Sponsored

Ford Axing all cars except Mustang and Focus Active Crossover in North America

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
The new Taurus - aka the Chinese market Taurus, was never going to come to North America under any circumstances. It's built on an enlarged Fusion chassis, the same one that is used for the Continental. And that's the problem... if the new Taurus was sold here, it'd be a cheaper version of the Continental just as the Expedition is a cheaper version of the Navigator, or the upcoming new Aviator and the upcoming new Explorer. MANY buyers would just buy the Ford version of the car, unless they want the 40-way seats and the best leather. It's hard to make a case of the Lincoln versions against the Ford versions... although I will say that the MKC is about twice as good as the Escape because of a far better dash and seats, and less clunky styling.

Fusion Sport is still available, and maybe thru 2019 too. Seats are *great*, they are reskinned Titanium seats (or if you look at the Mondeo worldwide, you'll find the same seats as the Sport worldwide).
Agreed, too bad as Ford could have made more money, heck the Limited Taurus wasn't far off of an MKS, maybe if they did a better job differentiating them but they don't. Cadillac is schooling them and they aren't paying attention.
Sponsored

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The Mustang started to go into the toilet in M/Y 2015,it has been going down farther ever since,now with the electric version on the way, Ford will do the final flush.Just imagine an S197 Mustang owner, that already not a fan of the S550, buying a S what ever Ford will:D call it in an electric version,not ever going to happen,sales will go down the toilet also, I can hardly wait to hear the exhaust note on that thing,it will make the lawn tractor Eco Boost thing sound fantastic. LOL:D

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I'm hoping electric cars die.

As an IT guy and tech enthusiast I utterly hate everything tech is doing to the auto industry.
I'm in IT as well and obviously a tech enthusiast... I like what tech is doing to the auto industry. Matter of fact, I think it is exciting.

Change is hard though... and we need a major overhaul of our infrastructure to make the tech work. It is not magic.

I just don't get the SUV or crossover market. To me, they all look alike, handle like crap and while they may do 100 things they do none of them very well. Even mid-size SUV aren't great family haulers. Big on the outside but horrible passenger room. The minivan still hasn't been topped for an all around, soccer mom (or dad!) family hauler that can still head to Home Depot on the weekend and pick up a pile of lumber. What is it with USA and these crossover things? Where I live, Long Island NY, they are literally everywhere. I just don't get it.
Friend of mine had one years back... he had a sound system to die for in it. Put a lot of speakers in those. Ha ha ha...

Seriously, if I had a large family or a family member with special needs or an older person to care for (wheelchair, etc), then a crossover or SUV would be perfect. We are about to have a BUNCH of old people in the US....

markham51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 07 GT500 SS, MKIII Cobra, 68 Shelby GT500 KR Convert
Company loyalty is fast becoming a thing of the past as consumers buy the freshest most intriguing products not those their fathers bought. As such manufacturers are forced to refresh and redesign their most popular models more frequently dramatically increasing R&D spending. Add to that a market with many more nameplates each year and iterations (gas...hybrid...all electric) and you can imaging what Ford's projections look like. I believe that this is Ford fighting for survival here not just someone acting on a whim.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
I'm in IT as well and obviously a tech enthusiast... I like what tech is doing to the auto industry. Matter of fact, I think it is exciting.

Change is hard though... and we need a major overhaul of our infrastructure to make the tech work. It is not magic.

Friend of mine had one years back... he had a sound system to die for in it. Put a lot of speakers in those. Ha ha ha...

Seriously, if I had a large family or a family member with special needs or an older person to care for (wheelchair, etc), then a crossover or SUV would be perfect. We are about to have a BUNCH of old people in the US....
I see a future of no v8 rumbles, no manuals, no actual driving and VERY limited "aftermarket" performance modifications. That sounds like hell to me.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I wonder how ford plans to keep their fleet emissions for the future since they axed the most efficient of their fleet.
They will probably just pay the CAFE fines and roll that cost into the MSRP of the vehicles. They are probably already doing that since they have always made and sold way more trucks than anything else.

