Ford Power Pack vs. Other Tunes

MustangPapi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Starting to get serious about modding the 16 Mustang GT Premium. So these things have been out awhile now, whats the best way to fix the Auto Mustang for quicker shifts and more power, it feels pretty lazy to me at this time. I always see posts on "firmer" or "more responsive" shifts, but what does this really mean?

Looking at the Power Pack 2, Lund, and Livernois Motorsports Tunes since these seem to be the most popular and most spoken about. And yes, I see the current threads but there doesn't seem to be comparison or favorite, surely we should know by now?

So tell me! Thanks guys.
Sponsored

Zimm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6
I'm a manual but for what it's worth I went with a Livernois e85 tune 2 days ago and I'm extremely happy. Great customer service, easy install, and the power increase is definitely noticeable. Plus the free tunes for any new mods was what sold me on them.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Also extremely happy with Livernois. All the good tuners will not only get you a pretty noticeable power bump, but will also firm up and quicken the shifts, particularly in sport mode.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
No idea what the consensus is. Lund Flex Fuel tune turned my Auto into a totally different animal. Traction becomes a problem. The shifting is very fast and more precise. I never drive in D mode anymore. Now I feel like I have the HP this car is supposed to have.

OP
OP

MustangPapi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
No idea what the consensus is. Lund Flex Fuel tune turned my Auto into a totally different animal. Traction becomes a problem. The shifting is very fast and more precise. I never drive in D mode anymore. Now I feel like I have the HP this car is supposed to have.
So the tune does affect all driving modes? Is the redline higher? Also does D mode stay the same, my biggest issue with Sport Mode is stop light to stop light it kind of lurches the car forward and back.

And yes, as of right now driving in D mode it feels lazy and not like a 435hp car that's for sure. Thanks for your input!

Sponsored

rsmustangjr16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium Performance Pack
I have the PP2 on my car and I think it's great, now that I have the new tune. The old tune was good too but, there was room for improvement. I have not had any other tunes.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
So the tune does affect all driving modes? Is the redline higher? Also does D mode stay the same, my biggest issue with Sport Mode is stop light to stop light it kind of lurches the car forward and back.

And yes, as of right now driving in D mode it feels lazy and not like a 435hp car that's for sure. Thanks for your input!
I don't have drive modes per say like in the premium. But essentially yes. In D mode it holds revs longer than stock, and it will sometimes shift earlier if you let off. And shifts are firmer. In Sport Mode the throttle response is more aggressive than it is stock and removes that apparent lag. Shifts are crazy hard when you want em to be. WOT 1-2 shift is crazy. If you shift at high RPM and stay in it, you better have TC and Advancetrac off and hold on because you're gonna break loose and it will chirp the tires into 3rd as well. It'll chirp even at like half throttle. With all the nannies on, it will cut engine power if you go WOT. It pretty much will break traction, which will cause the TC and Advancetrac to try and stop you.

Yes redline is increased. Idk what my redline is but it's over 7000 bc I've taken it past many times.

It's definitely less lurch-ey than stock tune. I usually coast in 3rd as I get to stoplights. They can probably dial it even better if I asked them too and I just may. Much smoother acceleration- it just goes rather than it bogging...then go. If I stab it a little bit I'll squeal rubber a little bit. Now I can actually peel out and control it. The throttle response has way more control and not an ON OFF switch. Feels very linear even though sport mode is aggressive. It's touchy but not overly aggressive. Cruising in 3rd or 4th is very smooth and I can accelerate/pass at will. In my stock car I was disappointed at how I couldn't pass people easily because the throttle was so lazy at speed, even in 2nd gear! So really disappointing to have a 435Hp V8 and unable to pass a Honda Accord in highway traffic LOL. It was like without building momentum I felt less comfortable passing.

And the E85 is worth it. More torque all around and partial throttle it's noticeable especially. And up top it's crazy. And not losing much using regular 93 octane. I use both or mix em. If it's a long trip I may use more gasoline for better MPG. I can get 19-20 MPG on the highway with E85 and probably 25-26 with 93.

Basically for me the stock tune- it wasn't good until 4000 RPM and up, and then it pulled very nice. But just underwhelming at times. With this Lund FF, I feel
More torque down low and after 3000 RPM it really kicks in and pulls way harder midrange through the top. In 1st gear WOT - you better shift fast because 7000 RPMs is coming soon.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
I am not sure how much you can pick up with a livernous or lund tune but I can tell you the pp2 gave me 5 mph and .5 sec off in the 1/4 mile. That's comparing two runs with the same 60 ft and similar weather. I'm still waiting to get my revised tune to get rid of the Rev hang. The power from the pp2 tune feels really strong from idle all the way past 7k. Here's my best run of the night, the best part was the other car in the right lane was a zl1 camaro! 5.slow FTW!:first:
20170609_190700_resized-2.jpg

5PointSlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150
Livernois seriously improved the throttle response and power band of my Mustang with their v10 Sport 93 tune

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT

Sponsored

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I think he wants to know in terms of gains or power how to they stack up with each other.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
You will get bigger gains out of Livernois, Lund than the Ford PP tune with similar hardware (CAI). The advantage of the PP's is a 3 year warranty and meets emissions.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
You will get bigger gains out of Livernois, Lund than the Ford PP tune with similar hardware (CAI). The advantage of the PP's is a 3 year warranty and meets emissions.
Will you? I got track tested results showing pp2 tune adding all but a full 5 mph and -.5 sec in the quarter mile. I would like to see some other tunes results. If anything the air/temp on stock tune were slightly better.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Not to mention with custom tunes you have the ability to datalog and have the tuner make changes for you to dial it in better. Not every car will react the same and with the Ford PP tune you get what they give you. And if you want to add more engine mods later you're not going to get a revised tune from Ford like you can with aftermarket tuners.

5PointSlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150
Livernois' website shows peak gains of about 45 hp and 40 lb/ft of torque with just a tune
Ford PP2 looks like about 25 hp and 25 lb/ft of torque
IDK Lund's numbers
Sponsored