Sponsored

First Look: 2015 Steeda Mustang Lowering Springs (Installed)

Ryan1112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
How will these change suspension geometry? On my S197 I had to use the X5 ball joints to get the camber curve corrected from lowering. Then rear control arm relocation brackets to regain traction. The stock shocks just weren't enough for the higher spring rates so then came koni shocks and struts. Not to mention the bump steer kit to correct the bump steer caused by the ball joints.

I have to admit though after installing all that I started winning autocrosses.
Sponsored

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
What is the actual curb clearance on the front with these on? 7" instead of the regular 8" or does it pitch the car down so you lose more on the front end?

Youngmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt DIB
Noob question but how is the ride quality with lowering springs? I know they say there no loss in ride quality but is that true.

Bryman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Noob question but how is the ride quality with lowering springs? I know they say there no loss in ride quality but is that true.
I would like to know this as well. Never lowered a car before.

Pie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0
From my experience it'll be ok for awhile on stock shocks. Lowering springs will wear your shocks out faster. How much faster depends on your driving style and roads

Sponsored

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
Your Steeda site says the springs are for GT. Will you be coming out with an EcoBoost model?
Absolutely, there will be a version for the EcoBoost as well. This is one of several test vehicles - Comp. Orange ftw! :thumbsup:

How will these change suspension geometry? On my S197 I had to use the X5 ball joints to get the camber curve corrected from lowering. Then rear control arm relocation brackets to regain traction. The stock shocks just weren't enough for the higher spring rates so then came koni shocks and struts. Not to mention the bump steer kit to correct the bump steer caused by the ball joints.

I have to admit though after installing all that I started winning autocrosses.
We will have parts coming in the near future to fine-tune the adjustment, although there aren’t any negative affects with lowering it one inch as-is - it won't disrupt the suspension geometry. Also, bumpsteer kits are one of the products coming soon.

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06/Z07 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
David,

This morning I was chatting with someone on your site about these springs and got an interesting answer. I was asking specifics about these versus the stock GT Perf. Pack springs and the person I was connected to told me that they would work, but he recommended waiting "a couple weeks to a month" as there was another version coming. He said he couldn't say more about it, but said that I "would not regret the wait".

Can you expand on this? Was he mis-informed, or is another version of spring for for the GT cars coming?

95cobby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
David,

This morning I was chatting with someone on your site about these springs and got an interesting answer. I was asking specifics about these versus the stock GT Perf. Pack springs and the person I was connected to told me that they would work, but he recommended waiting "a couple weeks to a month" as there was another version coming. He said he couldn't say more about it, but said that I "would not regret the wait".

Can you expand on this? Was he mis-informed, or is another version of spring for for the GT cars coming?
Interested in the answer to this as I'm looking to pick up a set!

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Once those springs settle they will be at the perfect height.

Very, VERY sexy!!!!!!!

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
David,

It looks like the sport springs are coming first which will work for most drivers but they will likely have some more racing variety springs and spring and adjustable shock sets coming soon since they will want to race their products. I've used Steeda ultra light springs in two cars, a little stiff for road driving, but awesome on the track. Not bad for the strip either when used with adjustable shocks.

Sponsored

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
David,

Interested in the answer to this as I'm looking to pick up a set!
Hi guys, sorry for the delayed response as we've been prepping for SEMA this week. There will indeed be two versions of Steeda lowering springs for the S550, we will update you on the second version as soon as it's available!

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06/Z07 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Thanks for the response. Holding on as long as I can, but I have this burning credit card in my wallet making it uncomfortable. :)

JoeC1982

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ATS 2.0T
Yeah, makes sense, but the track lap with Randy Pobst, has him complaining the stock PP suspension was under-damped, if I'm not mistaken.
Adding another 25% stiffer springs, is only going to make that worse.
Although, I doubt I will ever push my car as hard as Randy did, and if I do start doing more track events, I most likely will be looking at a full coil-over set.
This is a very important question, i would like to know where the 25% number came from and if any shock dyno's were done to determine it or if they just decided to take the stock and add 25% which may be "fine" but is definitely not the ideal way to come up with rates for lowering springs if you are concerned with performance.

I know Steeda has been around forever and know more about Mustang's than i ever will but i learned a lot about suspension tuning when i had my FRS and i just would prefer to see some of the technical background on where the numbers came from.

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
This is a very important question, i would like to know where the 25% number came from and if any shock dyno's were done to determine it or if they just decided to take the stock and add 25% which may be "fine" but is definitely not the ideal way to come up with rates for lowering springs if you are concerned with performance.

I know Steeda has been around forever and know more about Mustang's than i ever will but i learned a lot about suspension tuning when i had my FRS and i just would prefer to see some of the technical background on where the numbers came from.
Thanks for reaching out! If someone is mentioning the stock PP suspension seem under-damped, that's their opinion - we've been racing Mustangs for years (and still do) and various drivers have differing opinions about the same suspension setups.

Our engineering team did a comparative analysis to the OE springs and yes we've been utilizing shock dynos when testing for the past 3 decades.

With a 25% increase in spring rate over the OE springs, the factory shocks and struts are more than adequate. If you were to increase the spring rate past 50% or so, it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the shocks and struts. We are actually working on Steeda shocks and struts as well.

JoeC1982

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ATS 2.0T
Thanks for reaching out! If someone is mentioning the stock PP suspension seem under-damped, that's their opinion - we've been racing Mustangs for years (and still do) and various drivers have differing opinions about the same suspension setups.

Our engineering team did a comparative analysis to the OE springs and yes we've been utilizing shock dynos when testing for the past 3 decades.

With a 25% increase in spring rate over the OE springs, the factory shocks and struts are more than adequate. If you were to increase the spring rate past 50% or so, it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the shocks and struts. We are actually working on Steeda shocks and struts as well.
Thanks David, i appreciate the information and its good to know it wasn't increased by some arbitrary number.

The reviews on the website are very good also, can't wait to see what else you guys have coming for the EB cars.
Sponsored