Ford Mustang GT 2019 Garage Opener

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
I have the homelink in my 16, and it doesnt work worth a *%^$. It has no range. It will only work when in the garage. There is a forum on here about how poorly the homelink system works, a lot of unhappy people. I bought a 13 dollar tiny clicker from Amazon that works almost 2 houses down the road.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I have the homelink in my 16, and it doesnt work worth a *%^$. It has no range. It will only work when in the garage. There is a forum on here about how poorly the homelink system works, a lot of unhappy people. I bought a 13 dollar tiny clicker from Amazon that works almost 2 houses down the road.
Know what you mean. When new, mine would not open the door unless the bumper was almost touching the door. Then months later, it magically started working from the street in front of the house. It wasn't something like interference or anything because the remote that came with the opener continued to work normally, as did the HomeLink in our ATS. Worked fine until a few weeks ago, when it changed to only working inside the garage. So, basically like yours and just s little worse than mine when new.

That apparently happened while the stripes were being painted on my car but I can't imagine what they could have done to affect that.

I'm guessing its a million to one shot, but I read that if the car's battery goes flat the car changes some systems to a low power setting. That thread also said it would not immediately reset when the battery was good again. So, maybe the car is limiting the signal power. I'm pretty sure the battery got well run down because they had the car for 3 weeks for various reasons (mostly my fault). On one visit, I saw the battery cover was off, so they may have had to recharge it.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
I have it and for the life of me we couldn’t get it programmed. We ended up using the clicker.
My '18 has it, and I also couldn't get it to work with my door.
The problem mostly likely is that you have a rolling code garage door opener. The one on my old house, I had to unscrew the light shroud (like you would to change the light bulb overheard unit) then push this red (hidden) button. And follow the directions. You'll have to hit your garage door opener a few times for the car's homelink to syncronize. Google or Youtube the instructions. The important part is knowing / finding where the learn button is... (whether its hidden on overhead unit & you'll need a ladder, or a "learn button" on keypad with multiple buttons)

My new house has a learn button on the keypad, when you flip up a little thing to reveal a bunch of buttons as part of the garage door opener on the wall and it was a lot easier.

Last edited:

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
I have it and for the life of me we couldn’t get it programmed. We ended up using the clicker.
Overhead Garage Door or other older opener? Neither my wifes Pilot nor my Mustang would open our doors. But my slightly older Lexus would no problem. Betwen myself, Honda dealer, and Homelink tech we spent hours at our house trying to make it work.

Turns out, Homelink made a change a few years ago that was not 100% backwards compatible. In between buying the '16 Pilot and '18 Mustsng Homelink figured out the issue with older remotes. Bought a new updated remote to program both cars and it worked!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Mine will only work with the car inside the garage. Like others absolutely horrid range.

Nitronorth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rock
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Auto
I put one from ebay on my 15, kept it and put it on my 18, works perfect. Be aware the 18 plastic holder thingy is diff, i had to cut the plug off my 15 visor, then swap the plastic holder things, rerun the wire back thru it and attach the plug, nbd,simple...I also ended up having to put a small o-ring on the stem to keep it from pulling out of the holder as it just didnt fit quite the same..
I'm good for 150 ft from door

Allegro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2018 RC GT Premium
Once I got my '18 programmed it works great. I can hit it from around the corner before I can even see the house. By the time I get to the garage the door is almost fully up and I can drive in without stopping.

CFUG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I use Alexa in the mustang to talk to my automated house to control the lift and exterior lights when I come home at night.

Deleted member 35786

Mine will only work with the car inside the garage. Like others absolutely horrid range.
Yea I noticed that if I put my visor down like I am blocking the sun, then push the button it has a better range when I pull up to the house. Now my wife's 17' Pilot will open the damn thing from the street 20yrds away.
What gives...

Sponsored

JiminVirginia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Shelby GT350. No stripes.
Once I got my '18 programmed it works great. I can hit it from around the corner before I can even see the house. By the time I get to the garage the door is almost fully up and I can drive in without stopping.
Me, too. My new 2018 Shelby programmed perfectly.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
There is something different between the 2015-2017 HL visors and the 2018-19’s.

I say this from experience and as others who have 2015-2017’s have posted above...

My prior 2016, the HL visor SUCKED. It sucked for programming and it sucked operationaly. I was lucky if I could get the door to close upon leaving, let alone open at all once arriving back home. Even then, the front of the car had to be almost literally nose to nose with the garage door for it to function or receive the signal.

I also have a Chamberlin opener with (2) 100watt LED bulbs.

When turned in my 2016 on a Ford Buy Back, my 2018 S550 HL visor not only programmed instantly, but it has such a greater signal strength, it has absolutely NO issues opening or closing the same garage door unit. I can do the same as others have posted and click the HL button as I’m nearing the house and the garage door opens without a hitch!

I’m wondering if either the actual HL visor circuitry is different, if there’s an additional antenna somewhere in the 2018/19 OR if there’s a difference in the Forscan coding that amps the signal strength??

I mean, the 2018 HL definitely works 100%, every single time....

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS, 2016 Explorer Sport, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport, 1968 Firebird
Vehicle Showcase
I can tell you from experience that anything other than a regular incandescent bulb in my opener and it doesn’t work worth a damn with any of the vehicles I have. But my 16 mustang HL only works while being as close as I can get to the door with the visor down. I even tried extending the antenna on my opener.

keiths2kgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang GT PP 50th AP
My 15 has worked fine since day one. Great range and never an issue. Programmed fine the first time. I have a Craftsman garage door opener
Sponsored