tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
Was browsing around the other day, as you do, and came across a press release from last year marking the millionth Mustang produced at the Flat Rock plant. Now Mustangs have been produced there since 2005 so the thick end of 100000 mustangs a year are produced, that's 300 odd per day

I think I read elsewhere here that RHD cars are produced in batches? (though some say they aren't - don't you just love forums...) but in any event, the 2000 odd slated for delivery this year in the UK equates to less than a week's production. There are obviously other RHD markets so it's not as simple as that but I would think that with the teething problems ironed out we should be seeing greatly reduced waiting times before long

I ordered in October and was told 9 - 12 months for delivery but having contacted Stacey this week she said I should expect a Jan / Feb build (nothing on dealer systems though)

Wonder what the real situation is - Perhaps Mr Barratt could shed some light on whether RHD output has been increased ?:ford:
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
It might be a week to do all @ 300 a day, however:
The mustang remains strong in NA and Canada.
The mustang is now a global car, production includes that of LHD cars for europe and asia's / the rest of the world
Australia are also having RHD mustangs built for them
The 2,000 to the UK has been far surpassed i'd also like to hear the official number of how many Ford Mustangs have been build and how many have been ordered from [MENTION=18365]Andy Barratt[/MENTION] for UK markets only if possible please #Pray.
Also, you're assuming peak operating performance at 300 a day ;)

We're not the only Mustang market by any stretch of the imagination, one day might be spent doing 300 RHDs, another day might be spent pumping out LHDs of all variants.

On another note Tooley, the production plant will have peaks and troffs in output, however will probably have a typical daily amount to be produced.

And regarding your wait time, I was also the same, I ordered early August, I was told September for delivery (actually was told July/august, but told to hold till september or march as I wanted it on new plate months preferably). I've been contacted saying 11th November, however i'm currently awaiting a build date and i'm hopeful for it hitting within the next two working weeks. :)

OP
OP
tooley

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
300/day is the average over the last 10 years so it already takes account of peaks and troughs but my hope is that the learning curve for RHD production is now well and truly passed so quality standards have been established, reducing upfitting time.

Shouldn't take any longer on the line than LHD once everyone is up to speed, up fitters will get slicker and should be fewer quality issues, shipping times coming down so all looking promising.

not looking for miracles but it shouldn't be out of reach to expect the same sort of build times as the likes of BMW or Audi plus allowance for shipping

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
300/day is the average over the last 10 years so it already takes account of peaks and troughs but my hope is that the learning curve for RHD production is now well and truly passed so quality standards have been established, reducing upfitting time.

Shouldn't take any longer on the line than LHD once everyone is up to speed, up fitters will get slicker and should be fewer quality issues, shipping times coming down so all looking promising.

not looking for miracles but it shouldn't be out of reach to expect the same sort of build times as the likes of BMW or Audi plus allowance for shipping
We can but hope so :lol:! I meant 300 a day UK cars.

JB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback
Don't forget the Mustang shares the assembly line with the Fusion which is also selling quite well.

Sponsored

OP
OP
tooley

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
Don't forget the Mustang shares the assembly line with the Fusion which is also selling quite well.

Yep, but plant capacity is >200k cars per year operating two shifts so easily caters for Fusion as well.

They could even up it to three shifts presumably if demand was there

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, but plant capacity is >200k cars per year operating two shifts so easily caters for Fusion as well.

They could even up it to three shifts presumably if demand was there
There's also supply and demand at play, along with not wanting to flood the market, a business would rather have you shouting from the high heavens about their product for as long as possible than just drop it in your lap. Controlling the influx of mustangs is also beneficial.

Also, EU, being EU probably has some quota on the amount allowed in at certain times.

But you're right, should Ford opt to build all RHD cars, they could, in about 3 weeks...

OP
OP
tooley

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
There's also supply and demand at play, along with not wanting to flood the market, a business would rather have you shouting from the high heavens about their product for as long as possible than just drop it in your lap. Controlling the influx of mustangs is also beneficial.
Yep, ^^ spot on. Trick is to make it scarce enough to generate anticipation and desirability without p*ssing everyone off. :D

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My guess is that there is a limit to how many non domestic vehicles they will produce simply down to transport logistics. Say they did all of Europe's orders (L&RHD) in one hit, they still have to get them to the US docks and then onto boats and have to offload in Zeebrugge to undersea and then onward transport. There'd be a lot of finished cars sitting round in various yards that still wouldn't get to customers any quicker.

OP
OP
tooley

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
My guess is that there is a limit to how many non domestic vehicles they will produce simply down to transport logistics. Say they did all of Europe's orders (L&RHD) in one hit, they still have to get them to the US docks and then onto boats and have to offload in Zeebrugge to undersea and then onward transport. There'd be a lot of finished cars sitting round in various yards that still wouldn't get to customers any quicker.
Fair comment. Logistically difficult but not impossible. Just looked up Eurasian Highway and it can carry 6215 cars ! That's a big ship...
Sponsored