because the reasons you stated. All cars where specked the same and it was just boring.
I agree 100% that the best teams with the best cars should not be strong armed into becoming “slow.”The other teams who can’t compete either need to step their game up or allow for other teams to come in and compete.
I also think, that European racing manufacturers/series, don’t want American manufacturers beating their cars, on their home turf. That’s just embarrassing to them.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I like Ford racing & wish Dodge would also get back in the game. Could actually make NASCAR a race worth watching.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
With how Redbull looks, from a marketing stand point, Ford couldn’t of picked a better outfit to hitch the wagon to.

I like Ford racing & wish Dodge would also get back in the game. Could actually make NASCAR a race worth watching.
Sponsored