Sponsored

Ford Axing all cars except Mustang and Focus Active Crossover in North America

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
Agreed.

It still seems like there's room for a sedan on a couple inches shorter wheelbase than the current Fusion. Fusion and the next-smaller Focus still seem to be selling in reasonable volumes. It's the Fiesta and Taurus that are hurting things, so overall sedan profitability should improve by simply dropping those and consolidating the other two. Projecting only 50,000 CUV-style Focus sales with nothing else to support that makes even less sense than maintaining the current Focus and Fusion.

Norm
Well me personally I hope that decision makes them reconsider axing the Fusion. The platform is already there, they have made updates to the Fusion in 17, and now again in 19. Maybe they will rethink killing it because only offering the Mustang and CUV SUV and trucks to me is going to be a recipe for disaster. I think in this thread, or another one someone mentioned they are keeping cars in Europe and if the market dictates a switch back to cars they could retool the plants and start pumping out cars. I don't think they could do it fast enough. Look how long it has taken for the Ranger to get here( FYI it's still not here) the Bronco, the "Baby Bronco" Ford is really dragging their feet with some of these vehicles. It doesn't give me a ton of faith they could switch back to cars in a timely manner. I really think they need to reconsider killing all cars
Sponsored

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
Well me personally I hope that decision makes them reconsider axing the Fusion. The platform is already there, they have made updates to the Fusion in 17, and now again in 19. Maybe they will rethink killing it because only offering the Mustang and CUV SUV and trucks to me is going to be a recipe for disaster. I think in this thread, or another one someone mentioned they are keeping cars in Europe and if the market dictates a switch back to cars they could retool the plants and start pumping out cars. I don't think they could do it fast enough. Look how long it has taken for the Ranger to get here( FYI it's still not here) the Bronco, the "Baby Bronco" Ford is really dragging their feet with some of these vehicles. It doesn't give me a ton of faith they could switch back to cars in a timely manner. I really think they need to reconsider killing all cars
Ford is not going to kill the Mondeo (Fusion) they just stopped with the NorthAmerica development (Like they just did with the Focus Active). As you pointed out they are keeping the cars on different markets and those MAY come back if the market dictates that. The best example of how this works happened with the Fiesta; Ford launched that car as a 2009MY in Europe and then they realized it was a “good idea” to have it in the US as well, so it arrived as a 2011MY (we need to consider that Ford launches can be a little faster now in comparison to almost 10 years ago, specially when the car already exists and they only need to adapt it).

The case of the Ranger was something a little different, this current gen was never intended to be offered in the US, also they had to wait for the production of the Michigan made focus to end in order to destroy and rebuild the plant again and they just decided to offer the car back not long ago.

The Bronco’s situation is a little different, it was never intended to be offered before 2020, it’s a completely new product, they don’t offer it anywhere (it takes time). The “Baby Bronco” (which by the way, WILL NOT use the Bronco nameplate in any way; it’s going to be a very different car) since it will be riding on the new Focus/Escape platform we need to wait till the current generation ends so the new Escape can be introduced, alongside its “yet to be named off-road brother”.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
A few days ago I saw this picture over the internet, supposedly it’s the future “NA Ford Lineup”. I assume this image is already obsolete since this was before the announcement of the Focus Active not coming to NA, however we can see some interesting shapes....

Specially the Bronco in both 3 and 5 door at the front (right) and an Autonomous Vehicle at the very end (I can tell thanks to the LIDAR on top).

19E34E0D-225A-4C1A-B040-FF4CF4C9802A.jpeg

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
It’s been suggested that the Mondeo wagon will be brought over from Europe to allow the Fusion name to live on as a “lifted wagon” type competitor for the Subaru Outback.

It’s also rumored that the baby Bronco will be called “Maverick”

The fact that Mustang will now be the only traditional car in Ford’s future US lineup means increased focus (no pun intended), attention and hopefully the availability of more $$ for increased Mustang-specific research/development.

Let’s all look forward to a successful launch of the GT500!

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
Ford is not going to kill the Mondeo (Fusion) they just stopped with the NorthAmerica development (Like they just did with the Focus Active). As you pointed out they are keeping the cars on different markets and those MAY come back if the market dictates that. The best example of how this works happened with the Fiesta; Ford launched that car as a 2009MY in Europe and then they realized it was a “good idea” to have it in the US as well, so it arrived as a 2011MY (we need to consider that Ford launches can be a little faster now in comparison to almost 10 years ago, specially when the car already exists and they only need to adapt it).

The case of the Ranger was something a little different, this current gen was never intended to be offered in the US, also they had to wait for the production of the Michigan made focus to end in order to destroy and rebuild the plant again and they just decided to offer the car back not long ago.

