Feedback from AZ flex fuel tune members

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Looking for feedback from those in our environment running flex fuel tunes (with or without long tubes) and switch between our awesome 91 octane and e85. And thoughts about running it in our brutal summers.

Considering The following:

A. running catted long tubes with ff tune or
B. Waiting to see what Ford Performance offers for the 18 GT in the form of power packs or
C. Waiting til the mid point of mpp warranty and going Roush sc with the 3/36 or
D. Some hybrid combo of the above or
E. None of the above and who knows :headbonk:
Sponsored

Frenchy480

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt pp shadow black
I'd be interested to hear feedback too. I have a 2016 gt performance pack, plan on doing a flex tune with aed real soon. I'm keeping it simple for now, catback exhaust, stock headers, pmas intake, 47# injectors, and possible the 2018 intake manifold. Our 91 octane is apparently some of, if not the worst in the country. And we have e54 but should see a bit of an increase hopefully.

Olivas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ernest
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT w/PP
In the process of getting a tune from AED right now. Installing my '18 manifold this weekend. Currently, running the SCT 91 canned tuned with JLT cai. As part of the tune process Shaun from AED had me send him some baseline logs, and sure enough said he was seeing knock in the logs. So yeah great 91 here in AZ :doh:. He asked if I was planning on going the E85 route, but opted not to as don't have injectors yet. However, thinking may need to move that up the list.

Also heard may depend on where you get gas, and to stay away from Fry's (Kroger), Safeway, Costco, etc., and rather stick to Shell, Chevron, BP. My last fillup was Costco, guess next time gonna be somewhere else.

OP
OP
AZ18yote

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
In the process of getting a tune from AED right now. Installing my '18 manifold this weekend. Currently, running the SCT 91 canned tuned with JLT cai. As part of the tune process Shaun from AED had me send him some baseline logs, and sure enough said he was seeing knock in the logs. So yeah great 91 here in AZ :doh:. He asked if I was planning on going the E85 route, but opted not to as don't have injectors yet. However, thinking may need to move that up the list.

Also heard may depend on where you get gas, and to stay away from Fry's (Kroger), Safeway, Costco, etc., and rather stick to Shell, Chevron, BP. My last fillup was Costco, guess next time gonna be somewhere else.
Very Nice! Please share your feedback post tune.

I almost pulled the trigger on memorial day sale for ARH catted lth, 47lb injectors, Roush CAI (I like their 18 design that's enclosed so can avoid high IATs and also water from our monsoons) and Lund FF tune with nguage. Unfortunately did not due to some stuff that came up with new house build. Also wanting to see if Corsa will come out with a catted version of their lth to mate with my extremes. Will see what July 4th sales there are too.

Not sure where in Phoenix you are but the Arco on 16th st and Thomas still has some of the best prices on 91 in the valley and I've always had positive experience with their fuel.

Frenchy480

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice! I'm still undecided on getting the 2018 manifold first then getting the tune later after I can save up for that, or just do the tune right now with the 47# injectors and e85 (just anxious to do something lol). Let me know how that 18 manifold works out for you if you can, very interested to see.

Interesting on what you learned about the gas stations. I was going to Costco too. Maybe I'll try shell or chevron. My friend who tunes the frs/brz/Toyota 86 locally said definitely go the e85 route if possible. He tested 91 around several stations in phoenix and the east valley, and said some costco in Scottsdale had the best 91 octane because it's always fresh and they run through the gas so fast. I'm not trying to drive all the way up to Scottsdale every time I need to fill up though. I'll try shell this weekend.

Sponsored

Olivas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ernest
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT w/PP
Just for reference.

Frenchy480

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool, appreciate the video. Love his videos, just hadn't watched that one yet.

Olivas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ernest
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT w/PP
So gone through a couple tune revisions with Shaun from AED this week, whole process has been super smooth and super easy. Been great working with him, always responded in timely manner to all my questions. I'd do my datalogs and send them to him first thing in the morning (before it gets too warm), and he'd generally have the next revision to me within an hour. Great service, can't say enough about it.

Originally choose them opposed to Lund because of issues I've heard with Lund tuning GT350 throttle body (which I installed with my '18 manifold). Even first revision felt great and had no driveability issues, Shaun just wanted to make some small tweaks. But yes, his recommendation was still to add octane while racing, so will probably be keeping an eye out for any good deals on injectors in order to make the E85 jump.

Frenchy480

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice, glad to hear it all worked out, especially not having any driveability issues. Sounds like a great setup. I actually purchased the flex tune from aed a couple days ago. Did my initial datalogs, which Shaun found some false knock most likely caused from my catback setup.

I need to find/fix the cause of the knock, install the cai and injectors and load up the tune this weekend. Its just a regular gas tune first, then I'll send in datalogs, and get the flex tune after that checks out. I agree, Shaun has been on top of it in every aspect. Glad I went with aed. I'll let you know how the flex tune works out.

OP
OP
AZ18yote

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Great to hear guys. What handhelds are you using with AED tune? Does AED allow for ongoing revisions like the Steeda lifetime tune program?

Sucks about the knock issue hope that gets identified quickly.

Hope there is some dyno time in the near future to track progress?

Sponsored

Frenchy480

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm using the bullydog bdx. Bullydog and sct are all the same went with bullydog because there was a 50 off special going on. Not sure about the revisions. I believe you only pay extra for major upgrades, but not 100% certain. I paid 250 for the performance tune and 100 extra for the flex fuel tune.

Definitely wouldnt mind hitting the dyno up soon after to see what get from the e54. Having that 2018 on flex fuel would be real nice.

Olivas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ernest
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT w/PP
Where is AED located ?
Believe they are out of CA.

Great to hear guys. What handhelds are you using with AED tune? Does AED allow for ongoing revisions like the Steeda lifetime tune program?

Sucks about the knock issue hope that gets identified quickly.

Hope there is some dyno time in the near future to track progress?
Using the SCT x4 here. No lifetime revisions, want to say 90 days on revisions for initial tune. You can check them out here, have pricing listed in regards to tunes. Verified with Shaun already, when I want to upgrade to a flex fuel tune it'll just be a $100 charge and don't have to pay the whole price over again.

https://www.advancedenginedevelopment.com/

OP
OP
AZ18yote

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Believe they are out of CA.

Using the SCT x4 here. No lifetime revisions, want to say 90 days on revisions for initial tune. You can check them out here, have pricing listed in regards to tunes. Verified with Shaun already, when I want to upgrade to a flex fuel tune it'll just be a $100 charge and don't have to pay the whole price over again.

https://www.advancedenginedevelopment.com/
Awesome will check it out. Waiting to see what the 18 tune looks like for Steeda. Its down to them, Lund or AED.

OP
OP
AZ18yote

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Steeda is using the SCT BDX for the new tunes. That handheld looks nice. With lifetime tunes for $399. Pretty good deal. I also like the nguage for Lund. I'd probably go BDX for AED too if given the choice.
Sponsored