Sponsored

Factory Paint Job

***GT350***

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Just finished the first wash/wax on the GT350, and noticed these on on both doors. All on the edges:

Driver's side, this one is on the bottom corner (toward the front wheel)--

Passenger's side. few of these on mid-part (a little below/toward the hinge)--

The dealer said another GT350 (2017) on his lot has the same similar issue(s). Your thoughts? Most importantly, can a good detailer fix this? I don't feel like bringing this back to any ford dealerships and "let Ford handle this".
Sponsored

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
That is so bad.

The only way to do this is to scrape the paint and paint the entire panel as well as blending the paint.

I would get Ford to do this because its possible due to a bad paint job rust etc may become an issue in the long run. Make sure its documented.

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
Very sorry to see that.
Paints defects like that are inexcusable.
As said above - the doors will have to be repainted/panels blended.
CYA - have Ford cover the repair under warranty.
Keep us updated.

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
If you don't let Ford "handle it" then that gives them an out if you can't get it fixed or right.

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
This is so unacceptable, nowadays with technology, these paint defects shouldn't happen.

I had a paint booger under the hood at the lip which i fixed myself, no way i was gonna let the dealer fix this.

Also got my first paint chip last week on the hood and couldn't believe how paper thin the paint-clear is.

In your case, i would bring in the car and let Ford fix it, they're gonna have to re-spray the doors i would say.

Sponsored

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
This is so unacceptable, nowadays with technology, these paint defects shouldn't happen.

I had a paint booger under the hood at the lip which i fixed myself, no way i was gonna let the dealer fix this.

Also got my first paint chip last week on the hood and couldn't believe how paper thin the paint-clear is.

In your case, i would bring in the car and let Ford fix it, they're gonna have to re-spray the doors i would say.
Unfortunately with the conversion to environmentally friendly paints this problem has actually gotten worse. The problem is not limited to Ford, GM, Chrysler, BMW, Toyota, Mercedes, they are all having these issues more and more often. I will admit though the ones being shown on some of these mustangs are particularly bad.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I wouldn't let them respray, they could mess it up even more trying to blend it. I would take it to a good detailer and have them try to correct the best they could and just leave it. It is what it is with these cars. More often than not these cars have quality issues with the paint. I went through $500 in paint correction prior to clear bra and Opti Coat install. If you really want a car with quality paint, get a Viper or 911.

Edit: I looked at the pics more closely. I bet a good detailer could correct that.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't let them respray, they could mess it up even more trying to blend it. I would take it to a good detailer and have them try to correct the best they could and just leave it. It is what it is with these cars. More often than not these cars have quality issues with the paint. I went through $500 in paint correction prior to clear bra and Opti Coat install. If you really want a car with quality paint, get a Viper or 911.

Edit: I looked at the pics more closely. I bet a good detailer could correct that.
I know people with Porsche's who still had to do paint correction on 150K cars. Granted it wasn't like the issue shown but these cars don't come from the factory with 50K custom wet sanded paint jobs either.

Blue Raptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZL1 1LE, GT350, Ford RS, F350 Dually, Explorer
Sorry OP, that is really horrible. Every car maker has orange peel issues, but I never saw a factory paint job so bad as yours before. I'm sure Ford will make it right though.

Sponsored

DANA44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 convertible
I have a to a lesser degree a few on my hood and one door. Other manufacturers have been using water based paint for years. Take a look at a $20K new econbox it most likely will not have paint snots. Its an application issue along with a total lack of QC. Ford knows that are going out of the factory like this. I would say Ford knows what the fix is and the cost to correct the process. But

crazyfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 & '14 GT Track Car
I would not let the dealer Touch this. My car started like this now is a total mess and Ford has now wiped their hands of my situation and blamed everything on the dealer. They are now saying this is a dealer issue. So now going round and round for 12 weeks Tuesday said they will take another shot at it but no one will give me any assurance it will get better or won't get ant worse. Ford has set all of us with huge expectations on this gt350 and left most of us hanging. Yes I have seen some great looking and performing gt350's which seems to be the true exception no matter what model but most of us have accepted mediocrity at best and a substandard product and making excuses for ford. To me 100% unacceptable and Ford and their dealer network should be ashamed of their actions and take reasonable responsibility to fix these issues under warranty and if the dealer had contributed to more mistakes then fix it without a run around!! To much pointing fingers and the customer suffers and holds the bag.

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
Unfortunately, crummy paint seems to be a standard feature on GT 350s. I turned down the first one I ordered because the paint was so bad, and the replacement one had defects too. That's the problem with buying a $60,000 car that has the guts of a $20,000 car.

OP
OP

***GT350***

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Thank you everyone for your input.

I'm certain Ford will handle it, but it will end up at a local paint booth that is contracted by the local Ford dealership. When they re-spray it, I have to believe that they will not mickey-mouse and not spot-paint it. I simply have no trust in them, not at this point.

Since it's under on the edge of the doors, I will have a trusted detailer to do the best he can, then leave it as it is. I will keep you guys posted.

Having orange peel blablabla is one thing, but letting these paint booger out the factory's door simply tell me they don't give a shit. fuxk I'm pissed.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a to a lesser degree a few on my hood and one door. Other manufacturers have been using water based paint for years. Take a look at a $20K new econbox it most likely will not have paint snots. Its an application issue along with a total lack of QC. Ford knows that are going out of the factory like this. I would say Ford knows what the fix is and the cost to correct the process. But
To each his own but i strongly disagree with this opinion. Paint snots are rampant on many cars from many manufacturers, you can look under every new stingray front fascia and see them in the same spots. I'm not arguing that its acceptable on the mustang or that it isn't worse but we should not delude ourselves into believing this car is the only one that has issues related to paint.
Sponsored