The Bronco’s situation is a little different, it was never intended to be offered before 2020, it’s a completely new product, they don’t offer it anywhere (it takes time). The “Baby Bronco” (which by the way, WILL NOT use the Bronco nameplate in any way; it’s going to be a very different car) since it will be riding on the new Focus/Escape platform we need to wait till the current generation ends so the new Escape can be introduced, alongside its “yet to be named off-road brother”.
I agree with everything you said, my fear is:

1. They are making a huge mistake only offering the Mustang as the only car in the lineup. Some people just flat out don't want an SUV or Crossover.

2. I fear they won't be able to switch back fast enough.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
1. They are making a huge mistake only offering the Mustang as the only car in the lineup. Some people just flat out don't want an SUV or Crossover.
I fear the ultimate fallout, where Ford becomes seen as a SUV/CUV/truck company that sells a few Mustangs as a sideline. I'm sure most people here have noticed Ford's recent TV advertising, where the camera walks you straight past a Mustang without saying a word . . . straight toward some SUV or CUV like that's what you're supposed to be shopping for.

Maybe the Fusion will be around in this market long enough to provoke some re-thinking.

Norm

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
WHAT IF.....

what if gas prices go sky high, and MPGs matter again. People will want a little Fiesta with 30+ mpg.

what if gas prices drop more than they already have... oil lobbyists win the battle over alternative fuel lobbyists, and there's less tax credits for solar, wind, electric cars.... suddenly there's even less urgency to go electric.

what if Tesla goes belly up after one too many promised goals aren't met. All of the other car makers back off electricity with out the new big electric competitor.

I can keep going on, and find plenty of what ifs where people might want lower cost to drive (mpg or miles per watt) cars. No matter what a bigger vehicle SUV/truck is going to get worse mileage and cost more that a car. Any "savings" (aluminum body, turbo, hybrid, etc.) that you can apply to the larger vehicle with worst aero can be applied to the smaller car for more efficiency.

All of that said... I have 2 SUV's in my driveway. 2017 Explorer Sport & 2015 Acadia Denali. Sold my mustang (3rd car), mostly b/c it was too small and inconvenient for when I had the kids in the car with me.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
WHAT IF.....

what if gas prices go sky high, and MPGs matter again. People will want a little Fiesta with 30+ mpg.

what if gas prices drop more than they already have... oil lobbyists win the battle over alternative fuel lobbyists, and there's less tax credits for solar, wind, electric cars.... suddenly there's even less urgency to go electric.

what if Tesla goes belly up after one too many promised goals aren't met. All of the other car makers back off electricity with out the new big electric competitor.

I can keep going on, and find plenty of what ifs where people might want lower cost to drive (mpg or miles per watt) cars. No matter what a bigger vehicle SUV/truck is going to get worse mileage and cost more that a car. Any "savings" (aluminum body, turbo, hybrid, etc.) that you can apply to the larger vehicle with worst aero can be applied to the smaller car for more efficiency.

All of that said... I have 2 SUV's in my driveway. 2017 Explorer Sport & 2015 Acadia Denali. Sold my mustang (3rd car), mostly b/c it was too small and inconvenient for when I had the kids in the car with me.
MOST SUV-Buyers (I used “most” since it doesn’t apply to all “SUV-Buyers”) will not go back to “hatchbacks and sedans” even if the gas price go sky high. Sadly this is not just “a trend”, people are just interested in CUV’s now.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
At least CUV's aren't full-on SUV height . . . so maybe there's a little hope that the tallest of the tall will fade.

Norm

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
WHAT IF.....

what if gas prices go sky high, and MPGs matter again
It's unlikely, unless something big happens to change things. There's no issue with the supply of oil within our lifetimes, unless someone makes it illegal to take oil out of the ground.

If the world governments become so restrictive and authoritarian (left wing) that they will stop oil production, they will probably outlaw cars with internal combustion engines first.

Sponsored

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
SUVs get shockingly good fuel economy now.

The 2wd, Navigator/Expedition do nearly as well highway as the Focus RS.

The smaller SUVs can hit 30.

If these come out with hybrid assists, and do high 20s city and over 30 highway, most people won't care unless gas prices hit those of Europe.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

If these come out with hybrid assists, and do high 20s city and over 30 highway, most people won't care unless gas prices hit those of Europe.
The Navigator is rated at 23/16 and the Focus RS is 26/19. Not very close IMO.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The Navigator is rated at 23/16 and the Focus RS is 26/19. Not very close IMO.
It was 25 when I had my car, guess the 18 got a bump.

Also, the Expedition is rated at 24.

Pretty close regardless.

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6

That is true, but there are people that flat out do not want an SUV/CUV. I know the numbers of those people are dwindling, but they need to offer a car still IMO.
Sponsored