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Fusion Sport is still available, and maybe thru 2019 too. Seats are *great*, they are reskinned Titanium seats (or if you look at the Mondeo worldwide, you'll find the same seats as the Sport worldwide).
I have a 2011 Sport 3.5 NA and kinda lost interest in the 2.7L TT Sport since the seat color choice is too light and no black seats are still available so far. Maybe 2019 will allow black, but yet again the transmission is still an A6 and kinda old. the Edge ST comes with an A8 for 2019 vs the 2018 and earlier Edge Sport with an A6. Maybe if black interior and an A8 or A10 came with a 2019 Sport, I might look at it again or even better if they allowed the Lincoln 3.0TT in it. I could at least get some current iteration of a Ford Falcon FPV F6, if they had a 400+ Hp and Tq Fusion Sport/ST.

Aside from Crossover/SUV/Pick Ups. lately it is a lot harder to park now, since many do not park the SUV/CUV/Truck properly and go over the lines and even worse have had children slamming giant SUV doors into my car even when I am still in the car.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm hoping the plan is to stop making the cars so they can upgrade . . .
Upgrade what, exactly?

Less "feet" in the parking lot is something I'd consider. Wonder how many people went there to look at cars and left with a truck? My aunt and uncle did just that. She wanted a car and then she walked away with an SUV (they are a Ford family).
So they got talked into getting something they specifically had no intention of buying. To me, that means they let themselves get "up-sold", or in other words what the sales person wanted to put them in over what it was that they actually wanted.

See how this happens... sometimes great decisions are not popular...
:confused::confused: . . . I sure can't call your aunt's and uncle's experience a "great decision" for them. For the sales person, though, it was exactly that.

Norm

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
But are you a person who enjoys driving for its own sake (and hopefully enjoying the part where you get better at it)?

If that's a person's "thing", sure. But now you're talking about somebody who's mainly a sound system enthusiast with unique needs and using the best vehicle for that purpose as his canvas. He's not a "driving" enthusiast, at least not in that vehicle

Those are specific situations that don't apply to everybody. Working against such a choice is difficulty in climbing up into or down out of an SUV (at least) or storage space for the wheelchair in a CUV. Once you become an "older person", it's reasonable to expect at least some of that larger family to be able to provide their own transportation, if in fact they're going to the same place(s) that you are. So there's no need for you to still be responsible for providing the "family bus".

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I see a future of no v8 rumbles, no manuals, no actual driving and VERY limited "aftermarket" performance modifications. That sounds like hell to me.
IOW, the products of a company that sees itself as being a "mobility company". Completely soul-less products from a company that - if you listen to Jim Farley - is trying to redefine "emotion".

Norm

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Seriously, I think half of this forum works in IT. Granted, IT is a very broad spectrum, it's impressive to have so many on a car forum. I'm also in IT and I love new tech to an extent. I think some people could benefit from an autonomous car, but that's not me. I love driving. I love driving manual. I love hearing the exhaust note. I love going fast. I love carving corners. I don't mix business and pleasure too much. :D

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
Seriously, I think half of this forum works in IT. Granted, IT is a very broad spectrum, it's impressive to have so many on a car forum. I'm also in IT and I love new tech to an extent. I think some people could benefit from an autonomous car, but that's not me. I love driving. I love driving manual. I love hearing the exhaust note. I love going fast. I love carving corners. I don't mix business and pleasure too much. :D
In IT as well for for 30 years, ditto except for carving corners, prefer the drag strip. :cheers:

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
I'm not in IT, but my field of work is 100% tech based (I actually work with a lot of technology that will be used in autonomous vehicles).

Even though I sit at a computer all day, I still want more and more tech in my vehicle.

I'm also very much looking forward to partial autonomous tech becoming a reality. I love driving, but if I could get on the highway and let the car drive me to my exit, that would be fantastic.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
GE tried this too. They've been cutting themselves apart for years and aren't getting anywhere. I see the same thing happening here.

They should be innovating not amputating. This news frustrates me on many levels.
Ford has out spent GM on R&D

yote41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
Well Ford cut their own throat. They will suffer massive loss just in fleet and leo sale. Our dept and srrounding ones run the taurus interceptor
Sponsored