Sponsored

Ford Extended Warranty cover track days?

dem00n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Ruby Red
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to purchase an extended powertrain warranty for the GT350. Do any of you know if this warranty will cover HPDE days (Non-competitive events)? Car is currently at 31k miles and I'm averaging around 5 track days a year. I understand the conditions with the standard warranty is that the car is covered for non-competitive events, but what about the extended warranty?

Thanks!
Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to purchase an extended powertrain warranty for the GT350. Do any of you know if this warranty will cover HPDE days (Non-competitive events)? Car is currently at 31k miles and I'm averaging around 5 track days a year. I understand the conditions with the standard warranty is that the car is covered for non-competitive events, but what about the extended warranty?

Thanks!
Short answer: Yes.
Just never say you were “racing”. Once that word is spoken, your warranty days are over forever. You were just driving around and something broke....

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Hey everyone,

Thanks!
When I purchased my coverage through Ford I decided to read the 12 pages of fine print. “Losses due to negligence, including racing (will not be covered under this agreement.)”. In the contract it’s item 7 d(6)

The agreement itself doesn’t set a definition for racing (likely on purpose so they can be vague about it), but my dealer said they’d never raise an issue with someone who was HPDE’ing the car. He said to be as safe as possible just don’t mention the HPDE’ing at all when bringing it in for service.

Sponsored

Davesvt2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I’ve often been told as long as it’s not a competitive TIMED event you’re fine.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
So no timed Autocross? Seems quite excessive.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Buy this car intended to be raced, we'll even hook you up with a class to teach you how to race it and provide you with suspension recommendations for racing, but dont race it.
Ford doesn’t teach you how to “race” at their events. They teach you how to do HPDE.
As all HPDE organizations will tell you: “No trophies, no prizes, no cash, no passing unless given a point by. And keep it between the lines.”
But it you want to go race against the clock (auto-cross, TX Mile, etc.) be my guest. Just don’t expect Ford to fix it if you break it.
BTW: At an HPDE about a year ago, a friend with a Cadi CTS-V lost his brakes at the end of a straight, went off the course and hit a berm (lot of damage). I heard him on the phone telling the dealer to come get it with a tow truck. Wanted to get it fixed ASAP so he could go “racing” again. The next week told me they denied his warranty because he told them he was “racing”. Cost him about $10K to get his car back. So its not just Ford...

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

volcanogod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 350
There was a huge legal battle for the Ford Raptors in the 1st year when folks were offroading and going over hump dedoos too fast and were bending the frames. In Fords own commercials they showed the trucks being jumped. I think Ford learned a lesson so I'm sure there are folks currently fighting for warranty coverages on the GT 350 and 500's for driving them as shown by Ford. I have no interest in racing mine and only drive for fun, but will eventually go to COTA track day to have some fun, although nothing serious with a techpac 2016. :) The car was meant to be driving!!!! Every time I get the NCOVID blues I head out for a fun drive.... Makes me smile everytime.

Sponsored

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
There’s always tow trucks at these events. When you make a big noise, you just pay the tow dude to drive your car outside the track grounds and drop it on the road. Then call the dealer. :sunglasses:

nordique14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Magnetic Gray (J1601)
Buy this car intended to be raced, we'll even hook you up with a class to teach you how to race it and provide you with suspension recommendations for racing, but dont race it.
Cars that are meant to be raced come with a tow hook from the factory.:crackup:

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
Racing=wheel-to-wheel racing to the finish line in a non-street-legal car with a roll cage, fire suppression, and all safety gear (fire-resistant suit, shoes, socks, gloves and a HANS device.) Obviously if you turn your GT350 into a race car, you void the warranty. If you are doing open lapping or HPDE events in a stock GT350 (no major mods such as forced induction, aftermarket tune, coilover suspension, or other engine or suspension modifications) at a race track and you have a mechanical failure, then it will be covered under the manufacturer's warranty. If you are doing timed events (driving for time vs racing for the finish line, see racing definition above) such as time trials or SCCA time attack and you have a mechanical failure, then according to Ford it will not be covered under warranty.
Sponsored