Feels mustang is TOO HEAVY... Need some advice

BA939P

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350 & 14GT
More I drive my 15 Mustang pp GT or experience friends cars(m4, 435,golf r ... even Camaro), more I feel my mustang is too big, heavy and not agile enough.:doh:

My current mod is only lower springs and wheel spacers, and just ordered Steeda Pro-Action dampers and BMR Cradle bushing lockout kit and install them very soon. I just putted lower control arm bearing on the list.

I really want to improve the overall driving experience, but don't really know what mods should I work on. Really need you guys help.

Thanks! :thumbsup::cheers:
Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
That is because it is big and heavy.

If you really want to make it more agile, then the mods you have coming will certainly help as the car responds well to lower and uprated dampers. also consider bigger swaybars.

But the best solution would be to reduce the weight by around 150-200lbs
- Lighter battery
- Lighter wheels
- 2-piece disc
- 1pc driveshaft
- Some lightweight bucket seats
- GT350R rear seat delete
- Lightweight carbon hood

That should save you quite a bit of weight which will help for sure and of course less weight means better mpg, less wear on consumables etc. :)

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
More I drive my 15 Mustang pp GT or experience friends cars(m4, 435,golf r ... even Camaro), more I feel my mustang is too big, heavy and not agile enough.:doh:

My current mod is only lower springs and wheel spacers, and just ordered Steeda Pro-Action dampers and BMR Cradle bushing lockout kit and install them very soon. I just putted lower control arm bearing on the list.

I really want to improve the overall driving experience, but don't really know what mods should I work on. Really need you guys help.

Add some handling rate springs (200+ lb/in front and 850+ rear) with those dampers and everything you've got there and I doubt you'll still feel that way. I chose GT350R front and BMR SP085 rear.

Excellent list so far.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
IME the LCA bearing and toe knuckle bearing made my car feel lighter. The shocks will also help.

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
IME the LCA bearing and toe knuckle bearing made my car feel lighter. The shocks will also help.
Second that...LCA and toe/knuckle bearing. Specially the LCA, made the car feel a lot lighter giving it a more sports car feel.

Springs, dampers, and cb005, all of those will help making the car more nimble and responsive. Add in some bracing (strut/cowl, PP lower k, jacking rails, and bmr 2/4 point) will make some difference but it's not drastic).

Honestly, I don't think you can get rid of the crown victoria feel just by cutting weight, it's the mushy suspension that makes it feel that way. The biggest contributor I think is the LCA and CB005, plus a nice set of springs and dampers.

I have all of the above and IMO, it's performing as good or better than a regular Camaro SS...maybe not quite as an 1LE, but I haven't driven one.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Also the steering rack ratio is not that tight either. It's a comfortable GT car.
Anyway, you can stiffen up things and switch out tires or even bigger wheels to make everything tighter.

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6

My 'lightweight package" would go something like this...

carbon fiber hood, front fenders, doors and trunk
lightweight rims
rear seat delete
1 pc driveshaft
and I would consider tightening up the IRS and the chassis as this can make the the car 'feel' smaller and more nimble

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
Second that...LCA and toe/knuckle bearing. Specially the LCA, made the car feel a lot lighter giving it a more sports car feel.

Springs, dampers, and cb005, all of those will help making the car more nimble and responsive. Add in some bracing (strut/cowl, PP lower k, jacking rails, and bmr 2/4 point) will make some difference but it's not drastic).

Honestly, I don't think you can get rid of the crown victoria feel just by cutting weight, it's the mushy suspension that makes it feel that way. The biggest contributor I think is the LCA and CB005, plus a nice set of springs and dampers.

I have all of the above and IMO, it's performing as good or better than a regular Camaro SS...maybe not quite as an 1LE, but I haven't driven one.
I second this!

Palmtrees&2.3s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Duston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Magnetic Bass
How has nobody mentioned a lighter exhaust? That's an important area for weight reduction. You can save 30+ lbs with the lighter exhausts. As far as handling, message someone at steeda. They're friendly and will advise you what to do based on what you want to do with the car,

Boddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Isn't it lighter than the m4 and about the same as the Camaro +/- a bit depending on options? I thought m4s had a curb weight of slightly over 4k lbs.

Sponsored

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium

I don't think people realize how harsh the 1le is. For a heavy car, it handles very well, but you still know it's heavy. I really enjoyed my 1le(5th gen) , but it wasn't really a daily driver. I do feel Ford missed the mark for a "performance pack car". It's not nearly as tight and agile as it should be. The brakes and torsen are great upgrades, but the steering ratios need to be updated, steering feel, the tightness of the rear needs to be upped a lot.

Doing the diff lockout kit and that cradle lockout kit have drastically changed the performance of the rear. I think I'll do vertical links next. Then the BMR front sub frame kit (can't remember the part number)

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Carbon fiber body parts are going to be extremely expensive for a small return on weight reduction (and I don't think doors pass side impact testing). Wheels/rotors/exhaust and the rear seat delete if you don't plan on using them are where I would look.

Legionofone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Base
Tube subframes!

AJ ROJO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Isn't it lighter than the m4 and about the same as the Camaro +/- a bit depending on options? I thought m4s had a curb weight of slightly over 4k lbs.
Depends on if your talking 5th gen or 6the gen. The 5th, yes pretty close to the same but the 1LE is AMAZING for a performance car. I would love to have my mustang feel and performed like my 1LE did. The 6th gen is much lighter then the 5th gen and has more power and a more solid body/chassis as well. I would have one if the damn thing was not so ugly.

AJ ROJO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I don't think people realize how harsh the 1le is. For a heavy car, it handles very well, but you still know it's heavy. I really enjoyed my 1le(5th gen) , but it wasn't really a daily driver. I do feel Ford missed the mark for a "performance pack car". It's not nearly as tight and agile as it should be. The brakes and torsen are great upgrades, but the steering ratios need to be updated, steering feel, the tightness of the rear needs to be upped a lot.

Doing the diff lockout kit and that cradle lockout kit have drastically changed the performance of the rear. I think I'll do vertical links next. Then the BMR front sub frame kit (can't remember the part number)
I had mine as a daily driver but never did I feel the car was harsh...and I lived in Spokane WA at the time (horrible roads). I guess it's true when people say harshness and nvh is subjective :shrug: it does handle pretty damn amazing for how much of a pig it was though.
Sponsored