ahduckit

Big timin in a small town
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB mustang
First time going to a 1/4 mile track. Any tips and useful knowledge for a noob anyone?
Sponsored

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Being relatively new at it myself, here are a few tips I've learned:

- Don't drive through the water box.
- Only spin the tires enough to get debris off.
- Smoking street tires (line lock or otherwise) makes them more slick.
- If you are in a manual, start off at idle and accelerate from there.
- Start your launch on the last yellow, don't wait for green
- Don't expect great numbers.
- Don't hesitate to ask other drivers questions
- Have fun. :)

Mr Monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Premium
Being relatively new at it myself, here are a few tips I've learned:

- Don't drive through the water box.
- Only spin the tires enough to get debris off.
- Smoking street tires (line lock or otherwise) makes them more slick.
- Start your launch on the last yellow, don't wait for green
- Don't expect great numbers.
- Don't hesitate to ask other drivers questions
- Have fun. :)
Great advise, you must be a quick learner or a great listener. I've been running my cars at the drags for 40 years & I would of gave the same advise.

OP
OP
ahduckit

ahduckit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB mustang
I'm going to be running some drag radials so I doubt I'll avoid the water box. Thanks for the advice! Hoping I can hit 13.8!

:headbang::cheers:

Mr Monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Premium
Drag Radials do changes things a bit. Have you tried launching with the DRs cold? If so, how much wheel spin? I would still drive around the waterbox and back into it if needed. A big smokey burnout may be fun but it may not help if you don't have the torque or rpms to take advantage of all that sticky rubber.

Should be fun learning the car. Enjoy then report back with what you learn.

Last edited:

Sponsored

AMWill

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Track Pack 5.0
First time going to a 1/4 mile track. Any tips and useful knowledge for a noob anyone?
I'm going to be running some drag radials so I doubt I'll avoid the water box. Thanks for the advice! Hoping I can hit 13.8!

:headbang::cheers:
Hey duck,

First of all, get ready to have some fun!

Since you will be on radials, I would definitely go through the water box, do a nice smokey burnout and then the launching aspect is all trial and error!

I have found my sweet spot at around 4k RPM and slipping the clutch but it all depends on the track, prep, driver, tires, etc!

Go out there, have some fun, and report back!

Let me know if you ever need anything :cheers:

-Will

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Give it time to cool off between runs or you will just see times get worse and worse on the stock IC

Also if it's just a test and tune don't worry about rushing your launch because of the lights. Your reaction time won't effect your actual ET

AdrianMAK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.makperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY Mustang GT Premium
1)
Most importantly, turn Advance Trac Off. You wont even be able to do a burnout if its on.

2)
Try to relax as difficult as it may be, everything will happen easier if you are enjoying it. Also remember you are bound to screw up at some point, if it happens forget about it quick and go at it again.

3)
When you do your burnout, let them start smoking(you do not need a John FOrce burnout for the tires to be effective.). Once they are smoking just roll forward and out of the water still under power.

4)
If you are going for ET, do not worry about the tree. RT does not affect ET. You can worry about RT when you have everything else figured out.

5)
Lastly don't be scared to run the car, the only way to get better is practicing. You do not need an hour between runs top let the car cool off. These things are brand new and will handle a beating.

xfyre101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`15 CO PP GT
Can you explain this a bit more? why is this.

Mr Monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Premium
Hey duck,

First of all, get ready to have some fun!

Since you will be on radials, I would definitely go through the water box, do a nice smokey burnout and then the launching aspect is all trial and error!

I have found my sweet spot at around 4k RPM and slipping the clutch but it all depends on the track, prep, driver, tires, etc!

Go out there, have some fun, and report back!

Let me know if you ever need anything :cheers:

-Will
Will,
Have you ran an EB auto like the OP has? I don't have a lot seat time behind an EB auto but it felt pretty peppy down low but didn't pull very hard. Do you know what stall the EB auto torque convertor has?

Sponsored

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
One tip I was given about this that makes perfect sense that I never thought of: go around the water box and back into it with the rear wheels only. The logic being if you drive through it your front tires are going to pic up some of that water and potentially just drip it in front of your rears as you are staging...

Can you explain this a bit more? why is this.
The first time around if you are on stock tires and just rev to say 3k and drop the clutch you are going to spin, wheel hop, and generally have a bad experience on your first run. Get a feel for the whole experience and then start playing with launch technique.

AMWill

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Track Pack 5.0
Will,
Have you ran an EB auto like the OP has? I don't have a lot seat time behind an EB auto but it felt pretty peppy down low but didn't pull very hard. Do you know what stall the EB auto torque convertor has?
Hey Monte,

I actually didn't notice the "A6" in his Sig, that's my fault :headbonk:

Luckily, I have personally raced our Auto Ecoboost and these things are definitely fun! Especially down low.

With the auto, I would definitely load the suspension (hold the gas and the break to the point just before they start to spin) and then let it rip! These things are known to hook and go!

P.S- Make sure to fully turn off advance-trac!

-Will

OP
OP
ahduckit

ahduckit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB mustang
I can't wait to go. A little nervous but it will pass after the first pass. Thanks for advice.

Rough Hollow Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Convertible
Since you're in New Mexico, I would recommend trying to get and early morning run down the track as your EB will appreciate the cooler ambient temperature. Also try to find the highest octane unleaded you can find to fill your tank no more than 1/2 full. Be warned that after you have a great track day...you will be Hooked! Enjoy.

OP
OP
ahduckit

ahduckit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB mustang
Unfortunately our closest track is in Amarillo. It's a night race so I should be in colder temps by the time I get there. The highest octane we can get is 90 so I'm going to run some torco
Sponsored