Finally, a mustang in Japan.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I have been in Japan for a few weeks now. I'm surprised to not have seen any Mustangs, let alone Ford products anywhere. I read Ford pulled out somewhere around 2016.

So walking along the streets of Hiroshima, I came upon a black GT.

20240328_151603.jpg
20240328_151554.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Correction..... not a GT.

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I don't know what the car scene is like down in Hiroshima as I never made it down that far, but plenty of Mustangs to be found up in Tokyo & Kanagawa. A friend of mine over there has owned a 03 cobra for well over a decade now, it replaced his JDM 97 cobra that got totaled.

These are all back from my trip in 2018

My rental car and his terminator

DSC_0322-X4.jpg

DSC_0486-X4.jpg

This saleen was driven by a lady, I've seen this car pop up in many of the American car meets my friend goes to

DSC_0496-X4.jpg

DSC_0474-X4.jpg

This one was at the megaweb toyota showcase

DSC_0273-X4.jpg

This one I saw at a late night Daikoku PA meet, young kid owned it, lots of lights and he had a Borla Atak exhaust on it. We chatted briefly, I was showing him photos of my car on my phone

DSC_1736-X4.jpg

From what I learned while over there, the most popular imported American brand is actually Jeep, and I saw a lot of crappy model Jeeps on the roads over there (Liberty, Compass, etc.)

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I don't know what the car scene is like down in Hiroshima as I never made it down that far, but plenty of Mustangs to be found up in Tokyo & Kanagawa. A friend of mine over there has owned a 03 cobra for well over a decade now, it replaced his JDM 97 cobra that got totaled.

DSC_0322-X4.jpg

DSC_0486-X4.jpg

This saleen was driven by a lady, I've seen this car pop up in many of the American car meets my friend goes to

DSC_0496-X4.jpg

DSC_0474-X4.jpg

DSC_0273-X4.jpg

This one I saw at a late night Daikoku PA meet, young kid owned it, lots of lights and he had a Borla Atak exhaust on it. We chatted briefly, I was showing him photos of my car on my phone

DSC_1736-X4.jpg

From what I learned while over there, the most popular imported American brand is actually Jeep, and I saw a lot of crappy model Jeeps on the roads over there (Liberty, Compass, etc.)
I've seen a couple of jeeps.....

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)

DSC_0322-X4.jpg

DSC_0486-X4.jpg

DSC_0496-X4.jpg

DSC_0474-X4.jpg

DSC_0273-X4.jpg

DSC_1736-X4.jpg

Isn't that the parking lot where the cops keep raiding and chasing people away? I forget the name of the meeting spot.

Sponsored

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
Isn't that the parking lot where the cops keep raiding and chasing people away? I forget the name of the meeting spot.
Daikoku is a huge meet at the service station, it actually does have a police station on site haha. Normally there's no trouble, certainly not the two times I was lucky to visit so I'd be surprised if it's getting shutdown but always possible I guess.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Daikoku is a huge meet at the service station, it actually does have a police station on site haha. Normally there's no trouble, certainly not the two times I was lucky to visit so I'd be surprised if it's getting shutdown but always possible I guess.
I recall your recommendation to go there, but I looked into it and saw that the cops are cracking down on that meet. I got into tokyo too late to try to catch it anyway.

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 Carbonized Gray

DSC_0322-X4.jpg

DSC_0486-X4.jpg

DSC_0496-X4.jpg

DSC_0474-X4.jpg

DSC_0273-X4.jpg

DSC_1736-X4.jpg

A termi in Japan is awesome

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Anything cool/interesting in the domestic market over there that we don’t get here in the States?

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
I recall your recommendation to go there, but I looked into it and saw that the cops are cracking down on that meet. I got into tokyo too late to try to catch it anyway.
damn that's a blow for car lovers

edit: ah folks climbing fences, being a menace, behaving like they are not in Japan. Says it all really. Damned shame

Last edited:

Sponsored

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package
Lived in Tokyo from 1991 - 1994. Only US cars I saw were black 1970s Sedan de Villes favored by the yakuza at the time.

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP

Historically the police have always showed up when the meetups got HUGE and they'd clear people out. But that has been the case for years and years. AFAIK that is usually the night time meets as well, the Sunday day time meet I went to with my friend Yuichi was an older crowd. Never had any issues with the police.

The thing to keep in mind is Daikoku Futo PA is an active rest stop for travelers, so if the entire lot fills up with people having a car meet, then the truck drivers and travelers have no where to park. That is usually when the police tell everyone its time to move on.

Anything cool/interesting in the domestic market over there that we don’t get here in the States?
Well, that rental wagon of mine was a twin turbo, AWD, 5spd manual with an 8000rpm redline. I think that qualifies.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Well, that rental wagon of mine was a twin turbo, AWD, 5spd manual with an 8000rpm redline. I think that qualifies.
Yeah I would say it does. I like a good wagon, don’t see many around here anymore.

kellyreno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I have been in Japan for a few weeks now. I'm surprised to not have seen any Mustangs, let alone Ford products anywhere. I read Ford pulled out somewhere around 2016.

So walking along the streets of Hiroshima, I came upon a black GT.

20240328_151603.jpg
20240328_151554.jpg
Made in America Tested in Japan
Sponsored