Sponsored

Ford Axing all cars except Mustang and Focus Active Crossover in North America

Coloradoeco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 eco pp
Well here's one that'll give Ford a problem Nissan Kicks starting at 17990 and the cheapest thing Ford has in CUV, SUV is the Ecosport at 19995. Ecosport gets 29 mpg and the kicks 36. Hope Fords got something coming soon our they'll be left in the dust again.
My other car is a Nissan , biggest pos, cvt lag in the summer, door lock actuator issues... Nissan and their Cvts are the sole reason ill never buy from them again.
Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a die hard Ford man through and through but I beginning to wonder about Fords future. Ford use to be a leader and innovator in the industry even creating new automotive segments but now they've become a follow the leader and late to the part company. The Ecosport is a good example it should have been brought to the US five years ago its been available in most of the rest of the world for over 15 years. Come on Ford get a car guy back at the helm F the stock market and become the automotive industry's leader again.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
...Hybrid F150 and Mustang coming out in two years. They will sell a ton.....
I'm interested to see what Ford's "hybrid" system for the F150 and Mustang is like, and if it really debuts in two years.

I doubt it.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
....Ford use to be a leader and innovator in the industry even creating new automotive segments but now they've become a follow the leader and late to the party company......
One could say that recognizing that an automotive segment is dying, and getting out of it early, is showing industry leadership.

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
One could say that recognizing that an automotive segment is dying, and getting out of it early, is showing industry leadership.
I agree but now can they need to quit being late bringing new product out. In the automotive industry It doesn't matter who came up with a ideal first it only matters who brings it to market the first. If your not first your only seen and a me to johny come lately.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
I'm a die hard Ford man through and through but I beginning to wonder about Fords future. Ford use to be a leader and innovator in the industry even creating new automotive segments but now they've become a follow the leader and late to the part company. The Ecosport is a good example it should have been brought to the US five years ago its been available in most of the rest of the world for over 15 years. Come on Ford get a car guy back at the helm F the stock market and become the automotive industry's leader again.
Creating a segment isn't the defining characteristic for innovation. Creating segments is something ever company would like to do but rarely does.

Ford is a very innovative company, they have a ton of SPE awards every year for just that. They spent 8 billion dollars on R&D last year. You could tool up 5+ new vehicle programs with that kind of cash.

The only thing they are behind in is getting a electric car to market, and the full hybridization of their product line. Which not many companies have done yet.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I'm interested to see what Ford's "hybrid" system for the F150 and Mustang is like, and if it really debuts in two years.

I doubt it.

It’ll be faster than the V8 but Ford will de-tune it to be slightly slower than the V8 for marketing reasons. And that “is” Ford’s problem. Fail, fail, fail... :tsk:

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I agree but now can they need to quit being late bringing new product out. In the automotive industry It doesn't matter who came up with a ideal first it only matters who brings it to market the first. If your not first your only seen and a me to johny come lately.
This isn't a question of "bringing to the market first", it's a question of getting out of a market when it's dying.

We also have to be objective; when Ford introduced the Mustang, it created a new market segment, and created the Pony Wars. That was great. But there were markets to find back then, new automotive ideas and concepts to try.

At this point, 60+ years later, it's all been tried before. There's just not much room for innovation anymore.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
It’ll be faster than the V8 but Ford will de-tune it to be slightly slower than the V8 for marketing reasons. And that “is” Ford’s problem. Fail, fail, fail... :tsk:
I love that you're predicting a Ford fail before anything has even happened.:lol::lol:

Yes, Ford fails occasionally. But they win a lot more than they fail.

Sponsored

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
Ford needs to find a way to keep its sedan buyers returning to its showrooms. A trade-in analysis by researcher Kelley Blue Book found that less than half of Ford Fusion owners are loyal to the brand. The most popular SUV models that Fusion owners consider are the Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4, KBB found.

“Ford has a hard time moving people from their cars to SUVs,” said Michelle Krebs, a senior analyst with KBB affiliate Autotrader.
This is exactly what I've been saying. Ford is foolish to think they have any substantial brand loyalty in moving their passenger car customers into their CUVs. Even if 60% of those passenger car buyers move to CUVs as part of the trend Ford may lose half of that business.

This trend is going to bring their CUVs under the same profit pressure they're fleeing cars to avoid. There's no way they see a net profit increase by pissing away 70% of their passenger car business.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This isn't a question of "bringing to the market first", it's a question of getting out of a market when it's dying.

We also have to be objective; when Ford introduced the Mustang, it created a new market segment, and created the Pony Wars. That was great. But there were markets to find back then, new automotive ideas and concepts to try.

At this point, 60+ years later, it's all been tried before. There's just not much room for innovation anymore.
Being first to market is completely different aspect than getting out of a dying segment. The last new market segment Ford created was when they came out with the Explorer Sport Track that had GM come out with the avalanche the honda ridgeline and many others.

x_man586

Thank you Diatoms
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White Mustang GT m6
Right. Ford was first to market with the aluminum body panels on the F Series but they stayed in the truck market.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I still think exiting the car market completely is going to be a mistake.
Agreed.

It still seems like there's room for a sedan on a couple inches shorter wheelbase than the current Fusion. Fusion and the next-smaller Focus still seem to be selling in reasonable volumes - it's the Fiesta and Taurus that are hurting things the most, so overall sedan profitability should improve by simply dropping those and consolidating the other two. Projecting only 50,000 CUV-style Focus sales with nothing else to support them makes even less sense than maintaining the current Focus and Fusion.

Norm
Sponsored

Last edited: