Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
USAA claims to serve the military families yet my son who is currently at Ft. Campbell got a quote for his insurance from USAA when he was in Ft. Lewis and their quote was about $100 higher than State Farm for his Honda Fit (6 month premium). Obviously he stayed with State Farm.
They have way more services than just insurance but even they are bound by liability and risk. Having a higher rate than another company does not mean they donā€™t serve the military. They have to remain solvent.
Sponsored

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
Folks, it's where you live, and how much in claims insurance companies have had to pay out. Southern states have had a lot of storm damage lately. A relative of mine who lives just north of Naples said outside her community, streets are still lined with trash from the last hurricane. I read somewhere that many smaller insurance companies in FL actually went bankrupt paying out claims.

So if the area you live in has an usually high claims rate, even though you've had a clean record, you're still going to get swept along with everyone else.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Folks, it's where you live, and how much in claims insurance companies have had to pay out. Southern states have had a lot of storm damage lately. A relative of mine who lives just north of Naples said outside her community, streets are still lined with trash from the last hurricane. I read somewhere that many smaller insurance companies in FL actually went bankrupt paying out claims.

So if the area you live in has an usually high claims rate, even though you've had a clean record, you're still going to get swept along with everyone else.
I've already realized a saving of over $2,000 per year by shopping around. So, although I do mostly agree with your position, I was able to bring my premiums down to a reasonable level without taking cars off the road by shopping around.

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
I've already realized a saving of over $2,000 per year by shopping around. So, although I do mostly agree with your position, I was able to bring my premiums down to a reasonable level without taking cars off the road by shopping around.
Just make sure that you haven't compromised coverage in the process...

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Just make sure that you haven't compromised coverage in the process...
nope. The only problem here is the golf cart and the umbrella policy. The most I can get for the golf cart is 100/300. That doesn't make the cut for most umbrella policies.

So its either accept the risk as is or pay the crazy amount USAA is soaking me.

Sponsored

Tatonka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP, 2018 GT350SE, 2020 GT350 Heritage
I just finished 20 years with the Navy. We had USAA for a long time (Virginia, Florida, and Tennessee)but eventually we saw the light once we started to actually shop around. I wouldn't recommend USAA. There are better options out there.
We went through Geico for awhile but now we have been bundled with Travelors. I have had to use them for minor home stuff and have been very satisfied. They also covered our golf cart. It was a pain to get it written in but once we did, no issues. Our insurance just went up by $200 on our 3 vehicles. We called today and they said basically due to increases across the board.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I just finished 20 years with the Navy. We had USAA for a long time (Virginia, Florida, and Tennessee)but eventually we saw the light once we started to actually shop around. I wouldn't recommend USAA. There are better options out there.
We went through Geico for awhile but now we have been bundled with Travelors. I have had to use them for minor home stuff and have been very satisfied. They also covered our golf cart. It was a pain to get it written in but once we did, no issues. Our insurance just went up by $200 on our 3 vehicles. We called today and they said basically due to increases across the board.
I must say, customer service has been excellent with USAA, but that only goes so far. I will have a look at traveler's as well. Thank you.

Tatonka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP, 2018 GT350SE, 2020 GT350 Heritage
I must say, customer service has been excellent with USAA, but that only goes so far. I will have a look at traveler's as well. Thank you.
Yes sir. Their customer service was great and that was what kept us around. However, we only had one claim in 9 years. A canoe flew off a vehicle and scraped the side of my truck. We couldn't justify it with having ever increasing premiums and clear records on our part.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Hagerty is great if you have cars you donā€™t drive much. Unfortunately the 6-7000 miles per year I put on my GT500 is too much for them to insure.
Hagerty is best with limited use vehicles. The great thing about them is agreed values. I insure three vehicles with them, and the annual rub is only a little over a grand.

As for the drivers and properties, I use American Family. I have yet to find anything cheaper, and I even had a multi-company broker take a look at my policies once and he told me flat out he couldn't beat them.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜09 GT500KR & ā€˜16 GT350 Track Pack & ā€˜20 GT500 HP
Hagerty is great if you have cars you donā€™t drive much. Unfortunately the 6-7000 miles per year I put on my GT500 is too much for them to insure.
I have been with them for about as long. Come Monday, I will start calling around. I am seriously thinking about taking my GT350s off the road altogether. If I want to go out for a drive, the 500 usually gets the nod anyway. I will see what some phone calls come up with.
I have used Grundy Worldwide for all of my Shelbyā€™s since day one. USAA was always too high for these types of cars.
Still have USAA for daily drivers and homeowners. Noticed my homeowners policy went up 20% this renewal. Yikes.

Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜09 GT500KR & ā€˜16 GT350 Track Pack & ā€˜20 GT500 HP
USAA claims to serve the military families yet my son who is currently at Ft. Campbell got a quote for his insurance from USAA when he was in Ft. Lewis and their quote was about $100 higher than State Farm for his Honda Fit (6 month premium). Obviously he stayed with State Farm.
USAA started out as military officers only and the rates were unbeatable. They added family and enlisted troops to the eligibility pool. But in reality, the rates for those folks arenā€™t that great.
They are also spending $Mā€™s in political contributions now along with even more for all those commercials you see. Being local to USAA HQ here, we see and hear a lot more grumbling about how itā€™s being run.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I looked at grundy as well. Not bad, but they don't offer stacked coverage. I believe the umbrella policies may require stacked in FL. Hagerty was about $150 more, but offered stacked.

Bruce 8858

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 #3009
We have 3 vehicles including a 2021 Mach 1. Currently with Auto Owners paying about $3k per year but have $500k liability.

I looked at Hagerty for the Mach 1. They had a 5k mileage limit and wanted as much as Auto Owners. Grundy had unlimited milage, zero deductible on comprehensive and collision, $250 towing, trip interruption and $500k liability for $851 for $70k coverage. This was roughly half of what Hagerty wanted. Main problem is as noted above their insurance is not stacked.

I use an independent insurance agent so I donā€™t have to call multiple companies for quotes.

We also live in Florida so Iā€™m holding my breath on our home insurance. Weā€™re with Nationwide and they have been pretty decent so far.

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'm a walker so wouldn't know. Are you required to have golf cart insurance in FL? Is it only necessary if you play speed golf?

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I'm a walker so wouldn't know. Are you required to have golf cart insurance in FL? Is it only necessary if you play speed golf?
Once it has a license plate on it and assigned a VIN, it is considered a low speed vehicle. It requires the same insurance as if it was an automobile. It is illegal to drive a golf cart on public roads.

So yea, it needs to be insured.
Sponsored