Sponsored

False economy of the ecoboost.

dandar

Threads
Reaction score
I was going to be more eloquent in writing this post but it quickly turned into TLDR so:

Premium gas is $.60-70 more (yesterday comparison of 4 gas stations in CT) which translates 3-5mpg hit in fuel economy compared to 87 octane. To get a 300HP Mustang, the V6 is the more economical option.

According to C&D:
2011 V6 Mustang combined fuel economy: 18mpg
2014 EB Mustang combined fuel economy: 19mpg

The lower V6 EPA numbers this year are probably due to higher final drive ratio 2015 model plus the fact that it's the manufacturers that give EPA the numbers, not the EPA testing every new model. If you did not know that see:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-truth-about-epa-city-highway-mpg-estimates
Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I don't think the premium gas affects the MPG. It does effect the HP and TQ. Remember reading this somewhere when reading about the * that usually comes with HP/TQ claims. I also think the EPA #s were done with regular gasoline.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I don't think the premium gas affects the MPG. It does effect the HP and TQ. Remember reading this somewhere when reading about the * that usually comes with HP/TQ claims. I also think the EPA #s were done with regular gasoline.
That's not the point being made here.

If you get 20 mpg on premium gas that costs you $4.00 a gallon, then you're spending $0.20 per mile on gas. If you're using regular gas that only costs $3.40 a gallon, then you only need to get 17 mpg to be spending $0.20 per mile on gas.

Boogeyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT w/ PP
Umm... your numbers are off quite a bit. Those look more like city mpgs, and it's a 2015 ecoboost not 2014.

You are partially right about the reason behind the lower v6 feul economy this year but its also due to greater drivetrain loss.

ramairgt1

15 GT PP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Mustang GT PP2
You could say the same argument for Diesel cars vs gas.

Sponsored

OP
OP

dandar

Threads
Reaction score
That's not the point being made here.

If you get 20 mpg on premium gas that costs you $4.00 a gallon, then you're spending $0.20 per mile on gas. If you're using regular gas that only costs $3.40 a gallon, then you only need to get 17 mpg to be spending $0.20 per mile on gas.
Correct.

geokots

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang EB Premium
To get a 300HP Mustang, the V6 is the more economical option.
Then buy a V6.
Without exception
everyone here knows the EB needs 93 or suffers a performance hit
everyone here knows the price is higher for Premium gas

Why do threads like this keep popping up.
Yes I understand that V6 enthusiasts got screwed by not having the features of the other car.
Yes I understand that Ford is moving in a new direction and it's away from the V6.

Between V6ers and their inferiority complex and GTers with their must be a V8, sound like a V8 or it's not a Mustang elitist attitude. This stuff is getting old and tired.

If you want a V6, buy one.
If you want a V8, buy one.

EcoNation understand the good and bad. We love cars which is why I'm here practically all day.

All 3 mustangs are good for the right person. Can't we all just get along :frusty:

OP
OP

dandar

Threads
Reaction score
Umm... your numbers are off quite a bit. Those look more like city mpgs, and it's a 2015 ecoboost not 2014.

You are partially right about the reason behind the lower v6 feul economy this year but its also due to greater drivetrain loss.

Those are overall numbers that C&D got through their testing. These are actual real world numbers not EPA numbers fudged by manufacturers.

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
What kills me is the same person who takes issue with 3-4 cents per gallon or a few mpg, has no problem spending $6 everyday for a single cup of coffee and $3 for 16oz of water.

I really believe if you are selecting a Mustang model based on its fuel efficiency, you should be looking elsewhere altogether.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
What kills me is the same person who takes issue with 3-4 cents per gallon or a few mpg, has no problem spending $6 everyday for a single cup of coffee and $3 for 16oz of water.

I really believe if you are selecting a Mustang model based on its fuel efficiency, you should be looking elsewhere altogether.
>generalizations

Sponsored

geokots

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang EB Premium

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Then buy a V6.
Without exception
everyone here knows the EB needs 93 or suffers a performance hit
everyone here knows the price is higher for Premium gas

Why do threads like this keep popping up.
Yes I understand that V6 enthusiasts got screwed by not having the features of the other car.
Yes I understand that Ford is moving in a new direction and it's away from the V6.

Between V6ers and their inferiority complex and GTers with their must be a V8, sound like a V8 or it's not a Mustang elitist attitude. This stuff is getting old and tired.

If you want a V6, buy one.
If you want a V8, buy one.

EcoNation understand the good and bad. We love cars which is why I'm here practically all day.

All 3 mustangs are good for the right person. Can't we all just get along :frusty:
There is bar none an attitude towards the EB...it's unavoidable from the GT group unfortunately.

Luckily I'll get to see, drive, ride in both next Wed so I'll make my decision on ordering then.

But I do agree that Ford should have offered the V6 in Premium trim. It's like they know they won't sell any EB if the V6 is offered in Premium which is somewhat telling about their attitude.

Boogeyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT w/ PP
Those are overall numbers that C&D got through theiin testing. These are actual real world numbers not EPA numbers fudged by manufacturers.
Well I have a 2013 V6 right now and I average 22mpg on my drive to work in traffic and I get nearly 32mpg on my drive between Temecula and San Jose when I take the I5. Test driving a car that isnt broken in is a poor way to judge fuel economy.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Well I have a 2013 V6 right now and I average 22mpg on my drive to work in traffic and I get nearly 32mpg on my drive between Temecula and San Jose when I take the I5. Test driving a car that isnt broken in is a poor way to judge fuel economy.
I got 18 mpg on a fill-up yesterday in my 2011 V6. I normally get 20-21; on pure highway drives I've gotten as high as 34. In heavy heavy heavy traffic, the type where you never get above 20 mph even for a second, I've had tanks with as low as 12 or 13.

The V6 is a great engine. Really is. I've loved my car for the last 4 years. I'd definitely take the V6 over the Ecoboost. But there's absolutely no way I'd ever get a Mustang without the premium trim, so it's sadly not even a glimmer of an option here. Ford is pushing people away from it, for CAFE reasons, which is understandable, but still a shame.
Sponsored