Sponsored

For those who owned a 13/14 Mustang....

GForensic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mach 1/GT500 Owner
Hello All,

Have been really considering a new 2016 Ruby Red GT or California Special. As much as I would like to pull the trigger I keep thinking about buying a low mileage 2013 Boss 302. Price wise I am looking at around 37-38K for either one so it would be close in money. Well at least at what I am looking at.

I know there have been vast improvements made but If anyone would care to chime in I would love to know what you consider the biggest differences between the last gen and the new gen. I understand the Boss 302 is more of a specialty car with a different setup but I would be interested to hear opinions anyways. I could always buy the Boss now and wait a few years for the newer models but then again the new ones seem to be a really big hit. Decisions decisions...lol.

Any input is most welcome.

Thanks!!
:thumbsup:
Sponsored

5.0AVP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rapid Red 401A PP1 GT
I owned a 13 base GT with 3.55 gears. I traded it in on a 15 GTI due to commute but am now back to a 15 Premium GT with 3.55 gears and 19s

It depends on what you want. The 13 did feel a bit quicker to me. I liked the idea of the solid rear axle and the body style. That being said the 15 handles a bit better and the interior is much better although I am comparing a premium to base. In short the 13 felt more muscle car and the 15 feels more sports car.

I love both cars but I have to say if its Boss vs. 15 GT I'd go boss. Every shortcoming of my 13 (suspension, tires, exhaust) is addressed in the Boss. Plus the exclusivity of a Boss is cool and if you intend on keeping the car it is a better investment. Can't loose either way though enjoy!

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Get the Boss if it's a weekend/nice day car. It has more character, and it is more "special" as you said.

Get the '16 GT if it'll be a daily. It has much better features for day to day driving, and is a more comfortable daily.

I currently own a 2013 Boss 302, after owning a 2015 EB. The interior is a much better design, but the fit and finish was about the same. I had creaks and groans in my 4500 mile EB. Maybe they've been addressed, but I noticed them. I was much more comfortable in the EB though. I went back and forth between trading up my EB for a GTPP or a Boss, and I appreciated the character and performance of the Boss versus the GTPP's more balanced approach towards performance and daily driving.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I think you really need to drive both.

Sponsored

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
The BOSS is more raw on the road with biggest difference being the IRS. But yeah, test drive both and make a decision.

blk_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CO 2015 GT PP
I came from a 14 GT Premium with 3.55s and went to a 2015 base PP car. The handling (IRS/PP) and brakes alone are worth it much less the interior etc. I also got the Recaros and think they are a huge upgrade as well. The best thing I did was test drive the 15 and immediately went and drove my 14 on the same stretch of highway/ramps/etc and that made my decision for me. You can't go wrong either way-as others have said....I suggest driving them both and deciding whats best for you.

Swayse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt auto
I came very close to buying an 2011 gt, and again in 2013, and again in 2014. I could never get use to the seating position with the relation to the pedals and steering wheel. Sat in a 15, and now we have 2.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Was considering a 2014 just as the 2015 were coming out, due to the incentives and everything, but the interior is just terrible compared to the 2015+. If it were a track only car, would be fine, but for a regular driver there is no comparison. Took my wife out on a drive in the 2014 after having driven several 2015, and as soon as we got back she immediately looked at me and said 2015 for sure, it is so much nicer to sit in. Your mileage may vary though!

Edit: One thing may sway the decision, if you are getting the hardtop/coupe/fastback and plan to have any adults ever sit in the backseat (or anyone taller than 5'), the roof line of the previous generation is much nicer. The Fastback look is really sweet, but the headroom in the backseat is only acceptable for small children or headless horsemen. As suggested, go try them both out!

SK GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT(sold), 17 1LE
Traded my 14 GT/CS for the 15 Premium GT I have now. No ragrets

Sponsored

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT PP
I didn't see any bosses when I was looking at the 15's and might've been tempted if I had. The 15 GT is a nicer car, without doubt, but the Boss will likely be more collectable. It also puts out more hp (though less torque) and may be quicker in some environments.

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I love the exclusivity of the Boss and I admit I think it looks nicer than the '15 GT PP I got. However...the interior is a lot more plane Jane and I wouldn't feel right paying almost brand new prices for a vehicle with several thousand miles/KM on the odometer.

asa.barba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I currently have a '15 GTPP. My last car was a '13 Boss. The Boss is much more raw and the GT more refined. I miss the exhaust note of the quad exhaust of the Boss. The interior quality and finish is much nicer in the GT. You have to remember the Boss was designed as a track car so the stock stereo is bare bones and the interior feels the same. Any extra squeaks or rattles this may result in go unnoticed due to the exhaust which is fantastic. If you have the track key installed on the Boss it is essentially a tune that gives you a lumpy idle that comes along with a little backfire on deceleration that's lots of fun and draws a lot of attention. You should drive both and see what appeals to you. They are VERY different cars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chadmclark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Agree, try both. I had a 13 Boss, and now the 15GT, auto nonetheless!

The Boss was awesome and wicked quick for the power, but, honestly, I don't miss it accept for how unique it was!

The sound was great on the Boss, esp with the side restrictor plates removed. The 15 with Pypes axle backs is as loud if not louder, but not harsh or poppy at all, low, mean, growl.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

OP
OP

GForensic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mach 1/GT500 Owner
Thank you to all of you who responded so far! A lot of great insight.

I must admit I like the Boss for many reasons including the fact that not many people have them. I wouldn't want it to collect but I like to have things that are unique. I love the school bus yellow and it does sound awesome. On the other hand my other choice would be a 16' California Special in Ruby Red with Black racing stripes (the other stripes would be removed) and a different exhaust (most likely Magnaflow unless Ford Racing has an exhaust setup). I sat in one the other day and LOVE the new miko suede seats with the red stitching. As far as driving one my sister has a 15' GT that she let me drive and I have driven both a 13' and 14'. I know the Boss has a different setup though and I like that! The other consideration is I am in the Northeast so I would get more drive time in the GT before the snow falls where if I had the Boss it would go away much earlier. Neither would be driven in the snow though.

It's a tough choice indeed but at the same time it's not a bad problem to have. :D

Thanks!!
:thumbsup:
Sponsored

Last edited: