Sponsored

Ford Performance GT350 CAI for the EBM

TEXAS HEAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10
No u are correct, it only works with the GT grill, ty for saying. So how do u like the setup?
Honestly, I can't really tell a difference with the Ram air piece versus non because everything was changed at the same time as the intercooler swap and I'm still going through the tuning process. I did notice that my inlet air temps were only 2-3 degrees above ambient versus 4-5 over with the stock grills.

That being said I have personally made home-made closed ram air systems in the past (crude compared to the Velosser) but same concept and it was consistently good for a tenth to two-tenths and 1 more mph in the 1/4 mile.

In my mind, as simple as it may be sometimes, thinks that this is the most optimum set-up. Not the cheapest by any means. :D
Sponsored

TEXAS HEAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10
I wouldn't even worry about the Airaid tube on the stock box. The factory tube has a real nice, smooth, and linear taper to the stock turbo inlet size. I'd go with the Airaid on a larger stock location turbo like the Vargas or Cavalli.
I like the factory inlet tubes gradual radius reduction because it promotes good air velocity. (think venturi) however, I just couldn't get past the accordion bellows and how counter-conducive it is to smooth airflow. I wish I could've found one that properly radius' down towards the entry of the turbo versus the immediate step-down from 3.5" to 2"

I personally think a 3.5" tube will show it's merit when you start pushing the factory turbo.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
On the FRPP site it says:

• Includes GT350 open element airbox with proprietary inlet housing
  • Uses production air hose from inlet to turbocharger making for a quick and easy installation.

BoostedCanadianPoney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Antoine
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard EB PP base
Can someone explain to me the real benefit of this intake since it uses the factory intake tube? to my understanding the factory intake tube is restrictive not the air box. I am just trying to understand are there really noticeable differences between this and a drop in air filter? stock tune

OP
OP
Juben

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Can someone explain to me the real benefit of this intake since it uses the factory intake tube? to my understanding the factory intake tube is restrictive not the air box. I am just trying to understand are there really noticeable differences between this and a drop in air filter? stock tune
The factory intake tube isn't restrictive, in my opinion. It has the accordion piece where it connects to the factory airbox, but I don't think that's going to affect anything in a measurable way.

Sponsored

FalconRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang EB
First post.
Just my 2c

This new filter should have a more surface area than the stock filter which will be able to provide the same filtration as stock but permit higher airflow cfm. The pro cal will update the map for increased airflow parameters otherwise the computer will compensate.

As for the flex tube, the filter and box are mounted to the chassis and the intake is mounted to the turbo and therefore the engine. That flex tubing reduces the load on the connection to the turbo. Don't want your intake to wiggle off.

Last edited:

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
I like the look of this.. I've been wanting an OEM style CAI that I don't have to remove everytime I get my car serviced at the dealer Lol.. (have MMR CAI).

But.. if it's using the factory tubing, then I guess there will be no awesome turbo wooshing/blow off sounds.. that's a bummer.

I'd really like to hear what it sounds like.. that's the only reason I have the MMR CAI.

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
I like the look of this.. I've been wanting an OEM style CAI that I don't have to remove everytime I get my car serviced at the dealer Lol.. (have MMR CAI).

But.. if it's using the factory tubing, then I guess there will be no awesome turbo wooshing/blow off sounds.. that's a bummer.

I'd really like to hear what it sounds like.. that's the only reason I have the MMR CAI.
U would still have to remove it unless you bought the warranty from ford performance, it's no different than any other after market CAI in that regards

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What I meant was, this is a closed system.. the MMR CAI which I have not only moves the filter to a different location but it's wide open.. and it's a much larger diameter metal tube instead of plastic with somewhat questionable quality Lol.

I sincerely doubt any dealer would give you trouble over a closed CAI, using the factory tube and filter/box by Ford Performance.

OP
OP
Juben

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I agree. I don't think any dealer would give you a hard time over Ford's own performance parts. Lol

Also, you'd be surprised. I have the stock airbox and intake tube with a Green filter and a resonator delete. I can still hear the turbo very well and even hear the BPV. Now, it's not as loud as a metal tube intake going into the fender well, but the performance should be better with a direct air path to ambient air.

Sponsored

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
What I meant was, this is a closed system.. the MMR CAI which I have not only moves the filter to a different location but it's wide open.. and it's a much larger diameter metal tube instead of plastic with somewhat questionable quality Lol.

I sincerely doubt any dealer would give you trouble over a closed CAI, using the factory tube and filter/box by Ford Performance.
I personally don't think they would give u a problem over any CAI, just depends on the tempermant of the dealer u knkw

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I personally don't think they would give u a problem over any CAI, just depends on the tempermant of the dealer u knkw
Maybe.. but I wouldn't take the chance. Not unless the CAI resembles a stock one in design and application and even better still comes from Ford.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Isn't that a HAI instead of a CAI??

I don't see the benefit of any such "CAI" being beneficial when it's open to ALL of the underhood engine temps and heat soak. I'd be willing to bet the air inlet temps of the EB factory closed air box are better than those of that (or similar) units, even more so if sitting in traffic, correct??

Maybe there is benefit gained for high speed TRACK use (such as auto crossing or road racing), as most GT350 and R drivers are truly tracking and running those vehicles hard, as opposed to the real world daily driver who may be stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for his/her daily commute (or the garage queen that never gets driven at all)...

Thoughts?

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Isn't that a HAI instead of a CAI??

I don't see the benefit of any such "CAI" being beneficial when it's open to ALL of the underhood engine temps and heat soak. I'd be willing to bet the air inlet temps of the EB factory closed air box are better than those of that (or similar) units, even more so if sitting in traffic, correct??

Maybe there is benefit gained for high speed TRACK use (such as auto crossing or road racing), as most GT350 and R drivers are truly tracking and running those vehicles hard, as opposed to the real world daily driver who may be stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for his/her daily commute (or the garage queen that never gets driven at all)...

Thoughts?
I would have to agree. In order to see low temperature with an open filter to compartment design, you would need to be at constant high speeds. For daily driving and even intermediate acceleration there's not enough flow. The GT350 air intake uses a paper conical filter and an air box shroud (seals against the hood).

That or something like the AirAid would probably be one of the best examples of a properly designed air intake for performance street cars. Even the GT350R uses the air box...

http://cdn3.volusion.com/mwmrj.hkpfq/v/vspfiles/photos/21-11030-02-4.jpg?1461941162

OP
OP
Juben

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
This CAI seals against the hood creating an enclosed container for the filter element much like the factory EBM box. If the filter was just hanging out into the engine bay or fender well, then yes, I'd agree. However, given how well the Ford engineers designed the factory EBM, I can't imagine they'd use a worse design on their top tier Mustang.

Has anyone seen this box in person besides me? It's one of the first things I noticed while looking over the 350R at Mustang Week last year. It appears to be designed very well and should perform accordingly.

In any event though, we won't know until we try it, and that's exactly what I plan to do. I'm also planning to use this with a larger turbo where I'll see the benefit of the increased airflow offered by the larger filter. If I was planning to stay stock turbo, I'd stick with the factory box unless I just had some money to blow and wanted a better looking setup and/or whooshy noises. Bottom line, if ten people commit to ordering when it's released, $250 is gonna be a steal for a nice, quality OEM CAI.
Sponsored