Sponsored

Completely flat battery

deep south

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB auto convertible & Citroen C3
My EB Auto has been sitting on the drive for just over a week; I needed to "pop to the shops" with my wife for some stuff, and it is a such a lovely sunny day decided to put the roof down.

Minor problem - put my hand into the door handle to unlock - nothing happened. Tried the other key, still nothing....

Got the spare key blade out, prised off the key cap, put the key into the slot, turned it - and the door still wouldn't unlock.

So I presume the car battery is completely flat. Good job the trip wasn't urgent...

Called Ford assistance, and they reckon they will have someone with me in an hour or so as I am not a "vulnerable" person. Fair enough.

I do wonder how they are going to get into it, though!

I'll keep you posted - just off to make a coffee. My neighbour with the Jag F-type is finding it amusing!
Sponsored

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Strange for it to die after only a week. Mine sits for 2 and starts 1st time. Make sure they check you battery condition for you.
Mine sits for a week, and also has the Thinkware hardwired, starts fine
fired her up yesterday and just let her run on the RS for 15mins

OP
OP

deep south

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The nice AA man turned up in less than 30 minutes; showed me that I was turning the key clockwise instead of anticlockwise to manually unlock the drivers door....
Checked the battery and it was under 2 volts - so pretty flat!

Gave me a jump, and got me running. Turned it all off and checked with naa gizmo and reckons there was a one amp draw....

Pleased 45 minute drive to put some juice back in and noticed the battery showed 12.5 to 14.5 volts as I drove around. I will call the dealer tomorrow to book it in for a check, the service isn't due for a couple of months.

And I also noticed that the lens glass on one of the fog lamps has had a stone through - so that is going to cost me a bit as well.

OP
OP

deep south

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh, I did leave it parked for almost three weeks in June when I was on holiday with no problems. I haven't made any mods to the car...

Sponsored

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Do you have any electronic device plugged into the OBDII port or anywhere else that may be drawing power?

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
I would suggest that any battery showing 2 volts is totally goosed:( and won't recover..

Once a battery drops below 8 volts, it's usually beyond long term recovery, so 2 volts is very bad:)

I'm not sure what Ah our batteries are, but I suspect around 40... so if you have a 1amp draw, that means the battery can supply 1amp for 40 hours...so at that rate it'll be flat again in less than 2 days..... you need to find out what's causing the draw, because a new battery will be shot as well...

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
Boot light always a favourite

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
S197s had/have an issue to do with the sound system remaining in in some circumstances and flattening the battery. Is there anything we can leave on by accident (or is there a setting which doesn't kill everything when you open the door after switch off?) :shrug:

Edit: Yes there is. If you are in the car with accessory power off, e.g. you've hit the button or opened the door; if you press the button on the audio controls the system energises. You can then exit the car, lock it, and it stays on. How long for, I don't know.

Could this be the problem, [MENTION=10783]deep south[/MENTION]?

Last edited:
OP
OP

deep south

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And just to close this down, I took it to the local Hendy Ford (not the store) who tested it; said it was OK; spent all day charging it; tested it again, and the test showed it was faulty and needs replacing.

Of course, the battery is on back order, so I will get it replaced when the 10K service is done in a few weeks - at the Ford Store. The local branch say they can't do any Mustang-specific work as they aren't trained on them...

I am attaching the two test reports.

Attachments

Sponsored

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
Meantime they could have got one from Halfords; even if it was temporary. :crazy:

OP
OP

deep south

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No urgency needed - I haven't had a problem with it since; sat for a week and started OK today; they reckon it is just a faulty battery... And hopefully a one-off.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
See i've let mine sit for 2 weeks before and it didn't go flat, however i have had the remote battery go flat; which was a bit of the pain in the arse!!!

Just go for a good run with the car, maybe a fair 50-100mile drive, the battery will be regenerated in no time.
If you take the car out for a 5min drive every week the batteries just going to deplete as the generator wont have recharged it enough.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
That's because you sitting on it mate :D
Think it was the cat!!! Was on the windowsill woke up to take girlfriend to an interview and the key weren't doing squat, and no spare as was at hers, nightmare :lol::lol::lol::lol:

That key fob in there is a right pain to turn, can't get any leverage on it at all to twist
Sponsored