Sponsored

Ford Racing tuner possibly in July.

jholtz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I think the real question is for those that have waited to buy a tune so they could have a factory warranty, will the 5/60 turn into a 3/36 and will the warranty only apply to the tune and not the power train? My EB came with a lifetime power train warranty good at any Ford dealer. My question is, how will a Ford Racing tune impact that warranty? :shrug:

Jim

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I think the real question is for those that have waited to buy a tune so they could have a factory warranty, will the 5/60 turn into a 3/36 and will the warranty only apply to the tune and not the power train? My EB came with a lifetime power train warranty good at any Ford dealer. My question is, how will a Ford Racing tune impact that warranty? :shrug:

Jim
The fine print of your warranty should tell you. The lifetime warrarties I've seen all said the vehicle can't be modified.

dabsevo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Black
I'm really damn curious how much you can push this car on stock internals

Sponsored

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
Sorry if I missed it (I miss a lot of schitt) but where was it said that this tune would not include any associated performance hardware?
I would almost bet that this is a performance package deal with the "tune" being required after the hardware upgrades are installed, and also the reason for more than a 10-15hp increase.

Nihil

Cowabunga
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Grey Goop

wildsailor

This Club for me?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I think that the contents of the 'update' are indeed the big question. The Focus RS, after being massaged by SVT, is coming out with "315+ HP and 320+ lb-ft of torque." However, what those "+'s" are is the big question and I have a sneaking suspicion that the FR tune is working in parallel with the RS development.

The RS is getting the next larger turbo from the Mustang and a larger capacity intercooler. If the Mustang were to get those bits as well as an upgrade package then the tune can be unleashed a bit more as seen from the aftermarket development community. I will not begin to speculate on a set of numbers but I will advise that anyone interested most definitely follow what is going on with the 2016 Focus RS as that is the 4-door AWD version of the Ecoboost Mustang!

Nihil

Cowabunga
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Grey Goop
I think that the contents of the 'update' are indeed the big question. The Focus RS, after being massaged by SVT, is coming out with "315+ HP and 320+ lb-ft of torque." However, what those "+'s" are is the big question and I have a sneaking suspicion that the FR tune is working in parallel with the RS development.

The RS is getting the next larger turbo from the Mustang and a larger capacity intercooler. If the Mustang were to get those bits as well as an upgrade package then the tune can be unleashed a bit more as seen from the aftermarket development community. I will not begin to speculate on a set of numbers but I will advise that anyone interested most definitely follow what is going on with the 2016 Focus RS as that is the 4-door AWD version of the Ecoboost Mustang!
I am surprised they even put a bigger turbo on the 2.3 for the RS, they could have tuned just a bit to achieve numbers if that's just what they are looking for. The engine bay on the focus cant leave much room to work with. I doubt the turbo is too much bigger but probably allows them to not fall of power after 5k rpm like the mustang(they should have just given us that turbo to then!) I wouldn't waste any money tho on the ford turbo upgrade if its just a little bit bigger than the current gt22, I would just wait to see aftermarket kits. unless the ford turbo upgrade keeps the warranty :D

LeonBorden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2JZ Formula D Pro AM Cressida, 2015 EB PP
Considering the Focus RS will have a base price of roughly 10 grand higher than the EB mustang, it would be no surprise if the mustang didn't get the same upgraded software and turbo as the RS.

Sponsored

wildsailor

This Club for me?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
* Snip

...probably allows them to not fall of power after 5k rpm like the mustang(they should have just given us that turbo to then!) ...

* Snip
That is exactly what I am thinking. The fall off with the Torque curve at 5500 RPM is the turbo not keeping up. A little larger CFM and that will float the torque curve higher before falling off. The larger intercooler would allow higher boost pressures as well without an Intake Air Temperature issue.

arghx7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50 years Ecoboost
The limiting factor is most likely the turbine housing A/R at high speed causing higher backpressure. When you increase the turbine housing A/R you reduce the boost response and available boost at low rpms.

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
I'm really damn curious how much you can push this car on stock internals
I don't see it being a whole lot different than the 11-14 motor where the pistons were the weak link. The updates to the 15' motor are awesome but the pistons still aren't forged...

EDIT:

Never mind, I thought I was posting on a GT thread :headbonk:

MustangEco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KA24DE-R 240sx
I don't see it being a whole lot different than the 11-14 motor where the pistons were the weak link. The updates to the 15' motor are awesome but the pistons still aren't forged...

EDIT:

Never mind, I thought I was posting on a GT thread :headbonk:
I was going to say, I read that the pistons, rods, and crank were all forged.

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I was going to say, I read that the pistons, rods, and crank were all forged.
I don't believe the pistons are forged. Also, being forged doesn't make the parts strong. The rods are thin regardless.
Sponsored