Sponsored

Follow up; My broken GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
E
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang , 02 camaro ss, 05 f150 , 09 nissan altima
What was wrong with your original block and heads that they couldnt be salvaged?
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
What was wrong with your original block and heads that they couldnt be salvaged?
Ford doesn't rebuild engines. They replace and tear down back in Detroit to determine cause.

OP
OP
jwhite

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
As said above by @Tomster, Ford won’t rebuild an engine, with that said that intake valve snapped off and bounced around that cylinder wall, that has no sleeve, beat on the top of the head and piston and In jested enough material to go though the supercharger. Cheaper to replace at that point

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
E
Vehicle(s)
As said above by @Tomster, Ford won’t rebuild an engine, with that said that intake valve snapped off and bounced around that cylinder wall, that has no sleeve, beat on the top of the head and piston and In jested enough material to go though the supercharger. Cheaper to replace at that point
Are you saying ford doesnt rebuild or remanufacture engines period? Or just specifically the new gt500? I honestly dont know and Im just curious.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Are you saying ford doesnt rebuild or remanufacture engines period? Or just specifically the new gt500? I honestly dont know and Im just curious.
If you blow an engine for whatever reason, they do not remanufacture the same engine. There will no longer be a matching VIN on the block. They do a teardown and scrap the old engine.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
E
Vehicle(s)
If you blow an engine for whatever reason, they do not remanufacture the same engine. There will no longer be a matching VIN on the block. They do a teardown and scrap the old engine.
Number matching block is why I would tear it down myself and see whats salvageable.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Number matching block is why I would tear it down myself and see whats salvageable.
They wont even allow you to buy the old engine or block. There are generally no exceptions

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
E
Vehicle(s)
They wont even allow you to buy the old engine or block. There are generally no exceptions
Around how much for a new gt500 engine? The one place I tried to get a quick quote on it they said I needed the vin #.

Steeda23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Really glad this worked out well for you. A bigger question is what is going on at Ford that we are being so desensitized to start accepting catastrophic engine failures as common place? The 2018+ GT has ticking and cylinder wall issues and the GT350 and GT500 blow engines at alarming rates. Probably still a low percentage of total builds but far too many to be even remotely acceptable. Ford has been building the GT350 for 6 model years and people still routinely report complete engine failure on new models with less than 1000 miles on the car. I really want to buy a GT350R or GT500 but the issues experienced by this community and the larger public scares me.

OP
OP
jwhite

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
I know a lot of guys like to hear #’s matching, or it means something to the value of the car. Me myself, I never bought this car as an investment, I bought it to drive!, that’s probably why my attitude is so good about the engine failure and repair.
@Tomster , I checked the block for a vin or any stamps on the new block, nothing there. The spot where it should be is just machined smooth.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jwhite

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
Really glad this worked out well for you. A bigger question is what is going on at Ford that we are being so desensitized to start accepting catastrophic engine failures as common place? The 2018+ GT has ticking and cylinder wall issues and the GT350 and GT500 blow engines at alarming rates. Probably still a low percentage of total builds but far too many to be even remotely acceptable. Ford has been building the GT350 for 6 model years and people still routinely report complete engine failure on new models with less than 1000 miles on the car. I really want to buy a GT350R or GT500 but the issues experienced by this community and the larger public scares me.
The failure rate is very, very small. It’s fueled by social media. I’m only the 2nd guy with a blown 500. The 350’s, I’ve got a 2016 that’s running like a clock. All makes and models have engine failure. Just no one cares about the Honda Civic or Toyota Camry. Ford makes a great engine, don’t let Facebook influence you. The 5.2 in FPC and CPC is a fabulous engine

Steeda23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
The failure rate is very, very small. It’s fueled by social media. I’m only the 2nd guy with a blown 500. The 350’s, I’ve got a 2016 that’s running like a clock. All makes and models have engine failure. Just no one cares about the Honda Civic or Toyota Camry. Ford makes a great engine, don’t let Facebook influence you. The 5.2 in FPC and CPC is a fabulous engine
I completely agree that both are fabulous engines (and incredible cars). I am not sure how many GT500s have been delivered thus far but it can’t be many so still concerning to see multiple catastrophic engine failures happen almost immediately after delivery of a ~$100k car. The total problem looks small by percentage but even 1-2% of units means hundreds of people every year spend their hard earned cash on a pretty expensive splurge to acquire their dream car only to have that crushed. Good dealers make a huge difference but more often than not dealers try to screw the consumer and do the least amount necessary to make it go away. I would have very little confidence in my local Ford dealer making this right so stills seems like a gamble. I give props to the dealer that treated you right as I would be more inclined to buy from a good dealer further away than the local dealer that I have little faith in.

EliteGeeks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
you know the value plummeted... right? unless Ford cloned the Numbers, the car is no longer a Numbers matching car. The GT350R is the same way... another 2 guys got ford to buy it back when the motor died.

Instead of adding to or burying this in my 1st thread of “my 500 broke” I’ll give a follow up to my repair.
1st Coconut Point Ford of Bonita Springs/Fort Myers. Thank you! The tech, Cyle perfect job!

Once home I took my 500 to my local Dealership to get an oil change and a full inspection of work performed by Coconut Point Ford, they found Cyle’s work to be perfect! The 500 has about 1500 miles on the new engine and all good. Again thank you Coconut point Ford!

Now for Ford. You come to find out more about a company after bad things happen. Ford came through in a big way! A customer for life! Not that I drive much off brand than Ford anyway, lol

In the middle of this virus and shut down, they found away to get me a new engine and a back ordered supercharger in what I would consider a reasonable time. They paid for a rental, and did a nice job of staying in touch with updates of said parts availability and work progress.

I know some would be upset about a brand new car dropping an engine, now it’s not #’s matching,,,,,,,ext. Yes I’d like to have my original engine but in the grand scheme of things Ford pulled through for me! I’ve been a car guy my whole life and have an understanding that SH”T can happen. I am %100 satisfied with Ford and how they handled the situation, thank you Ford!

Edit; the only way Ford could have done better, they could have made @kilobravo give up his car to me!! Lol you have my original order before the Golden Ticket thing came to light!! Lol

E0C6821C-78E3-47A3-8D27-13C8516F1483.jpeg
F0358687-1A76-4BBC-A20C-F12DDC988E9D.jpeg
9855E01C-B7F7-4ECC-A1A2-BB82877F986D.jpeg
47E032A0-FBE9-45AA-808B-A014F6FC4DD4.jpeg
1C866924-7115-48C4-81BA-EAF08FFA3CDB.jpeg

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
you know the value plummeted... right? unless Ford cloned the Numbers, the car is no longer a Numbers matching car. The GT350R is the same way... another 2 guys got ford to buy it back when the motor died.
Did you fail to read what was posted above by the owner? Apparently so...

I know a lot of guys like to hear #’s matching, or it means something to the value of the car. Me myself, I never bought this car as an investment, I bought it to drive!, that’s probably why my attitude is so good about the engine failure and repair.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
It’s still worth MSRP so just STOP!
Sponsored